Official Dopey 2018 Thread

It is the extra wake-ups that get you, not the mileage. :faint:

That is exactly what everyone has told me about the challenge. It's not the miles, but the waking up. I think I might need a few days after to get my sleeping schedule back to a normal cycle after the Dopey weekend, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!

You think they won't count this years one? I think they will pretend it happeneD!
Well, I'm hoping they wouldn't so we can get another special medal. But they probably won't.

Technically, in my opinion, we didn't have an official half and hence no one is perfect goofy or dopey anymore either. But I expect flames coming at me in 3..2..1..

Thanks for the encouragement. I was certain of my participation in 2018 a year ago. I do have a history of injuries, so I think thats where my concern comes from. But, I think if I ramp up slow but steady and forget about pace for this year and worry only about staying healthy (which means slowing down for me) then I should be fine. I think my main metal block in deciding to go for it is the triple combination of rD moving registration up to 2/14, the disappearance of deferrals for injury and my recent layoff from running. 5 weeks until register to cement my thinking!

With the except of December where some serious life stress got in the way of regular exercise, my fitness is generally decent. I've done the Glass Slipper Challenge three times and the Infinity Gauntlet Challenge once, and three of the four challenges had the 5k as well. I like the challenge weekends, and thats why Dopey seemed the next logical step. I've always used a modification of Hal Higdon's plans for half races and that has three midweek runs T-W-TH with Wednesday being longer, half of the weeks long run usually. I think I'll just have to bump from 4 runs per week to 5. My plans also build for two weeks then cut back for one, also to ward of injury.​

I agree with the others, depending on your fitness level and past training you can train for Dopey in 1 year. As far as your concern with injuries, early registration and the removal of deferrals, I completely agree it is a pain. This past year my girlfriend and I registered for the 2016 Wine and Dine Two Course Challenge. About 3 weeks before the race she broke her foot and ended up in a walking boot for 6 weeks and couldn't run.

That said I'm signing up for 2018 Dopey and she is registering for the Marathon (her first) and I spent a while looking for race insurance, given the events of this fall and came across this.

https://www.registrationsaver.com/m...olicy-that-can-protect-your-registration-fee/

I have not used it before, but I think we will use it for this. It's 6-7% of the entry fee, 6% if you cover the event as a whole and 7% if you have each race individually insured I believe. You can also put your travel expenses on the insurance, and it covers all the sickness, injury, weather...... so for $36-42 (assuming Dopey is $600) it may be something worth considering.

That is exactly what everyone has told me about the challenge. It's not the miles, but the waking up. I think I might need a few days after to get my sleeping schedule back to a normal cycle after the Dopey weekend, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!
I disagree. I'm not a morning person, yet for me it was just easy to go to sleep early and wake up....the miles were way harder.

Thinking more about it, I would actually say that the hardest part of the Dopey for me is the training (because of my age), followed by the sleep deprivation, then the miles during the races. I generally run 6 or 7 days/week, but the long runs on consecutive days is not a part of my regular routine and it takes a toll both physically and mentally. Not running the half on Saturday made my marathon run feel easy on Sunday. I ran long on rested legs for the first time in months. I may incorporate more of this in my regular marathon training.

Well, I'm hoping they wouldn't so we can get another special medal. But they probably won't.

Technically, in my opinion, we didn't have an official half and hence no one is perfect goofy or dopey anymore either. But I expect flames coming at me in 3..2..1..

I think if you take that logic, though, there was no official Goofy or Dopey Challenge this year, either. As such, all "perfect" statuses would remain valid going into next year's races. 2017 would end up being a lost year, but not a streak breaker for perfect folks.

I'm going to go with the assumption that runDisney is treating the weekend as if all races and challenges were completed and are valid this year. This year will remain the 20th anniversary of the race. They can't really call next year the 20th when they just handed out the big XX medals this year and people ran virtual races to earn them.

I think if you take that logic, though, there was no official Goofy or Dopey Challenge this year, either. As such, all "perfect" statuses would remain valid going into next year's races. 2017 would end up being a lost year, but not a streak breaker for perfect folks.

I'm going to go with the assumption that runDisney is treating the weekend as if all races and challenges were completed and are valid this year. This year will remain the 20th anniversary of the race. They can't really call next year the 20th when they just handed out the big XX medals this year and people ran virtual races to earn them.
I can hope for a cool medal can't I? Either way it will be a new medal so likely cool. All good

I can hope for a cool medal can't I? Either way it will be a new medal so likely cool. All good

I'm from the school of "all Disney medals are cool". Some are just cooler than others. I'm hoping we'll get a better one next year. Just my opinion, but I think this year's half medal was pretty lame for a 20th anniversary (but still cool). Come on RunDisney, if you're going to hype an anniversary, you can't just phone in the medal and celebration...

I'm in for Dopey 2018. A few travel agents have pre-sales going on right now so I booked through them. I travel a lot for work and I was nervous that I would miss registration day in February due to a trip. I've been planning on Dopey 2018 since last spring and didn't want to miss out. Looking forward to a full year of training and help/advice/sharing/inspiration from this board.

I was planning to return for the marathon next year but the pull to get not just one, but three anniversary medals is real. LOL. Pending financials on registration day, I'm leaning toward being in for next year as well.:crazy:

I don't know if next year will actually be the year I do it, and I won't be doing Dopey, but can someone remind me when registration for 2018 opens. Thanks! After all the inspiring stories from this weekend, I've really got my eyes set on doing the marathon.

Registration is February 14th. :thumbsup2

I've already stated my intentions to run this, but just need to add: now that the 2017 races are over I'm even that much more excited! But training has definitely been slow going, we've had a brutal winter so far.

I'm in for Dopey 2018. A few travel agents have pre-sales going on right now so I booked through them. I travel a lot for work and I was nervous that I would miss registration day in February due to a trip. I've been planning on Dopey 2018 since last spring and didn't want to miss out. Looking forward to a full year of training and help/advice/sharing/inspiration from this board.

Can anybody share their travel agents? I am worried about getting registered, but have never used an agent for races, so I am flying a bit blind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter