'Ohana Difficulties

RealBlast3

DIS Veteran
How can the Disney website be telling me there are no available times for 'Ohana today at 180 +10 on the 10th day at 6AM? I don't understand it. I feel like this place is cursed for me - I havn't been able to get a ressie for years.

And it's not cause the site is down - I was just able to get Be Our Guest of all things for the same day, Dec. 12 (so I guess I shouldn't be complaining LOL), which is as far out as anyone can go today to make a reservation. I mean, I was on from 6:00 to 6:05 - How could 'Ohana be already sold out? Today at that time was the first time it was available, no?

Is this because of the reconstruction or something at the Poly?

I should add that I'm a solo traveler as well, so I'm only looking for 1 seat LMAO. I tried for all times through the day too and nothing. I looked for the entirety of my 2 week trip and nothing at any time. I don't get why it's so hard for this place...and yet Chef Mickey's has never been a problem for me at all to get reservations.

:confused3 Are you positive that O'Hana opens that early? I was under the impression that it doesn't open until about 7:30 AM. :stitch2: (My kids want to eat there and meet Lilo & Stich, too). :)

I have no idea why. I had a problem with the first 5 days when I made mine for Sept, but after the 6th day, I had my pick of times. Maybe you should call and see what's going on, I doubt that at 190 there is nothing left.

Sorry, I meant that I was online at 6am today trying to get a slot. I was hoping for Breakfast at 8.

Anyway, I found out what was the problem and I am very disappointed and feel discriminated against I must say.

For kicks, I tried on the site to get a reservation for 2, even though I'm a solo traveler, for the same date and time, just to experiment and Lo and behold, tons of times available!! Ok, ok, I shouldn't jump to conclusions, so I called the Dining line, and guess what, the representative couldn't get a reservation for 1 either!!!

They're obviously not interested in sitting a table of 1 when they can hold back the reservations for larger parties they can make more money off of. This has never happened to me before, that I was aware of, but it does explain why I wasn't able to make solo reservations at Ohana for my last 2 solo trips.

I'm so disgusted by the situation I don't wanna eat there anymore anyway.

It wasn't like I was desperate to, I'm just a completist, in that I love to try to eat at all the possible places available to me for breakfast on all my solo trips. I go away for around 2 weeks, so I have the opportunity to eat most places for breakfast. And 'Ohana was ALWAYS the one that would trip me up, except for once, my first solo trip back in '10. And I ate there with my family in years prior too, so it's not like I haven't been there, so I can live with not going.

It used to be different there, if I recall correctly, I remember having my own table when I went in '10. Now it's like family style and you have to share with everyone. I guess they figure 'why would a solo diner go' in seating like that? I don't know.

I'm already eating at everywhere else I can once for breakfast, so I just made a 2nd reservation for Cinderella's Royal Table again, that's all. I love it there.

And I was able to get all my other reservations I was much more excited for than 'Ohana, anyway - it was the principle of the thing, but oh well. Never liked Stitch anyway!

That's awful. I'm so sorry. Disney is so accommodating in so many ways that exceed what other establishments offer, what a thoroughly odd reason to withhold customer service. I don't blame you for letting it go, but I hope that at some point you're able to overcome the hurdle and get to eat there. It really is lovely, despite this ugliness.

I wonder if it has something to do with the family-style service, perhaps they're not set up or priced to serve a single portion? Not that it's an insurmountable roadblock that makes it valid to discriminate against solo diners, but I wonder if that's the root of the issue. Have you eaten at say Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner? If you run into the same road block there but are able to eat most other places, I would put my money on the family style service being the culprit.

Good luck to you, I hope you enjoy your trip no matter where you eat!

You can book the reservation for two and only show up as one. They will not charge you for the extra person as long as at least one person on the reservation is present. Also, although the food is served "family style" you are still at your own table--in your case a two-top. They simply bring out platters of food rather than bringing each person a separate plated breakfast. When we were there in September I believe the Mickey Waffles were also brought out separately so that they did not get cold or mushy from being with the eggs/meats.

Sorry, I meant that I was online at 6am today trying to get a slot. I was hoping for Breakfast at 8.

Anyway, I found out what was the problem and I am very disappointed and feel discriminated against I must say.

For kicks, I tried on the site to get a reservation for 2, even though I'm a solo traveler, for the same date and time, just to experiment and Lo and behold, tons of times available!! Ok, ok, I shouldn't jump to conclusions, so I called the Dining line, and guess what, the representative couldn't get a reservation for 1 either!!!

They're obviously not interested in sitting a table of 1 when they can hold back the reservations for larger parties they can make more money off of. This has never happened to me before, that I was aware of, but it does explain why I wasn't able to make solo reservations at Ohana for my last 2 solo trips.

Just make the reservation for 2! It's not you, it's the computer system. It doesn't like odd numbers. We are a family of 5, but often have to make ADR for 6. I'll search for 5 and find no availability, but switch to 6 and many options pop up. It's been like that for years. No penalty for showing up with one less guest. :)

I don't understand why this is such a big deal to get upset about? :confused3 Discriminated? No. Its a computer algorithm and it doesn't like odd numbers. Ive seen this issue a lot on the boards, groups of three and five have a difficult time with the system as well. Make a reservation for two and then kindly tell the host/ess that you will be dining alone. Not really that big of a deal, they aren't intentionally trying to offend you, the computer just can't handle the "math."

Thank you everyone! Your advise and kind words has made me feel better.

I almost did make the reservation for 2 but the lady on the phone cautioned against me from doing that as she couldn't guarantee I wouldn't get penalized with a charge. But now that I hear what some of you have to say, I think she's just forced to give the company policy and isn't allowed to actually book a reservation for someone knowing the whole party won't show up.

I would feel kind of guilty making a reservation for 2, as it would take away a seat for someone else. I mean, another part of me feels I would be entitled to do that, since it's not fair but...

You know, this way, I get the opportunity to have something like the Lobster Crepes at Cinderella's Royal Table one day, and the stuffed French Toast on the 2nd day. I can think of worse things than getting a reservation to eat in the Castle on 2 different days. And their breakfast really is the best dish they serve there, they say. I've had lunch and dinner there, previously, but I read their breakfast is now much improved with a different menu than it used to have, so I actually am looking forward to it. And I basically have reservations for just about every other character dining there is (except Cape May) so I will definitely get my fill of fun character meals, even without Ohana.

And I actually have some wonderful memories of eating at Ohana and great pics when I went there in 2005 with my mom, dad, and sister - that was pre-Lilo and Stitch days, and the characters were Chip and Dale and some of the Mickey characters, I know we got some great pics with those chipmunks!

Also, yes, I have eaten every solo trip at Liberty Tree Tavern, including years ago when it was a character meal, and I never had a problem getting a solo reservation there.

I have plenty of bright side I can look to though - I mean I got the Holy Grail of reservations - dinner at Be Our Guest that very same day, along with everything else I wanted.

The no-show policy is invoked only if no one in your party shows up.

If you have an ADR for 2 people, you are not charged for a no-show as long as 1 person shows up.

Someone please correct me if this has changed.

Make it online for 2, then call and reduce it to 1. I just changed an ADR from 7 to 5. If they can do that, they can do this for you.

The lady on the phone tried that. She thought she could make it for 2, and then go into the system and adjust it after. It still wouldn't let her.

She flat out told me they're holding the reservations for large parties first and just to check back the next day for single spots opening up.

But anyway, I'm over it and looking forward to my 2 ressies at CRT instead.

I was concerned about getting an ADR at some places because we are a party of three. If we are seated at a table for 4 would Disney be losing money on us? Luckily I was able to get all of our ADRs with no problem. As a solo traveller you have just as much right to eat where you want as those in larger groups. I would make the ADR online for 2 if you really want to eat there. Then call back later to cancel one person. Disney really does not intentionally discriminate against solo travelers - it's just the computer system that has trouble handling it.

I know that at some restaurants you are seated with other parties (Teppan Edo, Biergarten). I have done these as a solo traveller because I thought it would be fun to sit with a group and meet people. Once at the Plaza Restaurant they seated another solo traveler with me. They will ask you first. She was an exchange student from France.

As others have said, the computer system has problems with any odd number party - 1, 3, 5, 7. The system wants to fill all the seats at the table so a party of 1 is bypassed, but if you input 2 you'll find more availability. Go ahead and book the table for 2 since a party of 1 will be seated at a 2 top. When you check in at the restaurant just let the CM at the podium know you are a party of 1. I would not call to modify the reservations in advance because as long as you show up you won't be charged for the "missing" person. As a group of 3 we have made reservations for 4 on many trips and it was never a problem when we arrived at the restaurant.

I think you've made up your mind to do two CRT instead of Ohana, so this might not matter, but I would try to really not take it personally. Like others have said - totally just math. I've tried to get reservations for my family of 3 and it won't show anything but when I put 4 it comes up. I figure a family of 3 is going to sit at a 4 top anyway, so I just book it for four.

Either way it sounds like you'll have an amazing time - I've never been to either but they both sound great!

I don't understand why this is such a big deal to get upset about? :confused3 Discriminated? No. Its a computer algorithm and it doesn't like odd numbers. Ive seen this issue a lot on the boards, groups of three and five have a difficult time with the system as well. Make a reservation for two and then kindly tell the host/ess that you will be dining alone. Not really that big of a deal, they aren't intentionally trying to offend you, the computer just can't handle the "math."

This is SO helpful to know! I came to read this post with a similar issue - it is nearly impossible for me (even at 6am on day 180) to get ADRs for my party of 7. Perhaps I'll try 8 and see if that makes a difference (not that going from "big party" to "huge party" will be all helpful...). :rotfl:

OP - I hope you enjoy CRT! I love the dinner there. :love:

^^Should have said, "nearly impossible to get ADRs at LeCellier, CRT, BoG with our party of 7". Everything else is do-able...but I just went and saw that I got a wider range of times at less popular places when inputting 8 people. ;)

Again, I appreciate all the responses and advice. But I totally feel great now about my choice not to eat there - I was probably overboard upset at first but I'm not anymore - while I had great memories of the experience at 'Ohana with my family years ago, it was more about the overall experience with the characters than it was about the food, and I will have plenty of other character meals to enjoy - it isn't as if 'Ohana ever had the best food anyway - it was more about me just filling up my roster with all the character meals with my trip and me figuring that waking up at 6am at 180 days +10 would bea ll I needed to do.

But I'm very happy with what all my reservations I got for the 2 weeks now - yesterday I even got a 2nd Be Our Guest dinner for my trip! So, again I can't really complain at all. Also, I will still visit the Poly (where I've stayed before) to have a breakfast at the Kona Cafe, so it's all good really.

I know the OP has moved on (though you're missing out on a great breakfast!). But I just wanted to post for anyone else who might stumble on this thread. I was in the same position as OP, a solo traveler who could only get the system to make an ADR for two people. I showed up with just one person and was NOT charged a no-show fee.

Disney rule is that as long as someone from the ADR shows up, they will not charge the fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter