Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

FWIW, I just heard on the Mickey Miles Podcast there's a rumor of a "big announcement" by rD in June. Anyone think it'll be a WDW SW race? Maybe to "replace" EEC in May or ToT in October? Timing would be right if they want to announce a special coast to coast SW challenge before SW Half registration.
That would be great, but I'd be annoyed if they announced a WDW SW race AFTER June 2 when I hope to register for the DL one. If they start a WDW one, we'd do that instead, not both...

This is new to me -- are these Disney hotels or other area hotels?

They should offer both Disney and non Disney properties. Check out Get Travel and Acclaim travel. Those are the two I see recommended most. I've used Get travel for our hotel and tickets before and would recommend them. I may register through them or Acclaim this year to save myself some stress.

Yeah - and they mix it up for each race it seems. For DLH, I had to buy a package that came with a big, a pin, a two-day hopper and an anniversary park ticket.

For Tink this year, you just had to pre-buy a park-hopper ticket with one agency, and another had you commit to a hotel stay.

They should offer both Disney and non Disney properties. Check out Get Travel and Acclaim travel. Those are the two I see recommended most. I've used Get travel for our hotel and tickets before and would recommend them. I may register through them or Acclaim this year to save myself some stress.
So helpful -- thank you!!

Anyone here run a Disney race for a charity before? Toying with the idea myself for Rebel Challenge but a little scared that I wont make the fundraising minimum.

Will you be needing a hotel or are you local?

If you need a hotel, I would encourage your to possibly reach out to one of the travel providers and see what packages they're offering. You can get all your registrations done prior to open registration and save yourself some stress.
As a control freak (!!!), I worry about registering this way, but not going crazy on registration day is very appealing!!

Anyone ever had a problem with their race registrations done through one of these providers?

Hi again! Question on this... I cannot yet book a Disney hotel for Jan -- I've been told they'll open that up "at some point this summer". Can I somehow book a Disney hotel room (e.g. Grand Californian) through Get Travel or Acclaim now, or would I have to wait with them as well?

I'm going to research each of these companies, but thought someone here may have a quick answer... DISers always seem to... :)

Hi again! Question on this... I cannot yet book a Disney hotel for Jan -- I've been told they'll open that up "at some point this summer". Can I somehow book a Disney hotel room (e.g. Grand Californian) through Get Travel or Acclaim now, or would I have to wait with them as well?

I'm going to research each of these companies, but thought someone here may have a quick answer... DISers always seem to... :)

You can book the Disney hotels through Get Travel and Acclaim as soon as they start selling their bib packages for the race. It was the same thing last year for Star Wars, I got my reservation through Get before Disney started booking rooms directly. And you don't have to buy a package to book the hotel through them either. You could just do the hotel only. That's what we've done the past couple races. I'd expect to see some info come out next week from Get and Acclaim. AP reg is on 6/2 and thats most likely when they'll start selling their packages too.

Wow -- very cool -- thanks!! Do you happen to know if there are penalties for cancellation of a room reservation through them?

On the very off chance that there are DVC accommodations available at our 7mo window I might want to cancel a rack rate room for that. That said, it already looks like DVC has partial availability at best, so I don't hold out much hope for that.

Wow -- very cool -- thanks!! Do you happen to know if there are penalties for cancellation of a room reservation through them?

On the very off chance that there are DVC accommodations available at our 7mo window I might want to cancel a rack rate room for that. That said, it already looks like DVC has partial availability at best, so I don't hold out much hope for that.

I checked my invoice from last year (room and ticket only, no race bib). It says "Last day to cancel for full refund, less the $25 Administrative/Processing fee is December 2..." The final payment for the room and ticket was due on December 3rd.

I checked my invoice from last year (room and ticket only, no race bib). It says "Last day to cancel for full refund, less the $25 Administrative/Processing fee is December 2..." The final payment for the room and ticket was due on December 3rd.
This is great -- thanks again!!!

Question about legacy status. If I ran the SW half this year (2015) and decide to do the Rebel Challenge next year (2016), would I still be able to keep my legacy status for the half?

Question about legacy status. If I ran the SW half this year (2015) and decide to do the Rebel Challenge next year (2016), would I still be able to keep my legacy status for the half?
I THINK so but I dont know for sure. I dont see why you wouldn't since technically you are running the half each year.

I am so on the fence about this one. If I do it, then the Princess GSC can be my C2C in Feb. And I am calling this my Year of Disney... I'll have to sort out the money and logistics with work, but I am more 'in' than 'out' at this point. :scratchin

I know Active.com offers an insurance program for race fees... does runDisney participate?

You can defer to another year (same race) and you'll pay an extra fee, but you'll never get a refund.

It could probably be for the fees that Active.com charges on top of what rD charges.

I've done registration for three rD races via Active this run season and at no point was I offered fee insurance. So, sure, you could get the 8% or whatever Active charges in addition to the rD fee back but I'm not sure it warrants paying for insurance since rD is pretty specific about their race terms.

My boyfriend and I are planning on being there! This will be our first runDisney race, I am hoping to do the Rebel Challenge (fingers crossed I don't have any computer issues on registration day, I've read plenty about the mad dash on those days but haven't experienced it yet) and he wants to run the 10K. I just finished my first half marathon a couple weeks ago in 2:34:44 and now I'm hooked. Anyway, since this race is so early in the year it leaves open the possibly of me earning Coast to Coast as well, I'd love to do the Wine & Dine Half in 2016!

Hubby and I are planning to do the 5k. This will require lots of training since we are both quite out of shape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter