• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Irma kind of threw me off my training sceduel for a bit but I'm semi back on track... HOWEVER 90% of my training has been on the treadmill which is no bueno cause while I'm at a decent pace there while I've been outside I'm hardly under 16 mins I need to suck it up and get out in this humidity especially cause with how hot it's been even at night now I doubt things will be cooler by race day

Irma kind of threw me off my training sceduel for a bit but I'm semi back on track... HOWEVER 90% of my training has been on the treadmill which is no bueno cause while I'm at a decent pace there while I've been outside I'm hardly under 16 mins I need to suck it up and get out in this humidity especially cause with how hot it's been even at night now I doubt things will be cooler by race day

see my treadmill has remained off... I have just elected to use Irma as my excuse for being a slacker.... LOL I can always find excuses but at the end of the day, I am never disappointed with my races that I do not prepare for as I know I am a product of my preparation LOL and because they nicely gave me the pink and blue coast to coast, I figure I have nothing to lose but to have some fun and not worry about time

I'm joining the under trained group! Tore my hamstring twice in the first few weeks of my training plan and only now getting to a stage where I can manage longer runs. Just completed the RunDisney weekend in Paris and came back with a HORRIBLE cold so no running for me this week... bleugh!

I'll be way overtrained for my 5k :)

But you all still have time to keep training! Just don't go from zero to 10 miles, etc as you don't want to get really hurt. Maybe focus on times spent running for your long run instead of miles. Like "I'm going to run at any speed(s) that feels comfortable for 90 min even if I gotta slow down I'm gonna keep on for the full time period". And then try to recover with easy runs the week before instead of cramming a really long run in that weekend before the race.

That's my "not a professional" advise :)

Last edited:

Thank you!! Running past the floating mountains in the 5k is gonna be so cool!!!! I'm stopping for a picture or selfie if one is available; even if there's a long line.

Yay for course maps!!! It'll be interesting to see how it works, going through Pandora. They used the widest paths in there, but they're still not particularly wide and I imagine going under/by the Floating Mountains may create a bottleneck like the castle does in MK. Pack your patience!

That course looks so much better than last year. This makes me hope it stays the same for next year because I really want to do my 2nd w&d then. Have fun!

I live in the dry desert heat of Arizona and I am not sure my body is ready to run in humidity -- oh well. The first Disney Run I did was the Dumbo Double Dare and I was absolutely and completely undertrained for it. The farthest I ran while training was 5 miles, so the 10k was the farthest I had ever run in my life, the day before doing the Half. I walked a lot of the Half, but I finished. This year, I trained a little bit better for the Pixie Dust Challenge in May, and ended up shaving 30 minutes off my Half time. For my training for the Luminere Challenge, I have just been focusing on getting my 10k under 60 minutes. I know it seems weird to try to PR at races where you are forced to walk for the first mile usually, but whatever. Haha.

And I want to say thank you for bringing up the training question. I was thinking about it last night and decided I needed to stop letting life get in the way if I could and get some more runs in. I set my alarm for 5:30 this morning and got up early to get my run in before my husband left for work. Before we moved up north I used to always get up at 5:30 and run, but for some reason since we moved it's been a struggle. Well, time to get my act together! So thank you for motivating me to get out there! Now I have to figure out how to fit a run in on Saturday when we have a guest in from out of town and a Cub Scout lock in. Never a dull moment! :)

I started running in the morning this summer due to the heat and it was so nice to not have to come home and run after work. Just had to work to pull myself out of bed sometimes. :)

Course maps
5k https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17048TY
10k https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17049TY
Half https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17050TY

Looks like the 5k goes through Pandora.
10k & Half look the same as Darkside. Edited thanks to @Dis_Yoda to add except Half now has Pandora

I'm so excited for my parents running!

Running through Pandora will cool. Other than that most things look the same as far as I can tell. I wonder if they'll make that same change for marathon weekend - that would mean no Expedition Everest since it looks to me like they took that out?

Course maps
5k https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17048TY
10k https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17049TY
Half https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17050TY

Looks like the 5k goes through Pandora.
10k & Half look the same as Darkside. Edited thanks to @Dis_Yoda to add except Half now has Pandora

I'm so excited for my parents running!
Am I reading this right that the 10k is essentially not running through any park, minus the tiny bit in mile 5 (other than the boardwalk section). I have never done wine and dine and am used to the WDW marathon 10k weekend and princess 10k which does the out and back from epcot, so just trying to wrap my head around it

Am I reading this right that the 10k is essentially not running through any park, minus the tiny bit in mile 5 (other than the boardwalk section). I have never done wine and dine and am used to the WDW marathon 10k weekend and princess 10k which does the out and back from epcot, so just trying to wrap my head around it
The 10k goes through both Studios & EPCOT. Sunset Blvd is studios. UK gate, fountains of nations thats all Epcot.

btw the half marathon looks WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY fun

Yea it looks like most 'park' time is backstage which is a bummer as we loved the 10K last year and were doing it again... and if this is the same course as Dark side was/will be in April well lets just say I'll be sad... at least the 5K that weekend should have some Epcot park time right?

The 10k goes through both Studios & EPCOT. Sunset Blvd is studios. UK gate, fountains of nations thats all Epcot.
I just saw TOT.... I was somewhat confused bc even in Jan/Feb they run through more "park" which I thought would have been odd for them not to do it here :) I like the 5k being all in AK, reminds me of expedition... and the half, LOVE that its not just from epcot to mk and back and instead you are getting more parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter