*** Official August 2021 thread ***

The Poly monorail construction still has a ways to go. The epcot line is from the TTC station, which is and has always been unaffected by the Poly construction and is used by Poly guests to get to MK while construction is ongoing at the Poly.

I'm not super familiar with the layout of the Polynesian. Are you saying the Epcot line and the resort line both go through the Polynesian resort area and they are able to use the one not under construction to get to the MK?

Did you re-book at another resort or did you just cancel it fully?

We rebooked at the Dolphin, but there's no going back now. We got a great deal on a studio suite, but it was a Marriott "AAA Hot Deal" -- paid in full and nonrefundable!

I'm disappointed at the thought that I might have relenquished our much-anticipated stay at the Polynesian for nothing -- the concept art for the new entrance has greeted me daily as my computer screen backdrop at work ever since we booked, because I enjoyed being reminded frequently of our upcoming trip -- but I know it will be fine. We saved a few hundred dollars making the change, we'll still be in a great location, and the Polynesian will still be there in a few years when we go back. I just feel a little jerked-around by Disney and was reacting emotionally in the moment. I appreciate everyone's patience with my pity party!

We rebooked at the Dolphin, but there's no going back now. We got a great deal on a studio suite, but it was a Marriott "AAA Hot Deal" -- paid in full and nonrefundable!

I'm disappointed at the thought that I might have relenquished our much-anticipated stay at the Polynesian for nothing -- the concept art for the new entrance has greeted me daily as my computer screen backdrop at work ever since we booked -- but I know it will be fine. We saved a few hundred dollars making the change, we'll still be in a great location, and the Polynesian will still be there in a few years when we go back. I just feel a little jerked-around by Disney and was reacting emotionally in the moment. I appreciate everyone's patience with my pity party!
We stayed there last March before the world caught on fire and we are staying at Boardwalk next month and I do plan on making some visits to the Poly (Ohana, Captain Cooks, hopefully Trader Sams). So get your fix by dropping in and having a meal and some beverages and try not to regret it..it is tough... maybe you can go down a night earlier and at least spend one night? I know that would be a big tease.

I'm not super familiar with the layout of the Polynesian. Are you saying the Epcot line and the resort line both go through the Polynesian resort area and they are able to use the one not under construction to get to the MK?

The Polynesian monorail station is only for the resort line. (The MK express loop passes through it on the outer rail, but does not stop.)

497px-WDW_MK_Railroad_and_Monorail.png

The EPCOT monorail line travels between EPCOT and the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and does not pass through the Polynesian or any resort. You can walk to the TTC from the Polynesian (there's a dedicated path) or else take the resort monorail from the Poly (when it reopens) to the TTC and then transfer to the EPCOT line.

While the Polynesian monorail station has been closed, guests wanting to go to EPCOT have had to rely on bus transportation. That transportation is expected to cease in "mid-August." Hence the speculation that Disney must expect the Polynesian monorail station to be up and running by then, since that would restore guests' pre-shutdown access to motorized means of transportation to EPCOT (via the resort monorail to the TTC, and then the EPCOT monorail), and render the buses redundant.

Last edited:

We stayed there last March before the world caught on fire and we are staying at Boardwalk next month and I do plan on making some visits to the Poly (Ohana, Captain Cooks, hopefully Trader Sams). So get your fix by dropping in and having a meal and some beverages and try not to regret it..it is tough... maybe you can go down a night earlier and at least spend one night? I know that would be a big tease.

That's a lovely thought. We'll be spending the prior night(s) at Royal Pacific at Universal, which will have to do. It's Polynesian in its own way. ;)

I understand they're two different lines. However, at the same time it announced the reopening of the EPCOT monorail, Disney stated that it would discontinue bus service from the Polynesian to EPCOT beginning in "mid-August." That's the basis upon which many bloggers and Disney tourist websites are speculating that the Polynesian monorail station is likely to be reopening then, and that's the part of the announcement to which I was reacting. I should have been a little clearer in my post.

Can you please provide a link to Disney's announcement about when the Polynesian monorail station will reopen? I can see it rumoured on the website linked in an earlier post but that is not an official Disney website and I cannot find an official Disney announcement, only announcements that it won't be re-opening with the resort.

My guess is that IF the direct bus is being stopped from the Polynesian to Epcot (again, not officially announced by Disney that I can find), it could be because guests may now walk from the Polynesian to the TTC and take the Epcot monorail from there? The distance from the Poly to TTC is 0.4/mile and anticipated to be a 6-8 min walk. Many resorts have distances this size that guests are required to walk to get to their transportation.

Not sure, just thinking out loud.

Can you please provide a link to Disney's announcement about when the Polynesian monorail station will reopen? I can see it rumoured on the website linked in an earlier post but that is not an official Disney website and I cannot find an official Disney announcement, only announcements that it won't be re-opening with the resort.

My guess is that IF the direct bus is being stopped from the Polynesian to Epcot (again, not officially announced by Disney that I can find), it could be because guests may now walk from the Polynesian to the TTC and take the Epcot monorail from there? The distance from the Poly to TTC is 0.4/mile and anticipated to be a 6-8 min walk. Many resorts have distances this size that guests are required to walk to get to their transportation.

I understand. Disney has not announced a reopening date for the Polynesian: only dates for which it will be stopping buses to EPCOT from the Grand Floridian (July 25), Contemporary (July 25, with a short return a couple days later to accommodate construction inside the Contemporary) and Polynesian (mid-August). Several of the [unofficial] Disney websites and forums are speculating that Disney must be expecting the Polynesian monorail station to open around that same "mid-August" time frame. Otherwise, Poly guests headed to EPCOT after the bus service ceases won't be able to reach EPCOT without walking to the TTC (or even to the Grand Floridian to catch the resort monorail to the TTC). While I realize it's a short and easy walk and have made it many times myself, if Disney thought that walking to the TTC or Grand Floridian were reasonable as the sole options for guests to start a journey to EPCOT, then it begs the question: why wouldn't they end the Polynesian's bus service to EPCOT when the EPCOT monorail opens on July 18, or at the latest, on the same date they discontinue EPCOT bus service for the other monorail resorts? The presumption is that if Disney is holding off, they must be waiting for a replacement means of transporting guests to the TTC so they can use the monorail to reach EPCOT -- specifically, the resort monorail.

Please note that I'm not saying this means the Polynesian's monorail station will absolutely open up in mid-August -- I'm just laying out the reasoning for why many people believe the announcement about EPCOT buses for Polynesian guests is a clue as to when Disney expects the new monorail station to open. I think it's the most reasonable way to interpret the information we have, but a reopening date has not been formally announced. I apologize if my initial post made it sound that way.

P.S. Disney apparently made this announcement about the EPCOT monorail reopening (and the dates for cessation of buses to EPCOT from the monorail resorts) to the press, but has not posted it on the Disney website or blog. However, news outlets in Orlando are reporting it, along with the more reputable Disney [unofficial] websites, so I have no reason to doubt its veracity. e.g., https://insidethemagic.net/2021/07/epcot-monorail-service-ba1/

Last edited:

Never mind.

Correct. The Polynesian stop connects to the main lobby area, and that is what is under construction. The TTC one is accessed by a walking path through the resort grounds. Depending on which building your room is a the Poly, you may actually be closer to the TTC than the main lobby. Even if you are at the other end of the resort, it's only a 5 minute walk.

I really hope we get hours added for the other three parks tomorrow (other than DHS, since that was extended last week)! Animal Kingdom closing at 6 really sticks out now that all DHS was extended to 9 for almost all of August.

I really hope we get hours added for the other three parks tomorrow (other than DHS, since that was extended last week)! Animal Kingdom closing at 6 really sticks out now that all DHS was extended to 9 for almost all of August.

Do they usually announce added park hours on a Friday?

Something exciting is that they ADDED FIREWORKS for August!!! :cool1:

It also confirms that those who are not going to the Boo Bash will still be able to see the fireworks those nights as they're being held before the park closes to day guests! :cheer2:
Thanks for posting!!!! With all the doom and gloom on wait times I needed a silver lining. I’ve really missed fireworks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter