Ohana, Kona Cafe or Narcoosee's for Birthday

I love seafood and good cocktails. My dining companions are my husband and my 2.5 year old son, which makes me hesitant about fine/signature dining (he's actually a great, diverse eater so I don't need "kid food" but I'm worried about the pace of service - he can't sit still for more than hour and I don't want to feel out of place or like I'm being side eyed if he's antsy).
Narcoosee's. Tell them you would prefer to be out in around an hour. Get the white sangria, entree, and the almond crusted cheesecake for dessert (even though I see it is now $17, oh dear).

*just had the cheesecake and it was as good as ever

Last edited:
This is a tough call! I’ve eaten at Narcoosee’s twice and ‘Ohana multiple times and had great experiences at both. I love Kona’s breakfast but never been there for dinner.

If you’d like to stay at the resort, I’d probably stick with ‘Ohana if you can get a reservation. It seemed recent reviews are mixed, but they bring you so much food you’re sure to have several things you can eat. I know you mentioned the lack of seafood, but they have tasty shrimp there that I’ve always enjoyed.

You know your child best (and dining with littles can be challenging), but Narcoosee’s is DELICIOUS and will definitely have several great seafood options. I agree with a prior poster to keep it to two courses or less (and to let your server know you’d like your meal to move along). In addition, add your birthday to the reservation - they may bring you that delicious cheesecake dessert on the house!

Finally, I second another poster’s recommendation of the Grand Floridian Cafe! I’ve loved every meal there, it tends to be a quieter spot, and it’s very easy to book (even same-day). You’d have no trouble getting in and out with your kiddo.

Have a wonderful birthday - I’m sure you’ll enjoy whatever you choose!

Or I would get a ride share, and go to Disney Springs for boathouse, or one of my favorites Boma And show my kid the savannahs.
This is maybe a question for a different thread, but have you used ride share with a kid in a carseat or have thoughts on how quick a Minnie Van will show up when ordered? I lived in NYC for many years so am very familiar with Uber/Lyft, but I haven't used them with the kid in tow and understand it can be hard to find ones with car seats.

I would previously have no issue just hopping all over assuming I would be using rideshare and that would be easy, but everything seems like more of an ordeal with the need for the carseat, which is why I'm thinking I want to stay walkable for arrival day.

If I was confident a Minnie Van would quickly show up on either end, I probably would go over to the Boathouse.

Take a look at this. I haven’t used one, but friends say one is generally available in a few minutes.

Wouldn't recommend Ohana. Food was terrible, service not much better. I know some people said they were rushed but our experience was the complete opposite. The place was packed (therefore also very loud), we were seated 30min after our reservation time (and the waiting area was also packed with guests waiting for their tables) and dining took about 90min. They just threw some mass-produced food at us every now and then. The chicken was raw inside despite being burned on the outside.
I haven't been to Narcoossee's (it was closed during our stay) but we dined at some of the other signature restaurants. In our experience service was prompt and very attentive. Food was great and the ambience was lovely. I think you'll have a much better time celebrating a special occasion - such as your birthday - at a signature restaurant.
I agree. We were not fans of ohana's in the slightest. Perhaps if your sole intention is to eat eat eat and eat more until you are beyond full then go for it. Price was not worth it at all to us, especially with kids. Atmosphere was meh and service was just ok. Not worth the price imo.

Help me pick my birthday dinner please! We're staying at the Polynesian, planning to do my birthday meal on our arrival day (after getting in around 2pm) and don't want to venture too far from the resort and won't have park passes that day. I love seafood and good cocktails. My dining companions are my husband and my 2.5 year old son, which makes me hesitant about fine/signature dining (he's actually a great, diverse eater so I don't need "kid food" but I'm worried about the pace of service - he can't sit still for more than hour and I don't want to feel out of place or like I'm being side eyed if he's antsy).

So my top options are 1) Ohana (no seafood, but people seem to rave about it, very convenient and seems the most kid-friendly), 2) Kona Cafe (more seafood and also very convenient but I don't see many people talking about it so not sure how good it isl) or 3) Narcoosee's (has the seafood, fairly close, but worried about pace of service). Thoughts on any of those or any other suggestions? Particularly interested in how quickly we can get in and out while still enjoying our food.
Last few meals I've had at 'Ohana were not great. It used to be great. Now it is overpriced and running on an outdated reputation, IMO.

Kona is an underdog, but our most recent meals were great. Downside is a bit of a limited menu, or at least it was the last time I checked. That might have improved in the last year. If you can find food that appeals to you, it has usually been very good over the years. They serve good food to make up for slightly less exciting setting.

I have not been to Narcoosee's super recently, but it is a very nice location. Balcony is great for photos. On my most recent visit, I felt it was overpriced, but others have spoken well of the new menu. It might be a bit much for a toddler.

I vote for Kona.

Other options include the Grand Floridan Cafe. If you go to GF Cafe, and time it so you finish dinner just before fireworks, that will be pretty magical. You can see fireworks outside by the marina. Maybe even grab your dessert from the quick serve. That way your toddler can enjoy being outdoors, and the indoor part of dinner could be a bit shorter if you wish. Outdoors, you can all relax and play a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter