***Official*** Pandora: The World of Avatar Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm well aware I'm in a minority that just doesn't get how amazing Soarin' is, but it's still considered one of the like top 3 rides in WDW in popularity polls, but I would rather ride Mr. Toad over Soarin'.

That's fine to have that opinion, but have you ridden Flight of Passage yet? I've been on it 7 times. It blows Soarin' out of the water x100. It's not even in the same league. It's more immersive, much more intense and thrilling, has many more sensory effects, has sharp turns that each seat feels individually, you're seated differently...

It may use similar tech in that it has a screen and you watch it, but that is pretty much where the similarity ends. Soarin' and Flight of Passage are two different feeling rides.

Let's put it this way: When they changed Soarin' to the "Around the World" version, I now dislike the ride. It has a curved view, it's boring for me, the CGI looks terrible, and it's just not that fun honestly. My wife feels the same way. My family just doesn't care to go on the ride anymore really. And yet we all think Flight of Passage is the best theme park ride in Disney. That's how apples to oranges that comparison really is.

If you've been on the ride, fine, that is your opinion. But if you have not, don't bash it until you've actually tried it. It's an AMAZING experience. Who cares about the tech.

Last edited:
Oh, there are no words to describe Pandora at night. No photo can possibly even come close to doing it justice. It is truly stunning

I wish I could share the sediment but to me it was very amateurish. I don't think anyone at disney is known for their nightscapes aside from some glowing trinkets and strategic lighting. Add in letting a 4 year old paint the ground and toss in black lights and you have pandora at night... I think this is 1 place they forgot to really research as I've been in some stunning locations and that might be why this didn't impress me. I don't think it felt the same as the na'vi river ride so there is a consistency problem between a night ride to the shaman and what it looks like at night.

With that said, I'm not sure everything was on the first night.. I'm still confused about the lighting ceremony that appeared to be just another drum circle performance and thinking something went wrong and they didn't do it. The trees weren't lit but you start to leave pandora, especially on the harambe side and the trees are amazing.. it goes all around AK with the little "sprites in the tree" look as I call it.

Now there was some nice things going on.. The plants were well done and I wouldn't them amateur trinkets. The projections on the floating mountain were a little too subtle but interesting. nobody could really tell what we were looking at though. I assume the prominent one was a couple banshees nesting from where it was happening and how it looked like 2 heads moving around.

I figured that was the case. Amazing how yesterday the rides worked really well then today experienced issues.

I heard of some outages the first day.. Today had to be at least a theater down and not just a bank of seats or it was something unsafe to repair with the theater still operating (guessing).

I've loved reading everyone's experiences in this thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

My family went to Pandora yesterday (Sunday) and loved it! We were there for opening, which I haven't seen anyone talking about. We arrived at AK at about 5:30, and we were among the very first people there. They ended up letting us in at 7 instead of 8! It was great for us, but I felt bad for people who arrived for the posted 8am opening time only to find it crazy already. We didn't have a FastPass for either ride, but we were able to ride both no problem with no waiting really (FOP first of course). We then went and bought a banshee with no waiting, rode FOP again with a rider swap from the first ride, and left pandora at about 8:45 and lines were already nuts.

We went back again that night and agree it was gorgeous! Disney really did a great job with this land!

Anyone there today? Hoping for live reports.

Second day at Pandora...

I posted our experience yesterday here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...rmation-thread.3587311/page-265#post-57656000

I see another 12 pages on the thread from today and I am not going to read them tonight. So, again, forgive me if I am repeating what others have posted today.

One quick note this evening is that we saw George Kalogridis (current President of WDW) walking around Pandora taking things in. This was around 8PM. I recognized him as prior to WDW he was President of DLR and had a good reputation and I remember reading articles about him. I may have heard him speak at a D23 Expo. Can't remember. But I recognized him when I saw him.

Today we arrived at 5PM for an ADR at Rainforest Cafe. We had a FP for FOP at 5:45-6:45 and NRJ 6:55-7:55. Despite our telling the RFC we were in a bit of hurry and placing our entire order right we were seated, they were still slow and we had to rush through our entree. Got into AK at 6:30PM with the FOP FP window closing at 6:45!

There were no lines at the gates to enter AK at 6:30PM. There was a line of people to get into Pandora. We followed the guidance we got yesterday to tell the CMs an the Pandora entrance we had an active FP. They told us that they could not let us in, that we had to wait in the line with everyone else, and not to worry as our FP would be honored even if we were late. They told us the line to get into Pandora was moving steadily. I asked them if they were sure about the active FP thing as we had been let in directly yesterday (see my post at the top). They told us they were not doing that today and they were sure. We thanked them and got in line.

As we were waiting we saw another large group of people coming through a different line and I asked them what line they were in. They said they were being let through because they had active FPs. Ouch! So the CMS were wrong about that. But they were right that the line we were in for normal Pandora entry was moving steadily and by the time the "active FP" line came through we were almost through the line we were in. All in all we waited 10 minutes in this line so not too bad. We made it over to FOP FP right at 6:45 so no need to rely on the late FP being honored.

OK, so by the time we got past the FOP SB and FP merge and got into the first "room of 16", I asked the SB folks how long they had waited. And they said 5 hours. They were all wondering if was worth it and when they understood that we had ridden FOP yesterday, they asked us if would be worth it. We told them it would be. After the rides was over they followed behind us on the way out and all agreed the 5 hour wait was totally worth it.

As far as FOP is concerned, today was our second ride and we were able to take it in better than yesterday. I will have to say it is now my favorite ride at WDW.

However, here is something to note FWIW. When I ride ST I am relieved when it is over because I start to feel a little queasy. When I ride Soarin I am always sad when it is over and wish it could go on for another 5-10 minutes. Zero queasiness. At the end of FOP I found I was relieved more like ST and not like Soarin. I felt a tiny bit of queasiness on FOP - nothing like ST but enough to make me feel "OK, I am ready for this to be over". For that reason FOP is not a slam dunk, way, way better ride for me than my other WDW favorites which are EE and RnR. As others have said, FOP IS intense at times. But it does rise to the level of my new favorite.

It took us about 45 minutes to get on FOP using FP. Yesterday at 12:06PM it was more like 10-15 minutes. Not sure why the FP line was so much longer today.

After FOP we rode NRJ with a FP.

Finally, we saw the 9:15 ROL tonight and then went quickly to ride EE after to get a night ride in. We had planned to try and get back into Pandora to see the night time version after EE. We found at 10PM that they were no longer allowing any guests into Pandora and were forming a line for the 11PM EMH. It was 10PM and the line was at Pizzafari at that point. We decided we did not want to wait an hour until 11PM to get into Pandora again. I took a few minutes to see if I could get lucky and score a second NRJ FP that I thought would allow us to get into Pandora right away. No luck. So we left AK around 10PM.

Finally, finally - while in the FOP FP line I met another DISer who I believe goes by @disneyfanforever :wave2:. So that was fun.

:wizard:

Thanks for sharing! Great report. Helpful to know to look for a FP queue to get in.

FOP was long for FP today. But it was great! We too waited 45+ minutes.

Hope everyone enjoyed tonight. Just want willing to wait at 1030 like some. I thought the line wouldn't be too bad just to walk around. Oh well, river ride FP+ tomorrow morning!

The land is really done well though. We were very impressed with it and FoP!

Thanks for sharing!

On preview day, the wait for FoP said 5 minutes. My husband ended up waiting 45 minutes.

Anyone there today? Hoping for live reports.

I'm here today! I got to AK at 5:15am for resort EMH (Didn't want to take any chances). I was in and out of FoP in 15 minutes. Right now, I'm in line for NRJ. Posted wait time was 35 mins when I entered. Anything specific you want to know?

I'm here today! I got to AK at 5:15am for resort EMH (Didn't want to take any chances). I was in and out of FoP in 15 minutes. Right now, I'm in line for NRJ. Posted wait time was 35 mins when I entered. Anything specific you want to know?

I guess just update on wait time and also if they are utilizing single rider

I'm sorry if I've missed this. Is there a single rider line for fop? Going in September with my husband and 3 sons and I may be the only one to ride.

did EMH start at 7am? When did it start getting crowded at the gates? I was planning on taking an uber over around 6am for a 7am EMH, would that put me too far back?

I'm sorry if I've missed this. Is there a single rider line for fop? Going in September with my husband and 3 sons and I may be the only one to ride.

There is a single rider line set up for FoP - however it hasn't been put in use yet so it isn't clear the impact it will have / how waits will be for it

I guess just update on wait time and also if they are utilizing single rider

Single rider was not being utilized during EMH. A CM told me that they are not opening single rider at all today.

did EMH start at 7am? When did it start getting crowded at the gates? I was planning on taking an uber over around 6am for a 7am EMH, would that put me too far back?

EMH started at 7am. I don't think it would put you too far back. Earlier is safer though. Resort buses arrived at 6:30am and it was a swarm.

Line to enter Pandora currently reaches Island Mercantile but it is moving. FoP line extends to the entirety of the Africa exit as well.

Last edited:
EMH started at 7am. I don't think it would put you too far back. Earlier is safer though. Resort buses arrived at 6:30am and it was a swarm.

Thanks, good to know. The Uber will be worth it if I can beat the swarm. :)

I'm kind of agreeing with you. "Bleeding edge"?? The Aladdin virtual reality attraction at DisneyQuest had a motorcycle type vehicle and headgear for a 3D experience back in the 90s. This is just making the cycle move with the video and having a screen instead. That doesn't compare at all to the tech required for the Potter rides. Not to say that some of Disney's rides aren't high tech, rides like Dinosaur and Test Track come to mind, but this one doesn't strike me as one that required a bunch of new tech.

And the sad thing is, a Dinosaur is a poor knockoff of Indy, which is 20 years old. Disney got out of the bleeding edge ride business in the US about then.

Hopefully Star Wars changes that, but I don't know. Looks like it has at least one of those dreaded Universal screen rides.

curious if either of you have been on FoP yet.

As far as FJ using a high tech ride apparatus, the robotic arm mounted on a moving platform is nothing new. I couldn't find "bleeding edge" in these photos. A lot of empty walls relying heavily on the digital projection. https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...AA1E/H-1vz6Rk8uU/s1600/ctxul.gif&action=click

Disney has taken us to the next generation in the virtual realm.

Oh, there are no words to describe Pandora at night. No photo can possibly even come close to doing it justice. It is truly stunning

I can't wait to see it at night in August. It is our plans for our first night since we are staying at animal kingdom lodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter