"Official" 2020 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - Poor Unfortunate Souls (2020 MNSSHP CANCELLED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just booked a stay at OKW with our points for after our Dream cruise in August so I'm hoping for a party on Thursday Aug 27th or Fri Aug 28th, but time will tell I guess!

We are thinking about doing MNSSHP during our trip in August.

1) I've read the first day of the party is super busy. Is it worth going on the first day or should we see if another day works? We would be there for the rides, my kids don't really care to see the characters.
2) I know we don't need a regular park ticket to attend the party but do most people just go to the park at 4 for the party or do they also get a park ticket and go during the day too?

2) I know we don't need a regular park ticket to attend the party but do most people just go to the park at 4 for the party or do they also get a park ticket and go during the day too?

We Waterpark during the day and head in at 4 to the party. Saves us a regular park ticket.

1) I've read the first day of the party is super busy. Is it worth going on the first day or should we see if another day works? We would be there for the rides, my kids don't really care to see the characters.

If you go in August, you have to think about your stamina. Some years August is extremely humid (more so than other years). Some people can do a day in the park and then the party. No way I could do that.

Be aware that the rides do not necessarily have short lines during the party. If you are not interested in party-specific things (characters, food, ride overlays, photo ops) then I believe you should think long and hard about whether to go to a party.

1. If your primary goal is the rides, I’d rethink the party.
2. We try to sleep in on party days. Relax by the pool, swim and eat at our resort before heading out, so we start the party refreshed.

If you go in August, you have to think about your stamina. Some years August is extremely humid (more so than other years). Some people can do a day in the park and then the party. No way I could do that.

Be aware that the rides do not necessarily have short lines during the party. If you are not interested in party-specific things (characters, food, ride overlays, photo ops) then I believe you should think long and hard about whether to go to a party.

We are definitely interested in the food, ride overlays, photo ops (and my kids are interested in the candy. haha) :) They just aren't really into characters anymore....

We are definitely interested in the food, ride overlays, photo ops (and my kids are interested in the candy. haha) :) They just aren't really into characters anymore....
Either way, stay away from the first date if possible. Its always the busiest day other than Halloween.

Either way, stay away from the first date if possible. Its always the busiest day other than Halloween.

So, would you suggest doing a short park day instead of the party? I'm so confused :) The days that we can go, on the days that are good days to go to Magic Kingdom, there are two halloween parties and 1 day that MK is closing early because of a corporate event. The second party is right at the end of our trip. I would do that as our last day, but it makes me nervous to do an early flight after the party and it seems weird to have a rest day and not go to a park the day before we leave.

So, would you suggest doing a short park day instead of the party? I'm so confused :) The days that we can go, on the days that are good days to go to Magic Kingdom, there are two halloween parties and 1 day that MK is closing early because of a corporate event. The second party is right at the end of our trip. I would do that as our last day, but it makes me nervous to do an early flight after the party and it seems weird to have a rest day and not go to a park the day before we leave.

I am confused. Did dates get announced while I was working?

I’ve attended several parties and always experienced relatively low wait times. Last October during the party we did Buzz, Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter, and Little Mermaid as walk one. Space, Splash and Big Thunder were all under 20 minutes. 15-20 minutes for Pirates. The only rides with longish waits were SDMT and Haunted Mansion. Personally I think the party is totally worth it for the rides and general atmosphere, especially if you’re not interested in characters.

The suspense! Are there historic days of the week they tend to do parties? Looking near the beginning of September.

I'm going the 9th-16th. If I get to go at all it will most likely be the 1st party 🙄 I will still go because we've never been, unless there's an after hours event. Wednesday is a pm EMH, Thursday is a 6 close and so is Saturday but that's rumored to be a corporate company buyout. I wish I knew dates, planning is hard this time for me. Tuesday is my 180 and I'm at a loss..

I'm not going to disagree that the first party should be avoided if possible. However, I have been to the first party a few times in the last few years, and I would say it IS better than not experiencing at all. Be aware if you go to the first party, that in my experience, the park seems MORE crowded than a regular MK day in August. Personally, I think this is because more people are NOT riding rides than on a regular park day.

What to do on party day is best left up to you. Do you think your group can handle it? My kids are teenagers, in really excellent physical condition. (I'm not but I muddle through as long as I do not race to rope drop a ride -- they do) We usually go to WDW in August so we know what the heat is like. We are from NJ, and honestly, it's the same humidity and we're used to it. I agree that the water park is a good idea if you don't have a regular park ticket, but I've frankly never agreed that a water park is less tiring that the regular park. Swimming is tiring (my kids are competition swimmers), the steps are tiring, standing in the heat with no AC breaks is tiring, being tossed around in the wave pool is exhausting -- nonetheless, all of this is fun.
Last year, we went to the first party. It was the last day of a 3 week Universal/WDW trip in which we had NO rest days. For the most part, we do rope drop to closing with the exception of the day after an after hours party we sleep in a bit. We arrived at MK at rope drop. We had a sit down lunch. At 3:30, my daughter and I got in line for Jack & Sally, then Moana, then Elvis Stitch. Boys did rides and had a counter service dinner We had pumpkin milkshakes. A few trick or treat stops. Rode Buzz (only ride). Did a few photo ops - a flaming pumpkin, hitchhiking ghost, the grave diggers, a castle photo. We went to the dessert party...it was a huge time suck. We had a lovely view of the fireworks and it was not crowded in the viewing area. While waiting for the fireworks, we had an obstructed view of the parade. After the fireworks...I think we went directly to Liberty square to get a great spot for the parade. We didn't need to be there that early, and the parade was delayed, so it felt pretty long. After the parade, we headed to the castle for the show. More snacks in there somewhere and trick or treat. Stayed until the very end. I think we got up at 8am the next day, packed up and drove home to NJ. It was tiring, but way better than not doing it.

I would not do the last party if you have an early morning flight the next day. If you really want to go and the first party is a better fit for your schedule, do that. We go to the first party and have a blast! Lots of people complain about the crowds, so just know that going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter