Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

How would you find those charities? Are there links here or somewhere for that?
https://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/ if you go to registration, there is a section for charities. I have run for st jude a few times and loved them but know their fundraising fees, this late could be hard... fyi I am not affiliated with any of these charities and am just showing as examples... Here is one that is a 600.00 fundraising minimum https://wdw18.myhfotusa.org/Static/Event-Info this one is a 500 minimum fee https://www.active.com/lake-buena-v...orld-marathon-weekend-presented-by-cigna-2018

Have you run any other race that has run over the GG bridge. That's on my bucket list. I didn't know that SF RnR runs over the GG. I'm only aware of the SF Marathon/ HM. I'm only interested in the HM. Assuming LS doesn't happen, I'll be looking to run one of these races next year.

I've done the Across the Bay 12k twice which runs across the Golden Gate Bridge. I use it as a mid summer training run for fall half marathons. It's a point to point course so they bus you from San Francisco to Sausalito in the morning before the start of the race. The weather is hit or miss (in true San Francisco fashion). My first year the weather was sunny and beautiful, but this year it was foggy and windy across the bridge. I plan on running it again in 2018.

I ran the course last year and it is SO AWESOME to run along the beach. It isn't flat (very deceptive with inclines) but you'll rock it with your intervals :)

Yep. Hi.:wave::laughing:

No hesitation a week or two ago from Raw Threads to refund me my money. A couple of months ago they asked me to hold on. Now they're like "Yep, take it" and did the process the same day.

I am so sad too. :(
Oh wow! They already refunded you your money for LS? You are having an easier time with them than others are with rD, but that just really cemented everything for me :(

Oh wow! They already refunded you your money for LS? You are having an easier time with them than others are with rD, but that just really cemented everything for me :(

It looks like Raw Threads hadn't transferred their portion of the group registration to Active - but they weren't even hesitant at this point.

In other news and conspiracy corner.... I ordered a pack of mystery headbands from Sparkly Soul and these are styles they're trying to clearance out and move. Wouldn't you know that it was the "Light Side" specific star wars headband in there? :rotfl:

I'm not too hopeful at this point but stranger things have happened.

It looks like Raw Threads hadn't transferred their portion of the group registration to Active - but they weren't even hesitant at this point.

In other news and conspiracy corner.... I ordered a pack of mystery headbands from Sparkly Soul and these are styles they're trying to clearance out and move. Wouldn't you know that it was the "Light Side" specific star wars headband in there? :rotfl:

I'm not too hopeful at this point but stranger things have happened.

That doesn't surprise me.
I've heard from a previous Expo vendor that they don't even have contracts for Light Side weekend yet.

Just a little more than 3 months out and still no news. They just need to announce a cancellation already because things are not looking good. I feel bad for everyone who was planning to run and those who have money hanging out there from early registration.

I broke down and canceled our hotel for lightside weekend. We are going to go somewhere else instead. So, you can all thank me on Monday because now they will announce registration. Lol

That's just how my life rolls. :)
Lol That was my theory too when I registered for Avengers!

But ,... it could happen later in the year! :P

No way we're getting a January race. We're less than 100 days out at this point.
The Super Heros seems to be the least popular of the 4 Disneyland weekends...maybe they will move Star Wars to May (May the 4th be with you 5k?) and Tinkerbelle to November?

The Super Heros seems to be the least popular of the 4 Disneyland weekends...maybe they will move Star Wars to May (May the 4th be with you 5k?) and Tinkerbelle to November?

Can't see them doing that unless they also move Dark Side. The Kessel Run Challenge is a huge draw for both weekends. Even RunDisney has to realize that a late April Dark Side followed by an early May Light Side would be unmanageable for the vast majority. I think it would be much more likely to leave Tink where it is due to the different target audience from Dark Side and move Light Side to November if dropping Superheroes and relocating Light Side is the goal.

Just curious on the source of that - does Super Heroes sell the smallest number of entries? I've never seen actual data on the various RunDisney events to see what sells the best/worst, but it would be fascinating information.

Just curious on the source of that - does Super Heroes sell the smallest number of entries? I've never seen actual data on the various RunDisney events to see what sells the best/worst, but it would be fascinating information.

I guess the easiest way is just to look at overall bib numbers.

I guess the easiest way is just to look at overall bib numbers.

I would also maybe use 2016 data and not 2017 data. The Disneyland Half for 2017 registration was cut short without selling out, where as I think 2016 may provide better insight into normal circumstances.

Assuming that the event capacities are similar, I pulled the 2016 10k and half marathon finisher numbers from the weekends. That should give a decent approximation. Here's what I found:

10k Finishers
SWLS - 8,994
Tink - 8,369
DLH - 9,006
Super - 8,243

Half Finishers
SWLS - 11,612
Tink - 13,144
DLH - 13,084
Super - 7,734

The quick look shows that the 10k is probably pretty close to capacity for all weekends. The half finisher numbers, though, paint a pretty definitive picture that Superheroes is the least popular by a pretty large margin. Granted, this is only based on a single year's data, but it seems to bear out the conventional wisdom.

Assuming that the event capacities are similar, I pulled the 2016 10k and half marathon finisher numbers from the weekends. That should give a decent approximation. Here's what I found:

10k Finishers
SWLS - 8,994
Tink - 8,369
DLH - 9,006
Super - 8,243

Half Finishers
SWLS - 11,612
Tink - 13,144
DLH - 13,084
Super - 7,734

The quick look shows that the 10k is probably pretty close to capacity for all weekends. The half finisher numbers, though, paint a pretty definitive picture that Superheroes is the least popular by a pretty large margin. Granted, this is only based on a single year's data, but it seems to bear out the conventional wisdom.

The near similar numbers for Tink and DLH half marathons are a bit surprising to me. I wouldn't have thought that Tink would be nearly on the level as DLH, but it may be due to the number of corrals vs capacity. DLH did more, smaller corrals while Tink literally threw everyone into 5-6 corrals. Wow. Just... wow.

10k Finishers
SWLS - 8,994
Tink - 8,369
DLH - 9,006
Super - 8,243

Half Finishers
SWLS - 11,612
Tink - 13,144
DLH - 13,084
Super - 7,734

Thanks for that. Interesting numbers, especially Super Heroes. Just wow - not a lot of interest compared to the others. 2016 was the first year though, right? I wonder how much time they'd give it to establish a following before they pull the plug. It would be a shame to lose that one - it's one I'd like to do at some point, but it's not high on my priority list right now, what with all the other fall events I usually run.

Thanks for that. Interesting numbers, especially Super Heroes. Just wow - not a lot of interest compared to the others. 2016 was the first year though, right? I wonder how much time they'd give it to establish a following before they pull the plug. It would be a shame to lose that one - it's one I'd like to do at some point, but it's not high on my priority list right now, what with all the other fall events I usually run.

Looks like 2015 was actually the first year and had 10,763 finishers. I don't know if you call that the inaugural bump or if 2016 was the sophomore slump, but either way numbers are trending the wrong direction. It'll be interesting to see what attendance this year holds. IIRC, it shares the weekend with RnR Las Vegas and I think that may be siphoning a lot of West Coast runners away. From an academic standpoint it would be interesting to see what a different theme would draw for a couple of years to parse out whether the lower attendance is due to theme unpopularity or due to the proximity of RnR Vegas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter