***Official Jan 2018 Thread****

By this Time Tomorow I will hopefully be on a Monorail or at Poly. Checked into my Flight this morning got my daughter and I seats across the aisle from each other couldn't find anything near each other before smh. Just gotta pack and pick up some odds and ends today. So can't wait to celebrate my Daughter!

leaving Friday morning for our 17 hour drive from the mitten. can't wait to get to the lower gas prices!
Yay fellow Michiganders? Are you "Yupers" or Trolls ? :) 17 hrs I would say around Mid-state ... Flint / Frankenmuth... I grew up in Troy. Enjoy the warmth when you get down there!

Yay fellow Michiganders? Are you "Yupers" or Trolls ? :) 17 hrs I would say around Mid-state ... Flint / Frankenmuth... I grew up in Troy. Enjoy the warmth when you get down there!
Fellow Michigander here too! Bay City to be exact...

I decided today that I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to do AFTER I come back from Disney because I feel like every waking second for the last two months has been spent planning or thinking about this trip LOL
I was thinking the same thing today although it's been about 9 months for me! It's our first trip so I've researched like crazy, watched for cost savings, used touring plans, now I'm on to watching weather and packing. My husband has been a bit of a downer about this trip so I've found even more important to plan the best trip so I can show him I was right!!

I decided today that I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to do AFTER I come back from Disney because I feel like every waking second for the last two months has been spent planning or thinking about this trip LOL

That's why what was supposed to be a once in a lifetime trip for us has turned into a yearly event. I felt lost w/o the planning! Ha! No really, we all just have so much fun that we keep voting to go back. BUT, now we are thinking of taking a break by visiting the UK on our next trip. Our thought right now is to return to WDW several months after SW land opens.

8 hour drive, we are actually leaving about 10 tomorrow morning, taking our time with the kids, and staying at Hampton tomorrow night. Hitting MK early monday am, and reservations on site the rest of the week.........YEAH!!!!

This is a random question, but for those who are there or are already back...how were the mosquitos? I had read they were pretty bad following Irma and wasn't sure if that was still the case or if the cold weather had knocked them back a bit.

We just got home last night. I was bit by ONE mosquito on Thursday night while sitting outside at the GF watching the fireworks. That was the only day that the temps were in the 80s. Otherwise, the temps were high 70s and low 50s and were were never bothered by mosquitoes. HTH!

Just got home last night. It was the first time EVER since we started visiting Disney in 1983 that we never left property during out trip. WOW! What a difference it makes to stay in the bubble. We only traveled Monday through Friday but we honestly felt that we were away for much longer. My sister and I made the decision from the get-go that our first priority was to bond with each other, not exhaust ourselves checking off items from a to-do list. We ended up canceling some Fast Passes because we did not feel like rushing to the next ride and would rather window shop or enjoy the street performers (or drink a beer, or two). Of course, it also helped that while my sister and I enjoyed said beers (or Starbucks lattes) the 13yo would take himself to Test Track or Expedition Everest and ride it four times in a row (the MDE app is awesome!). We only rope-dropped Animal Kingdom and the world did not end. The only thing I can truly say was disappointing was the wine options at EPCOT. I was not happy to pay $8 for what is basically a shot of wine, and not a good one at that. Much preferred the beer options. (Yes, we drank around the world. :-) ) Now it's time to work on those scrapbooks and start saving for / planning our next trip!

Last edited:

Lol I am totally the same way! I'm gonna have so much time on my hands!

We are in the airport and heading home. To say this trip was magical would be an understatement. From the moment i surprised the girls until this very moment, i will treasure every memory. I’m sad it’s over but i miss my husband and I’m ready to be home. I’m exhausted.

Here are some of my thoughts:

- so glad that we hired a driver to pick us up from the airport and drop us off. It saved a lot of time and we didn’t have to wait for the magical express.

- the Grand Floridian was amazing!

- The Parks from least favorite to favorite: Epcot (but to be fair, it was my kids who were over it and didn’t care to explore. We left early and canceled our Dining reservation at Akershus because they were so ready to leave Epcot and go back to MK. Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom was our favorite.

- happily ever after was AMAZING!

- Mickey ice cream bars were had every single day...yum!

- i was not impressed by the food at 50’s Prime and Hollywood and Vine. 1900 Park Fare was decent and we really enjoyed our meal and experience at Cinderella’s royal table and Bon Voyage. Though, next time we come we will not do as many character meals.

- Babbity Boppity Boutique is one and done for us. Nice experience but not worth the price. My 6 year old was over her hair and the dress in about 1 hour.

- next time we will take a break in between park days to break it up. My kids had a lot of fun but they were dead by day 3 so 1 day to relax would have been nice.

- Dole whip...yum.

I’ll add more later lol.

Here are some of my thoughts:

- the Grand Floridian was amazing!

- happily ever after was AMAZING!

- Mickey ice cream bars were had every single day...yum!

- next time we will take a break in between park days to break it up. My kids had a lot of fun but they were dead by day 3 so 1 day to relax would have been nice.

YES, YES, YES and YES

If anyone was going to eat at Blaze in DS. They have bogo pizzas if you download the app and use code "workworkwork". I am looking forward to trying it.
Ooohh, I did not think about downloading their app - will put this in my doc so I remember for next trip - thanks!

Two weeks from today for us!! Can't wait to escape this cold and the 18 inches of snow we got yesterday.
We left the morning after the blizzrad and came home to nothing, rain took care of it while we were gone :)

This is a random question, but for those who are there or are already back...how were the misquitos? I had read they were pretty bad following Irma and wasn't sure if that was still the case or if the cold weather had knocked them back a bit.
I didn't see any.

I dread to think what my Door to door is, I staying at the airport the night before to make the journey less onerous and means I can get into holiday mode a day earlier.

For the states 7 hours isn't that bad, as we always play the licence plate game (as you do get regional licence plate in the UK) and I'm always shocked how far people will drive.

if I drive 7 hours from my house I'd end up in Scotland, so it just shows you the difference in scale.
Our drive was 24 hours in May so we added a little time for that given the blizzard - we were not sure the roads would be clear. We ended up only taking 20 hours and pulling into the resort at about 3:30 AM :D Not ideal but hey, better than taking more time than expected.

Do you road trip a lot? With so many amazing destinations near by I can't imagine not taking advantage <3

We arrived home today. The trip was not perfect but we still all had a great time! My 8 yo got a stomach bug literally upon entering MK and her and I turned around and went back to the resort and spent the day there. Then my son had a migraine on our MK day and left early. My oldest got the Disney rash and couldn't hang for her birthday at Epcot (opening day at the arts fest). And the toddler started throwing up at 2am on the ride home... So that was a bummer...

BUT I MET JOE ROHDE IN PANDORA. I fan girled pretty bad and may have cried. I have a picture of it and want to share as soon as I find a filter that makes me look a little less crazy eyed :rotfl:

Rope drop at AK but was hectic but worth it. Got there an hour early and was done riding FoP by 9:06 (on a normal open day, not EMH or anything).

Arts fest in Epcot looked fun, didn't get to do as much as we wanted but still had a great time. Tried shrimp ceviche (meh), almond cake - same one as last year (yum!) smores tart (I said ok, DH really liked it) and caramel something bar (son liked it, I thought it was kind of boring) I swear I am not super hard to please, just spoiled by flower and garden and food and wine I guess, I thought the food I have had there was far superior.

I WISH I had bought new gel inserts for my sneakers, mine were paper thin and my feet were killing me - definitely on the list for next time.

To all the January travelers heading out soon - ENJOY!!

We arrived home today. The trip was not perfect but we still all had a great time! My 8 yo got a stomach bug literally upon entering MK and her and I turned around and went back to the resort and spent the day there. Then my son had a migraine on our MK day and left early. My oldest got the Disney rash and couldn't hang for her birthday at Epcot (opening day at the arts fest). And the toddler started throwing up at 2am on the ride home... So that was a bummer...

BUT I MET JOE ROHDE IN PANDORA. I fan girled pretty bad and may have cried. I have a picture of it and want to share as soon as I find a filter that makes me look a little less crazy eyed :rotfl:

Rope drop at AK but was hectic but worth it. Got there an hour early and was done riding FoP by 9:06 (on a normal open day, not EMH or anything).

Arts fest in Epcot looked fun, didn't get to do as much as we wanted but still had a great time. Tried shrimp ceviche (meh), almond cake - same one as last year (yum!) smores tart (I said ok, DH really liked it) and caramel something bar (son liked it, I thought it was kind of boring) I swear I am not super hard to please, just spoiled by flower and garden and food and wine I guess, I thought the food I have had there was far superior.

I WISH I had bought new gel inserts for my sneakers, mine were paper thin and my feet were killing me - definitely on the list for next time.

To all the January travelers heading out soon - ENJOY!!
Sorry to hear about everyone being sick. That is a HUGE fear of mine right now. Glad to hear there were some good moments

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter