OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

I love seeing everyone’s plans and getting the reservations all squared away!

I’m wondering if I should make more? I thought about Carthay Circle because I LOVE it but I don’t know about taking the kids...

So far we plan on getting to GCH early on the 12/15. Fingers crossed that are rooms are ready early or that they’ll let us use the CL lounge beforehand.

12/15: Hubby and son to see StarWars at the AMC theater and my daughter and I have reservations at Ariel’s Grotto for early dinner. I also went ahead and booked the WOC Dessert Party for our first night. Hoping the kids won’t be too exhausted. But I’m not making them get up for EMH the next morning so hopefully they’ll sleep in a little.

12/16: Our day will start at Plaza Inn for Breakfast with Minnie at 9am. And then....eeeeekkkkkk.....our tour guide is going to meet us outside of restaurant to begin our tour! Don’t want to make sit down lunch reservations due to the tour, so we’ll do CS. Our tour will end with seats for Christmas parade. Not sure what we’ll do afterwards....but I’m thinking hotel break and room service for dinner? We’ll head back for our VIP seats for Fantasmic!

12/17: breakfast with Santa at Catal resturaunt at 11:00am. I’ll let husband go watch football for a little bit at ESPN while I take the kids into the park. I have no other reservations that day....??

12/18: thinking about some breakfast reservations before we go home??

If you think that your family will need a break from the crowds, and you are not planning on going back to your hotel, then I would consider making reservations for either a lunch or dinner or whatever works with your plans. This was my intention for both Christmas day and New Year's Eve. We are expecting the crowds to be insane those 2 days (we know the crowds will be insane during the week too) so DH and I figured that we would get to the parks early in the morning (we are going to utilize EMH) and stay until park close...also, instead of our usual break during the afternoon at our resort, we would make lunch reservations and just take it slow...if it takes us 2 hours to eat, then so be it, at least we are sitting inside out of the madness.
Yeah I deff thinking knowing my husband and I we will want a break. I went ahead and made lunch reservations at carnation cafe on the 28th and dinner reservations at rainforest cafe on the 29th. I've always wanted to go there anyway!

However little note. I tried making the rainforest cafe reservation on the Disneyland app and it told me there were no more available, but I called them directly and got a table.

Yeah I deff thinking knowing my husband and I we will want a break. I went ahead and made lunch reservations at carnation cafe on the 28th and dinner reservations at rainforest cafe on the 29th. I've always wanted to go there anyway!

However little note. I tried making the rainforest cafe reservation on the Disneyland app and it told me there were no more available, but I called them directly and got a table.

Good to know because I keep getting the same info for RFC as well. I guess I'll call them and reserve.

Good to know because I keep getting the same info for RFC as well. I guess I'll call them and reserve.

RFC only lets you book breakfast and lunch through the Disney app/website.

The best thing to do is expect crowds. It won't be crowded if you get there for opening with your 3 year old. You will probably get 2 good hours on rides in fantasyland that the kids will enjoy before they start to get busy. A lot of people will leave after the fireworks and if you are willing to continue after that you can get in some of the more popular rides for a couple of hours with a quicker queue (although this might be hard with kids). If you have a stroller it works great for the 3 year old to have a rest in it and they can sleep while the rest of the family watch the fireworks.

The shows have always been at those times and I can't ever remember them being earlier then 9pm. You will be surprised how long the kids can say awake if they get a rest in the afternoon. Of course you can only rest in the afternoon if you are going for multiple days.

You don't have to get AP's till you have been in the park all day so maybe you can assess it after that. You can put your ticket value to the AP price. No need to rush into it until you know how your kids can handle it.

The worst thing you can do is stress about it. It will be a great time, the kids will love it and you will make exciting memories which will live with you and them for a long time to come. Isn't that the whole point of going to disneyland ? To have a great day, forget the outside world an all its stress, and as a family create magical memories which you can all remember..

I am fairly confident in our ability to tour around the crowds since we are frequent visitors, it is just daunting seeing just how crowded Disney expects the parks to be that week. We will survive, though.

Our original plan was to upgrade to AP's w/ MaxPass right away so we can use them that first day. I have a feeling MP is going to be a life saver, I have to consider that extra $40 for our first day if we don't upgrade right away. Lots to think about and discuss with the hubby.
I'd have to pull my old spreadsheets but last time we went in December (2013) I swear the fireworks and shows were earlier. I could be wrong. My kids wake up early (well, the 3 year old does... and then on vacation that means everyone does!) so I'm not worried about missing out on those crucial opening hours....but if we end up staying late, that could change.

I am fairly confident in our ability to tour around the crowds since we are frequent visitors, it is just daunting seeing just how crowded Disney expects the parks to be that week. We will survive, though.

Our original plan was to upgrade to AP's w/ MaxPass right away so we can use them that first day. I have a feeling MP is going to be a life saver, I have to consider that extra $40 for our first day if we don't upgrade right away. Lots to think about and discuss with the hubby.
I'd have to pull my old spreadsheets but last time we went in December (2013) I swear the fireworks and shows were earlier. I could be wrong. My kids wake up early (well, the 3 year old does... and then on vacation that means everyone does!) so I'm not worried about missing out on those crucial opening hours....but if we end up staying late, that could change.

The fireworks etc. definitely were earlier then- as Disneyland was only open til like 8 or 9. Hours started to expand last couple of years.

I was making another reservation tonight and noticed the the Fantasmic premium viewing option at RBT has increased from $15 to $25. Just a heads up if anyone has already booked.

Upgrade to premium 8:00 PM seating for an additional $25 per adult and $15 per child (ages 3 to 9) and enjoy your meal as well as the first performance of Fantasmic! from your seat on the outdoor patio. Reservations for the premium 8:00 PM seating can only be made at the restaurant or by calling (714) 781-DINE or (714) 781-3463 between 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM daily. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

The fireworks etc. definitely were earlier then- as Disneyland was only open til like 8 or 9. Hours started to expand last couple of years.

Okay, so I wasn't making that up, lol. The change definitely makes sense.
Side note, I'm in the camp of being disappointed about no evening Christmas parade...there is something extra special about night-time parades!

I think we are both right :)

Just checked for reference (Chose first Saturday of December):

2016 :
Fireworks : 8:50pm
World of Colour : 9:45pm
Fantasmic: None

2015 :
Fireworks : 9:30pm
World of Colour : 9:00pm / 10:15pm
Fantasmic: 9:00pm / 10:45pm

2014 :
World of Colour : 8:15pm
Fantasmic: 9:00pm / 10:30pm

2013 :

2012 :

These can be confirmed from http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/park-hours.cfm?month=12&year=2013
Just change the year.

Looks like for at least the last 5 years they have been at these times. For all 8am-12pm days (which is normal these days for holiday seasons) the hours are pretty standard.

If you check other days of the week when Disneyland closed earlier the hours are slightly earlier as you indicated.

My wife and I will be going 12/11 - 12/15! We’re staying at the Holiday Inn Express directly behind the Courtyard Marriott. We stayed there last year and it was a great hotel with a 10 minute walk to the gates. We like it because the location is sort of peaceful, compared to the hotels directly across the street. And it’s easy to go somewhere in our car, whereas it can be very difficult to pull out of the slightly closer hotels.

We love the regular “theme park food” at Disneyland so much that we only made one dining reservation, for Cafe Orleans! I’m not kidding, we’ll probably each eat 5 corn dogs while we’re there!

I wanted to book Cafe Orleans as part of the Fantasmic dining package, but no dates in December are showing up for me. Am I doing something wrong?

My wife and I will be going 12/11 - 12/15! We’re staying at the Holiday Inn Express directly behind the Courtyard Marriott. We stayed there last year and it was a great hotel with a 10 minute walk to the gates. We like it because the location is sort of peaceful, compared to the hotels directly across the street. And it’s easy to go somewhere in our car, whereas it can be very difficult to pull out of the slightly closer hotels.

We love the regular “theme park food” at Disneyland so much that we only made one dining reservation, for Cafe Orleans! I’m not kidding, we’ll probably each eat 5 corn dogs while we’re there!

I wanted to book Cafe Orleans as part of the Fantasmic dining package, but no dates in December are showing up for me. Am I doing something wrong?
I think Cafe Orleans was only an option while River Belle Terrace was being refurbished.

Cafe Orleans is only doing Fantasmic packages until Nov 20 (I wanted to dine there for Fantasmic too).

I was making another reservation tonight and noticed the the Fantasmic premium viewing option at RBT has increased from $15 to $25. Just a heads up if anyone has already booked.

Upgrade to premium 8:00 PM seating for an additional $25 per adult and $15 per child (ages 3 to 9) and enjoy your meal as well as the first performance of Fantasmic! from your seat on the outdoor patio. Reservations for the premium 8:00 PM seating can only be made at the restaurant or by calling (714) 781-DINE or (714) 781-3463 between 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM daily. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.
Thanks i did not know that they had increased. Although it does not change my plans i like to know how much i will spend on character/sit down restaurants and try and get some GC to pay for them.

Thanks i did not know that they had increased. Although it does not change my plans i like to know how much i will spend on character/sit down restaurants and try and get some GC to pay for them.
Me too. I am hoping they have improved the experience for the upgrade price. I know they did something with lampposts from the development permits.

Yeah Disneyland has always closed later on the weekends, it has just been the weekday schedule that they have been adjusting. I think once people go during the holidays, they want to keep coming back- part of the reason for bigger crowds- thus more hours.

I think we are both right :)

Just checked for reference (Chose first Saturday of December):

2016 :
Fireworks : 8:50pm
World of Colour : 9:45pm
Fantasmic: None

2015 :

2014 :
World of Colour : 8:15pm
Fantasmic: 9:00pm / 10:30pm

2013 :

2012 :

These can be confirmed from http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/park-hours.cfm?month=12&year=2013
Just change the year.

Looks like for at least the last 5 years they have been at these times. For all 8am-12pm days (which is normal these days for holiday seasons) the hours are pretty standard.

If you check other days of the week when Disneyland closed earlier the hours are slightly earlier as you indicated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter