Ohana Let Down!

Frankie Nova

Mouseketeer
Just returned from my week long Anniversary trip and had a wonderful time. would like to report Ohana was a total disappointment. They changed the sides to that accompany the meat they serve you and Hawaiian ? Far from it ! Tasted more like cheap buffet oriental food!.. throw some pineapple in there at least to distract you!!!....do something to hawaiaanize it at least
Was really looking forward toeating there again seeing the last time I was there (with my kids ) it was 8:45pm and we were all exhausted but yet it was very good. This time (my last time) not at all
Wont complain about the service because all the wait staff minus mine were great. I had to continually seek out and ask if I wanted a refill on beef chicken or shrimp.
total disappointment... off the list for next trip!

Unless its a very recent change, the Dis Unplugged podcast just did a review of Ohana dinner and the sides were what they've always been. Their only complaint was that it was a fast paced meal and they felt rush.

We went last summer for the first time and it was a disappointment. The recent dis unplugged review rang true. The food tasted fine but it was so rushed and service was pretty terrible. Everything came out at once except for the steak. It didn't come until our waiter (who I hadn't seen for 15 minutes) came by to offer dessert. When I pointed out we hadn't got any steak skewers he rudely said "oh so you want more steak" and took off before I could correct him. Not more, just any. Also we were never at any point offered more of anything. I probably could have eaten more chicken. Oh well. One and done for me.

We had dinner there during our last trip and I disliked so much about it - its not even a consideration anymore. Having to de-shell shrimp that's been sauteed or grilled was not something I've clearly been able to master because I had greasy fingers while struggling to de-shell the little critters. The meat was too moist - not like slimy moist, just maybe overly doused in marinade, and the chicken was the opposite.

We ate there 3 months ago. The sides were the same. It was better than my previous visit. My expectations of OHana aren't as high as others. Its not in my top 10. I think what made it better was the server was the best I've ever had there. We had first hour seating and didn't feel rushed, although we were trying to get out of there quickly.

i felt very rushed, and it was after waiting in the lobby for 40-50 minutes to be seated. server was rude. its off our list too, but we did get the bread pudding at the bar last trip!!!

Ohana is a must do for my family but it is a hit and miss sometimes... Ive gone and everything was just perfect and delicious, other times the meat has been dry and sides were cold, or service was bad.. But its still a must do for our family..

We ate there last month for the first time. We didn't get bread when were seated, didn't even realize we were supposed to until we saw all the tables around us with it. Thought the Salad was good, Dumplings Excellent, Wings OK. Noodles a bit bland. Chicken was good, wasn't a fan of the marinade on the Beef but is was tender, the Shrimp were OK. Dessert awesome. Service very friendly but a bit rushed. I'm glad we tried it but it was a 1 and done for us.

I've been there three times. First time (about four years ago), food and service were good. Second time (about three years ago) I didn't like the food, and the service left much to be desired. Gave it one more chance last month, but again, the service disappointed us, the food was not good, and as the OP said, the food no longer was Hawaiian-style, either. I know a lot of people say this place is hit or miss. For me, it's been hit, miss, miss. I don't plan to go there again, and glad there are so many other restaurants to choose from at WDW.

We went last summer for the first time and it was a disappointment. The recent dis unplugged review rang true. The food tasted fine but it was so rushed and service was pretty terrible. Everything came out at once except for the steak. It didn't come until our waiter (who I hadn't seen for 15 minutes) came by to offer dessert. When I pointed out we hadn't got any steak skewers he rudely said "oh so you want more steak" and took off before I could correct him. Not more, just any. Also we were never at any point offered more of anything. I probably could have eaten more chicken. Oh well. One and done for me.
our waiter wasn't rude just scarce..

We ate there last night, and we were happy customers.

The food was excellent, and we were there over two hours so we certainly weren’t rushed. The menu is the same it has been for years. I didn’t notice any changes in the sides.

The one criticism we had is that the drinks weren’t as good as they’ve been in the past. My group of six adults ordered five Lapu Lapu drinks, and all of us thought they were too sweet. We had issues with our drinks last September too.

I think next time we go, we’ll stick with soft drinks. The bar used to serve some of the best cocktails at WDW, but last night made it two visits when the booze was subpar.

Also, the entertainment was pretty good last night. A male ukulele player performed Over the Rainbow and led guests in a hula lesson. Our little girls had a lot of fun with that. They also liked the paper umbrellas that they got from our drinks even though we adults didn’t enjoy the drinks.

We ate there for the first time 6 days ago, the food was ok and we left full but at 46 dollars we won't be doing it again, I have had much better meals at Disney.
I will say I am not a dessert eater but it was really good.

Last edited:
Why a must do then?
It's the experience as a whole that we love, the restaurant itself, the singer that walks around, the view from the restaurant, the dessert is amazing and I would say out of 10 times we went in 14 years 7 were great plus we always stay at Poly and Ohana is part of our resort day, ending it watching fireworks on the beach

We do signature meals like Narcossee, CG, LC, Jiko so we get that there are better and we enjoy the other restaurants too but even so my family always requests it and my kids are grown and still ask for it. In fact we have a big family trio where the kids are staying at AOA and hubby and I are at Poly and we aren't spending all our park days together or meals but this is 1 of 2 they requested to do together out of the 9 nights

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter