Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

Looks like 2015 was actually the first year and had 10,763 finishers. I don't know if you call that the inaugural bump or if 2016 was the sophomore slump, but either way numbers are trending the wrong direction. It'll be interesting to see what attendance this year holds. IIRC, it shares the weekend with RnR Las Vegas and I think that may be siphoning a lot of West Coast runners away. From an academic standpoint it would be interesting to see what a different theme would draw for a couple of years to parse out whether the lower attendance is due to theme unpopularity or due to the proximity of RnR Vegas.

Actually, 2014 was the first year for the weekend (I remember quite clearly where I was when they made the announcement and I know for a fact that was 2014). 2015 was the first year for the challenge. I remember because I did both of those years before my schedule got too crazy to travel out for Super Heroes.

Actually, 2014 was the first year for the weekend (I remember quite clearly where I was when they made the announcement and I know for a fact that was 2014). 2015 was the first year for the challenge. I remember because I did both of those years before my schedule got too crazy to travel out for Super Heroes.

Good to know. The results on rD only go back to 2015 so I made a bad assumption. I don't think it really changes any of the conclusions, though.

Actually, the inaugural Star Wars weekend was January 15-18, 2015.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-nevada-corporation-finisher-medals-revealed/

http://www.starwars.com/news/rundisney-star-wars-the-course-awakens

Assuming that the event capacities are similar, I pulled the 2016 10k and half marathon finisher numbers from the weekends. That should give a decent approximation. Here's what I found:

10k Finishers
SWLS - 8,994
Tink - 8,369
DLH - 9,006
Super - 8,243

Half Finishers
SWLS - 11,612
Tink - 13,144
DLH - 13,084
Super - 7,734

The quick look shows that the 10k is probably pretty close to capacity for all weekends. The half finisher numbers, though, paint a pretty definitive picture that Superheroes is the least popular by a pretty large margin. Granted, this is only based on a single year's data, but it seems to bear out the conventional wisdom.

Interesting, I'm a little surprised that LS wasn't one of the top numbers for the half. Doesn't it sell out pretty quickly?

Trying to think about how they would cut things down to 3 or even 2 races in Anaheim. They could obviously just chop Marvel to cut it down to 3. This might sound like sacrilege but they could also combine Marvel and Star Wars weekends into one.

Interesting, I'm a little surprised that LS wasn't one of the top numbers for the half. Doesn't it sell out pretty quickly?

Trying to think about how they would cut things down to 3 or even 2 races in Anaheim. They could obviously just chop Marvel to cut it down to 3. This might sound like sacrilege but they could also combine Marvel and Star Wars weekends into one.

It wouldn't bother me to see rotating themes either, like they seem to be doing (somewhat) with the Disneyland Half. Keep the same date every year, but change it up using the various Disney intellectual properties - Marvel, Star Wars, various characters, etc.

To be fair of all races, you can actually see that registrations for SW-LS were increasing while the others were slipping.
https://cloudup.com/cMJ2R6eCHf2
cMJ2R6eCHf2

Avengers and Disneyland races have had the largest drops.

I've seen people mentioning in other forums that runDisney is now deleting comments people are making about Light Side registration on their (runDisney's) photos on Instagram. Seems that they haven't moved to doing this on Facebook yet, but many many comments have been scrubbed from Insta.

I've seen people mentioning in other forums that runDisney is now deleting comments people are making about Light Side registration on their (runDisney's) photos on Instagram. Seems that they haven't moved to doing this on Facebook yet, but many many comments have been scrubbed from Insta.

RunDisney needs to go back and retake Social Media 101 ... because that's the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do.

How ridiculous.

I can't blame them, theres no way for the social team to do right here. They aren't the ones holding things up and they somehow have to manage an increasingly angry situation on multiple platforms. Wish these complaints could bypass facebook and go straight to management.

It does no good to hold out. Just say you've cancelled the darn race. Why the suspense?

giphy.gif

Yes, I know things are not looking good. However I think if the event were to MIRACULOUSLY come back online, there's still a decent number of people who would sign up. I'm one of them! :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter