Official Dopey 2018 Thread

My guess is that it is similar to why some of us are on that first 3:30 AM bus to the starting line while others of us are getting an extra hour of sleep. It would probably not surprise you which one I am. :) My friend who ran the marathon with me in 2016 wanted to kill me.

Awww. Hope your friend understands the desire to be early. I'll be with you on that 3:30am bus, but I'll be heading to the race retreat for the half and marathon. ;)

I think there will always be paranoia about a Disney race. Never fails to have me signed on with two computers and credit cards ready to go.... hehe

I want so bad to run Dopey in 2018!!!! I just started running after my last little was born 2 years ago. I've done 6 halves since Oct 2015 to include the Darkside challenge and just recently the W&D challenge. As much as my heart wants to do it my situation is iffy. I'm a stay at home mom to 3 wonderful kids all under 7, two of which have life threatening food allergies. My husband is military and will be gone 8 months out of the next year so I have no one to help with the kids while I run. My dad helped me the first year I ran but his health has declined and the kids are too much for him when my mom is working. The kids usually come with me for the races but childcare during the events would be over $500 dollars with Kids Nite Out. I'm trying to find away to pull it off. I'm already doing the Darkside challenge again but thats all I have on the radar. I'm beating myself up trying to get it together!

It has been said, but I agree with the thought that it is the combination of all the anniversary events next year and the Half cancellation this year that will lead to very high demand. It was not that long ago that Dopey sold out in hours. My first WDW Marathon Weekend was Goofy 2015. I wanted to do Dopey, I tried signing up at about 4:45pm ( it had opened at Noon). Dopey was completely sold out by then. I am planning to go back in 2018 as it will make three Dopey's for me and I expect it will be a great weekend. But I will wait for registration day. I will be set and ready to go by 11:45am on 2/14 though. I think so long as you are ready to go right as it turns on and you stick with it I think the odds are pretty good. But who knows for sure?

Has anyone ever used the Runners World VIP package? Or know of someone who has posted a review? Been googling but can't seem to find any references to it.

Part of me would be keen to do the RW package, whilst the rest of me wants to just register for Dopey with a TA and avoid any stress :)

I've done several marathons and a few ultras. Once you get to the furthest run, my opinion is that it becomes very personal and hard to take advice. With that said, I'd aim more for time on feet than distance.

So, for this type event, and not meant for a well trained athlete but a "first timer" type I'd recommend maybe a 3-4 day consecutive Dopey type training event of short run, 1 hour run, 2 hour run, 3-4 hour run. Then let the pace fall where it may. I'd do this 5-6 weeks out. Tailor to fit your needs.

I'd also recommend looking at this not as a marathon, but as a 48 mile run with another 20-40 mils of walking. Think of all the mileage you'll be putting gin and prepare for the entire Week starting with the Expo, the runs, and doing whatever walking of the parks you have planned.

Good advice!! This will be my first marathon so why not be Dopey with it :) I've always trained each day based on what mileage needs to be done but I like the idea of going out for specific times.

Awww. Hope your friend understands the desire to be early. I'll be with you on that 3:30am bus, but I'll be heading to the race retreat for the half and marathon. ;)

I think there will always be paranoia about a Disney race. Never fails to have me signed on with two computers and credit cards ready to go.... hehe

Have you done the race retreat before? I was looking at that tonight and was wondering if it was worth it.

Had RD always done 5 years for lanyards/bibs for legacy runners for other races and challenges?

Has anyone ever used the Runners World VIP package? Or know of someone who has posted a review? Been googling but can't seem to find any references to it.

Part of me would be keen to do the RW package, whilst the rest of me wants to just register for Dopey with a TA and avoid any stress :)

I did the Runners World package for the first Dopey. It was awesome to have all the bells and whistles included. That being said it was also expensive, which the price has gone up (more than just in relation to the rD event price increases.) If you are totally in for every facet of the Dopey weekend, it is an interesting option. On the other hand, pricing it all out and buying only the pieces you want/need is an alternative option. Especially since one of their selling points is 'an exclusive online forum to ask and answer questions'. Wonder where you could find something like that.......:rolleyes1

Had RD always done 5 years for lanyards/bibs for legacy runners for other races and challenges?

I know I have had a special bib and lanyard for the Wine & Dine since year five. (I've run them all, so it says "Perfect", not sure about Legacy)

I think a part of the earlier registration is to go by the think of "strike while the iron is hot". When is the excitement and chatter about a race at its highest? Right before and right after the race.
If runDisney had a registration tent after bag pick up, I think a ton of people would sign up, simply because of the high from finishing. Holding off registration until April lets the furvor die down and the excitement fade. That isn't good marketing and isn't good for sales. I predict there will be a somewhat higher volume on the first day during registration because of this. That being said, I don't think it will sell out right away though.

Question for AP folks:

My wife and I are AP holders, kids are not. We're both registering for Dopey during the early pass holder window. Can I, as an AP holder, register my son at that time (since I have to under my active account anyway - he's not 18)?

I'm pretty sure I have to wait until open registration, but sometimes I'm surprised.

Thanks

Brian

Was trying to book through a TA, but was told they were out, but literally as typing this that they are back in on a limited basis.

Question for AP folks:

My wife and I are AP holders, kids are not. We're both registering for Dopey during the early pass holder window. Can I, as an AP holder, register my son at that time (since I have to under my active account anyway - he's not 18)?

I'm pretty sure I have to wait until open registration, but sometimes I'm surprised.

Thanks

Brian

I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question. We can register early if we're annual pass holders? Is that only for Florida Residents or any annual pass holder? Do you know how to go about doing that?

I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question. We can register early if we're annual pass holders? Is that only for Florida Residents or any annual pass holder? Do you know how to go about doing that?

Any AP holder. The Tuesday or Thursday before open registration.

-Brian

Question for AP folks:

Thanks

Brian

You should be able to also sign up your kids as long as you have their active.com log in information. I am not an AP or DVC holder, but my parents are so my mom tends to be the one to sign me up (plus I'm usually working...). She has been able to use the site, however it seems to be an extremely limited number of bibs during the early registration so you have to be pretty quick.

The husband and I were discussing last night some refuel strategy for the marathon, which leads me to this question: Is there anywhere in Animal Kingdom along the course or Wide World of Sports to buy a churro?

I recognize that by mile 13 I probably want something to refuel that isn't fuel.... so any chance to get a churro or something similar? Or does husband have to stand along the exit of AK with a churro for me and cheer as I take it?

Any recommendations on what to do for food fueling? :)

The husband and I were discussing last night some refuel strategy for the marathon, which leads me to this question: Is there anywhere in Animal Kingdom along the course or Wide World of Sports to buy a churro?

I recognize that by mile 13 I probably want something to refuel that isn't fuel.... so any chance to get a churro or something similar? Or does husband have to stand along the exit of AK with a churro for me and cheer as I take it?

I don't recall a place to buy a churro during the full. Maybe a Mickey pretzel might work?

Depending on which corral you are in and how quickly you move through the first 12 miles will have a big impact on whether any vendors will be open in AK. I started in Corral G and with about a 2:30 half I was through AK about 20-30 minutes before it opened. Even after the park opens there doesn't tend to be a full selection of vendors that early in the day. Unfortunately, I think if you are going to want anything other than a banana or gel before you enter Hollywood Studios I think you will have to carry it yourself or arrange a meet up.:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter