Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Ordered a custom cake from the Contemporary for delivery at California Grill. It was a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream (we were limited to Gluten Free chocolate or vanilla). Cake was yummy and way too big for 4 people, it worked out well...most GF options for dessert were lacking, so at least we had cake! It was $103 which included $8 extra for Gluten free.

Wow! Great cake!

Last edited:
IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2850.JPG We are just home from a week at Disney celebrating my son's birthday and the 4th of July. I ordered him a custom cake through the contemporary bakery to be delivered to Chef Mickey's. It was a Donald Duck themed cake (I sent a pic we found online for them to replicate). The cake was chocolate with chocolate buttercream in between the layers and vanilla buttercream on top (underneath the fondant layer). It was a 9in cake and cost $136. The "hat" on top was actually solid milk chocolate covered in fondant and supported by beams inside the cake. I think it turned out super cute and my son loved it! I am dairy allergic, so I couldn't try it, but those that ate it said that they enjoyed it. My husband claimed he actually liked my daughter's bday cake from Erin McKenna's NYC bakery better.

We are checking into AKL on July 25, and I'd like to have a cake delivered to the room as the 26th is my birthday! It's only DH and I on this trip, so I only want a 6" cake. Is anyone having any luck getting a custom 6" cake at AKL? Three years ago I had a lovely 6" red velvet cake with custard&fresh raspberry filling delivered to Jiko, and it was pretty cheap, too (I actually checked back and it was $32, not $45 as I'd said in a previous post). ANYHOW... Amanda was reasonably easy to work with, but I've been reading that there's a new pastry chef in town- and s/he's not as flexible. If I'm going to do this I need to do it soon... Do you think I'll have any luck with a special request flavor (red velvet w/cream cheese filling or chocolate w/peanut butter filling, either with vanilla buttercream) in a 6" cake?

ETA... or maybe we'll have breakfast at Boma on my birthday and I'll have a cake delivered there!!

Last edited:
It's always worth asking. Explain what you were able to get from them before and ask if you can have an email for contacting the pastry chef directly.

It's always worth asking. Explain what you were able to get from them before and ask if you can have an email for contacting the pastry chef directly.

That's what I was going to try; it's how I got Amanda to do it last time. I mentioned that I had a "friend" who'd ordered a custom 6" so she said OK. I didn't mention that the "friend" I was referring to was you, lurkyloo!! (this was just after you'd posted pics of your hippo cake...)

Has any one asked for or successful gotten a Marvel inspired cake?

They can't do characters because of copyright issues but someone recently posted a pic of a Loki cake they had made. Scroll through the last few pages and you should find it. They did the colors and a design Loki inspired and then they brought their own Loki figurine to put on top.

They can't do characters because of copyright issues but someone recently posted a pic of a Loki cake they had made. Scroll through the last few pages and you should find it. They did the colors and a design Loki inspired and then they brought their own Loki figurine to put on top.

That was me! It was through GF. Pat looked through their characters and she said she didn't have any Marvel/Avengers ones. The pic of what they made is on page 31 of this thread. We were really happy with it.

That's what I was going to try; it's how I got Amanda to do it last time. I mentioned that I had a "friend" who'd ordered a custom 6" so she said OK. I didn't mention that the "friend" I was referring to was you, lurkyloo!! (this was just after you'd posted pics of your hippo cake...)

Hey, DISboards friends are totally legit friends! :thumbsup2

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for this cake?

I have not priced it yet. I am waiting till closer to our trip to order it. I found this on an old thread and they paid $95 for it then. I am sure it will cost more than that now

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for this cake?

I have not priced it yet. I am waiting till closer to our trip to order it. I found this on an old thread and they paid $95 for it then. I am sure it will cost more than that now

Last evening I sent email to the Contemporary address listed here asking about a 6" cake to be delivered to California Grill on 7/26 (happy birthday to ME!!). I asked about the price on several different flavor/filling combinations. I also said I didn't want anything special for the decorations, gave several different color-combination suggestions, and said I'd leave it up to the chef to decide. I haven't heard anything back yet, but this cake is needed 2 weeks from tonight. How long should I wait to hear from the pastry chef? I know they seem to be pretty timely with their replies. I'm keeping this a secret from my husband. I figure ONE of us should be surprised on my birthday!!

Last edited:
Last evening I sent email to the Contemporary address listed here asking about a 6" cake to be delivered to California Grill on 7/26 (happy birthday to ME!!). I asked about the price on several different flavor/filling combinations. I also said I didn't want anything special for the decorations, gave several different color-combination suggestions, and said I'd leave it up to the chef to decide. I haven't heard anything back yet, but this cake is needed 2 weeks from tonight. How long should I wait to hear from the pastry chef? I know they seem to be pretty timely with their replies. I'm keeping this a secret from my husband. I figure ONE of us should be surprised on my birthday!!

Answering my own post, because i just heard back from Donald at the Contemporary!! That's less then 24 hours turn-around- I'm pretty impressed! Here's much of his reply, for anyone who's trying to figure out a cake budget:

"The price for a 6” cake decorated with buttercream flowers in the colors you requested would be as follows:
Chocolate cake/white chocolate mousse filling/vanilla buttercream; $23
Chocolate cake/peanut butter filling/vanilla buttercream frosting; $28 (specialty filling)
Red velvet cake/cream cheese filling/vanilla buttercream frosting; $38 (specialty flavor cake and filling)
Almond cake/amaretto mousse (crunch?) filling/buttercream frosting. $38 (specialty flavor cake and filling)"

He went on to say to call the cake hotline to place the order. NOW I just have to decide what kind of cake I want!!

Hello! I have been following the cake threads for ages, without a reason to truly consider buying one, but I'm strongly considering ordering for my daughter's 4th birthday--the trip is a surprise, and just after her birthday. That said, I need help (there is just too much info in here for a cake novice, like myself, to sort through it).
We are staying at Art of Animation. We only have 4 people in our party.

Ideally, I would love to get a haunted mansion cake (her favorite ride!)--probably a 6", if possible. I am not opposed to a mini, but it seems this is not a great value, generally. I would prefer to spend less than $75 as I am an adept baker and cake decorator, just can't justify more than this.

I adore this cake, aside from the fondant which we wouldn't want (YUCK!!!), but am fine going with a more simplified style. Just wallpaper and the portrait maybe?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/Giordie73/IMG_0335_zpsce3fac39.jpg

Is this possible or am I dreaming too big? I'm really flexible with the look. Is it possible to get a cake like this in our room? If not, where could this happen? We have reservations already, or qould be willing to collect it somewhere, if necessary... Please help guide me--I'm a mess when it comes to how Disney cakes work. Thank you!

You can't get the wallpaper without doing fondant, since they screen print it directly on the fondant. But you just peel off the fondant and there's buttercream underneath it. Also, Disney's fondant isn't like any fondant you've had elsewhere. It's sort of marshmallowy, and over the years I've seen many many fondant haters end up loving it. Either way, there's always that buttercream on the cake.

You can try ordering the cake by calling the number for Art of Animation in Post #2 of this thread. Their cakes are made by Yacht & Beach Club, which has the capability to do fancy cakes. But AoA won't let you speak directly with a pastry chef, and you cannot order a cake for delivery to AoA by contacting Yacht & Beach Club directly.

The easiest place to work with is the Contemporary, so if you have an ADR at any of that resort's restaurants, that might be your best bet. You can send them the photo at the email in Post #2 and find out how simple you'd need to go to keep the price under $75, if that's possible.

Can't wait! Just ordered a custom Moana cake from Yacht and Beach Club for DD's Surprise birthday! Will post a pic next Friday! WooHoo!

I didn't know you could order cupcakes. Is there a list of cupcakes are available? I thought you could only order cakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter