• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Official August 2021 thread ***

DH is a teacher, so if things get really crazy here, I would think he and DD would be almost just as likely to get it once school starts. DD will have 10 days before she starts so that makes me feel better about her not spreading anything.

The news of the crazy increase of hospitalizations in FL concerned me a lot and made me start looking into our options.
That is one of my concerns as well. The girls are back in school and delta is surging again here. My hospital had 0 infections two weeks ago and now we're back to desperately adding ventilated rooms and locating the novel drug therapies we're using to combat infection. I have my little (6) masking, but my ODD (11) is disabled, unable to mask, and in a room with 12 other disabled children and 3 teachers. I *could* keep her home, but then she misses all therapies AND legitimately DH and I need the break school provides from her care. That sounds lazy but it is just exhausting. As contagious as Delta is, it doesn't seem possible for them to both be going to school and NOT get COVID19 delta variant sooner, rather than later. And we did SO well last year....

I have seen several breakthrough infections, but all the patients who are severely ill are unvaccinated, if that offers you any peace of mind. Of course, that could just be luck since this is all so new.

That is one of my concerns as well. The girls are back in school and delta is surging again here. My hospital had 0 infections two weeks ago and now we're back to desperately adding ventilated rooms and locating the novel drug therapies we're using to combat infection. I have my little (6) masking, but my ODD (11) is disabled, unable to mask, and in a room with 12 other disabled children and 3 teachers. I *could* keep her home, but then she misses all therapies AND legitimately DH and I need the break school provides from her care. That sounds lazy but it is just exhausting. As contagious as Delta is, it doesn't seem possible for them to both be going to school and NOT get COVID19 delta variant sooner, rather than later. And we did SO well last year....

I have seen several breakthrough infections, but all the patients who are severely ill are unvaccinated, if that offers you any peace of mind. Of course, that could just be luck since this is all so new.
Never ever apologize for self care, especially as a parent of a child with special needs! You are NOT lazy, you are amazing. Im willing to bet that her therapies and consistencies at school are incredibly important to all of you.

If DD was fully vaccinated, I don’t think we’d be worried.

FWIW, as of right now, we have decided to go. We decided a higher risk at Disney is worth it compared to a still risky local vacation, because for our mental health we NEED to do something fun. The risk/reward has swung toward being it worth it for my family. We will self isolate when we get home and cross our fingers, so at least we will be sure that we won’t have the guilt of giving it to others at home. I’m going to get KN95 masks to go with our collection of surgical masks. 😂

Never ever apologize for self care, especially as a parent of a child with special needs! You are NOT lazy, you are amazing. Im willing to bet that her therapies and consistencies at school are incredibly important to all of you.

If DD was fully vaccinated, I don’t think we’d be worried.

FWIW, as of right now, we have decided to go. We decided a higher risk at Disney is worth it compared to a still risky local vacation, because for our mental health we NEED to do something fun. The risk/reward has swung toward being it worth it for my family. We will self isolate when we get home and cross our fingers, so at least we will be sure that we won’t have the guilt of giving it to others at home. I’m going to get KN95 masks to go with our collection of surgical masks. 😂
On our last trip I brought KN95s on the plane and was glad I did. Even though the air is recycled, all seats were sold so I was elbow to elbow with a stranger who either snacked/ate maskless or wore his mask under his nose the whole flight and and no amount of filtration is going to help when someone's face is one foot away. The KN95 fit so well though and made me feel much more comfortable.

Color me ignorant but some of the resorts aren't using Magic Bands anymore? Around the WS for food and wine can I still swipe my wrist and put it on the room? Or restaurants across property?

I am unaware of any Disney resorts that do not still use magic bands.

All Disney resorts do. I wonder if the pp was referring to some of the resorts located on Disney property that are not Disney-owned (e.g., Swan/Dolphin, Four Seasons, Disney Springs area "good neighbor" hotels)

Anyone have kn95‘s they recommend that will be here in like 3 days. 😂

What are you considering? Are you flying? I have to fly down because I’m going alone. I do have a rental car so I’d use that instead of buses. I have my masks. Last time I wore glasses on the plan to help but I could wear my face shield.
I guess I feel the highest risk is on the plane where I can’t distance, but the air is cycled through filters.
We are flying. We could move our dates out to next summer. As of right now, the flights would only cost us an additional $100 for some reason. So that is a big factor. I did a bunch of research and planes are actually one of the safest places. The air is cleaned, not just recycled.

Indoor dining is much worse than planes.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...n-is-the-air-on-your-airplane-coronavirus-cvd
Although we are all vaccinated, I'm considering cancelling our Oga's reservation. I was SO looking forward to it, but I realized that it is the most risky thing we'll be doing the whole time. Other than maybe MCO.

All Disney resorts do. I wonder if the pp was referring to some of the resorts located on Disney property that are not Disney-owned (e.g., Swan/Dolphin, Four Seasons, Disney Springs area "good neighbor" hotels)

i was refering to if you are staying at swan/dolphin or any good neighbor hotels where you still get all the usual disney perks but you cant charge back to your room.

All Disney resorts still use MagicBands. They're just no longer provided for free. They can be purchased for a reduced price on your MyDisneyExperience reservation page or at full price in the parks and at your resort.
Anyone have kn95‘s they recommend that will be here in like 3 days. 😂
I would recommend a store like Home Depot if you have one close, or something similar.

DH and I started seriously considering cancelling today. We are supposed to head down on Saturday. We’re so torn. DD just had her first vaccine on July 23 (her 12th birthday, 😂). Statistically we should all be fine, but after all this time being so careful, it’s hard to let that go. Dh and I are both vaccinated but technically high risk (well-controlled diabetes for him and mostly-outgrown asthma for me).

One thing that might actually keep us going is that cases are rising in our state. We were planning on doing something more local, but at some point you just throw your hands in the air and wave them cuz you care, but just can’t deal anymore! ;P
It's so hard to know what to do! DH and I are flying in from Massachusetts in two weeks, and we're both fully vaccinated. We've been so careful for so long, and I'm not worried about getting sick but bringing it back with us. We're DVC members who already postponed this trip LAST year, and we'll lose our points if we don't go by February. I looked at rebooking in a few months, but al the resorts are totally full due to the 50th anniversary celebration!

***Anyone ordering masks from Amazon please do your due diligence and make sure they are legit. If you go to CDC site you will see how they explicitly say MOST KN95s are knock-offs and to be very careful where you buy them.***

Now, for the good part. You you can but actual N95 masks for places were you feel you absolutely need to wear them, like hospital settings or if you are severely compromised and are in a large crowd - I get mine at United States Mask out of Arlington, Texas. They have been great. They are actually are the temporary approval list with the CDC/FDA during this pandemic. You can verify all this. Check them out. I am not sure how fast they could ship to you, however. Perhaps they have expedited shipping.

There is another American-made mask company out of California, Lutema. They make regular masks for adults and kids as well as some additional multi-layer masks - more than the surgical masks.

I just offer up this info to those above who had some circumstances that seemed to be weighing on them and their children. This is all a very stressful time for all of us.

We are still going through with our trip as long as our state does not stop travel. As we are from NY, anything is possible.

I would be more concerned with indoor dining than the airplanes for those of you who mentioned above. My plan is to do mobile ordering at the actual restaurants that participate and either eat outside or take back to resort when possible. We have scaled back our expectations quite a bit. As we have not left our state since October 2019 I will be happy to do anything for my family's mental health. I am concerned, but I am keeping an eye on the info and trying to be positive and also watching what happens in UK which seems to be about a month ahead of us in this Delta trend.

Good luck to all.

***Anyone ordering masks from Amazon please do your due diligence and make sure they are legit. If you go to CDC site you will see how they explicitly say MOST KN95s are knock-offs and to be very careful where you buy them.***

Now, for the good part. You you can but actual N95 masks for places were you feel you absolutely need to wear them, like hospital settings or if you are severely compromised and are in a large crowd - I get mine at United States Mask out of Arlington, Texas. They have been great. They are actually are the temporary approval list with the CDC/FDA during this pandemic. You can verify all this. Check them out. I am not sure how fast they could ship to you, however. Perhaps they have expedited shipping.

There is another American-made mask company out of California, Lutema. They make regular masks for adults and kids as well as some additional multi-layer masks - more than the surgical masks.

I just offer up this info to those above who had some circumstances that seemed to be weighing on them and their children. This is all a very stressful time for all of us.

We are still going through with our trip as long as our state does not stop travel. As we are from NY, anything is possible.

I would be more concerned with indoor dining than the airplanes for those of you who mentioned above. My plan is to do mobile ordering at the actual restaurants that participate and either eat outside or take back to resort when possible. We have scaled back our expectations quite a bit. As we have not left our state since October 2019 I will be happy to do anything for my family's mental health. I am concerned, but I am keeping an eye on the info and trying to be positive and also watching what happens in UK which seems to be about a month ahead of us in this Delta trend.

Good luck to all.
Thank you! It looks like Office Depot has their masks on clearance and with 1 day shipping if I spend more than $45. I feel more comfortable buying from them, especially since I see that they have more than a few of the approved brands.

DH found some news stories about children in ICUs in FL and now he’s on the fence. My throat hurts (not when I swallow, more the outside where my glands are) and that’s freaking me out. We’re a mess.

Good luck to all.
I think it actually helps to see that every county in most of the USA has high spread of Delta right now, so I’m not really any safer staying home since I have to go to work and the girls are in school.

NNOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo... the Hear Now/Just Back thread is "closed for further replies"! If another thread opens up, can someone link it here? I'm basically having a panic attack right now because I've been depending on that thread so much to keep me informed about the facts on the ground.

NNOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo... the Hear Now/Just Back thread is "closed for further replies"! If another thread opens up, can someone link it here? I'm basically having a panic attack right now because I've been depending on that thread so much to keep me informed about the facts on the ground.
They are cleaning it. It happens a lot lately. Don’t panic! ;)

The thread has been reopened. We sometimes need to close it temporarily to clean up inappropriate posts and reports. We want to keep the thread open but we just need people to follow the rules we've been given.

I completely understand how helpful that thread is!

The thread has been reopened. We sometimes need to close it temporarily to clean up inappropriate posts and reports. We want to keep the thread open but we just need people to follow the rules we've been given.

I really appreciate you and the other mods dealing with it all right now. Posts like this one and that one are essential for us making decisions about our trips.

BTW I think we are back on the not cancelling side of the fence.

They are cleaning it. It happens a lot lately. Don’t panic! ;)

I really appreciate you and the other mods dealing with it all right now. Posts like this one and that one are essential for us making decisions about our trips.

BTW I think we are back on the not cancelling side of the fence.
Thanks, all. Sorry for the panic! I've been reading literally every post in that thread and feel like I learn something new every day. Very grateful to both the posters who supply all kinds of useful info and the mods for keeping it on track (even/especially when it's me that gets a bit off topic needs reminding!) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter