***Official*** Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Information Thread *** Contains SPOILERS ***

I’m torn what to do here. I’m really hoping for AP previews while there for the dis event, but just in case when the announcement came out I found a room for the middle of September. I figured by then a few of the kinks would be worked out plus it would be a slightly easier sell at work putting a little more time between trips. But the more I read about opening the more I kind of want to be there as insane as I know it will be. If only I could convince work to let me work remotely for the entire month of August and just find a cheap offsite condo for in between the two dates!

Seriously?? I obviously missed that discussion. So they lined up the night before?!

I guess I don’t get it. I mean, for Metallica/GnR tix, sure, but... ;)

Did anyone who arrived at more like 6am NOT get in the land and ride the attractions? I assume they were able to.

I know SWGW will be worse, though...
I discovered that Nintendo fans line up the night before major releases at the NYC store and I'm a big fan of Nintendo but that was a lot. You can get Nintendo games literally ANYWHERE. But I guess it's all about being a part of the scene.

Seriously?? I obviously missed that discussion. So they lined up the night before?!

I guess I don’t get it. I mean, for Metallica/GnR tix, sure, but... ;)

Did anyone who arrived at more like 6am NOT get in the land and ride the attractions? I assume they were able to.

I know SWGW will be worse, though...

Yep. Basically people went from the soft open, left the park and waited for it to reopen. Not huge amounts but that’s when it started. Toy Story’s crazy line also didn’t even last a whole day. I went the day after and was able to walk right into the land.

The first line I was ever in for Star Wars was in California for the opening of this new movie called "Star Wars". The line was all the way around the block that the theatre was on. I think the lines for SWGE is going to be tremendous for several months after opening. To be able to experience what amounts to a movie set with the detail that has been shown is going to be incredible. And I believe I saw Luke's landspeeder in that drone footage from DL. Photo ops are going to be at every turn in SWGE. Excited is an understatement.

Have we heard anything from the crowd experts out there about expectations for waits to get into SWGE, as well as ride wait times with no FP? I'm surprised to see so many folks posting about 3-4 hour waits as expectations - I'm going by what happened when Potterlands 1 and 2 opened and expecting lines of 8+ hours just to get into SWGE unless WDW comes up with some kind of system to manage it other than a queue! And that's the primary obstacle for me: I can't imagine standing in the Aug/Sept heat and sun for 8 hours straight. :scared::faint: I'm optimistically hoping it might be like Pandora and settle quickly into the 3ish hour wait realm - I still wouldn't want to do that in the heat, but would be willing once things cool off a bit.
I saw TP do a live vlog today....they are breaking down each of the movies, in episode order. They mentioned that their statisticians were working on a crowd model. I expect to see updated crowd calendars in a few days. I did note that they didn't think the opening of SWGE would have too much of an impact on the other parks crowd levels. Now that, I believe is going to prove to be slightly off.

In terms of entrance into the land and entrance into DHS for those not wanting to go into the land. They have some experience with this
Star Wars Weekends had a dedicated merchandise line, especially long day one of the event with everyone wanting limited edition merchandise. They had a line (to the far right of the turnstyles) allowed that line to enter the park first, CM encouraged everyone to know their place in line, who was in front who was behind, and they walked the line slowly to the merchandise place (back then it was either by Backlot Tour or behind RnRC) the rest of the crowds just waited in the regular queues
For Pandora same scenario on day one. They had a line for merchandise that they moved first into the store, while people wanting to go into Pandora were told to stay to the left (plus there were CM and ropes)
So the could do something like this. I know from talking to friends we are planning on arriving at the gates of DHS around midnight to not be shut out of the land itself.
For Pandora they opened the land around 6:30am, I know I was there at 5:30am.
I sure hope Disney has a plan for this opening. For some reason I was thinking that they would seriously seriously discourage overnight lines.

I’m torn what to do here. I’m really hoping for AP previews while there for the dis event, but just in case when the announcement came out I found a room for the middle of September. I figured by then a few of the kinks would be worked out plus it would be a slightly easier sell at work putting a little more time between trips. But the more I read about opening the more I kind of want to be there as insane as I know it will be. If only I could convince work to let me work remotely for the entire month of August and just find a cheap offsite condo for in between the two dates!
You and me both! We actually have a Sept 16-22 trip planned. When they announced the opening I quickly made reservations for then. We will be home for 13 days before we leave again! Part of me wants to cancel the second trip but actually, I want to do both. The second trip will be more like the relaxing trip I was planning all along. Plus I already have MNSSHP tickets for the second trip. I can't wait to hear the grief I'm going to get from work over this one!

The first line I was ever in for Star Wars was in California for the opening of this new movie called "Star Wars". The line was all the way around the block that the theatre was on. I think the lines for SWGE is going to be tremendous for several months after opening. To be able to experience what amounts to a movie set with the detail that has been shown is going to be incredible. And I believe I saw Luke's landspeeder in that drone footage from DL. Photo ops are going to be at every turn in SWGE. Excited is an understatement.
I saw that too....and I think I peed myself a little. :eek::laughing::rotfl2:

Anyone else surprised that there is
a decent room discount that covers the WDW opening AND that it still has pretty good availability?
Maybe that was the original plan? Disney had to have known it was going to plan on opening SWGE in two phases when it released the WDW general public discount. Have people book at lower prices and experience a little taste so they want to come back and book a second trip for the full experience? This will also be the no FP+ period so its kinda like a trial. Just a guess, but everything Disney does comes down to its bottom line.

I'm still trying to digest all of the news. Its hard knowing my next trip is my last before SWGE is open and HS is crazy (unless I book a last minute summer one? :confused3).

But I have to say, the new disclaimer on all the WDW phone numbers is kinda driving me crazy. I understand Disney wants to alert people the date has been released and push lots of people to the website for info and set expectations for wait times, but with a trip in less than 30 days and multiple changes that had to be made via phone today, it was very annoying hearing the same exact thing for 55 seconds before I could even get to the regular menus :rotfl:

Sounds more like way too many empty rooms and a decision to open early to not have a bad quarter..too many people were waiting till late fall....
So Pixie Dust for the first monthpixiedust:
Agreed - seems like the opening dates and plan to have 2 phases was a more recent decision and not part of a long term master plan.

Or maybe it was just a few unexpectedly good months of bantha milk production on the outer rim...

Last edited:
While I'm not really a Star Wars fan I am really excited to see this all come to life...the energy from the fans is so contagious and I think it is going to be astounding! I look forward to seeing more and more updates and information come out! Thanks for pulling together all of the info in one convenient spot!

It is incredible how fast they are going, I'm so happy. Each week I go to TSLand to look above the wall at Galaxy's Edge skyline, and just from that point of view you can see so much progress week to week
Ya know that’s just not fair! :)

So jeleous. Some day we will live near the world. Hopefully retired and working for fun for the mouse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter