****OI Meetup**** -June 4-5, 2021

I’ve been reading about how crazy busy the parks have been recently. So glad I took the plunge and bought our first meetup tickets last spring! We leave in 28 days!! Graduation celebration for my daughter (or maybe me since I’m the Universal nut and just finished putting two kids through college :)). We will be doing our first visit to volcano bay on Thursday and then first time at a meetup Friday and Saturday nights. A lot of firsts for someone who’s been a passholder off and on for the last 15 years. Can’t wait!!
Fun! and yes you deserve a vacation after putting 2 through college!! I mean that deserves a celebration every day LOL I have seen it being busy too and thought on man, but we tend to go early, leave shortly after lunch for a break and then head back in the evenings and it's been not too bad. We went twice in late May/June and early/mid June and wasn't as bad as we thought it would be except midday. However, new coaster (lots hoping for soft openings) and covid stir crazy may contribute to busier than normal even for a busy day.

Either way I can't wait! Taylor also teased a meetup t-shirt design, so there may be at least a shirt for purchase. :)

Late to the thread but DH, Mom, Dad, Sis and I will be at our first OI meetup in June! We're just doing the first night as we fly home on Saturday.

We're doing a few days at WDW then switching over to the Hard Rock Hotel (got a pretty good AP rate for club level).

Less than a month to go! So excited! :)

Welcome! This is also our first meetup, and we are so excited! I can't wait to do a split trip with Disney/USO it'll be a lot of fun! Trying to convince my 16 yr old to do that for her graduation lol if she chooses Universal, since we have 3 trips planned from now until 2022 when our APs expire.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

29 Days Until the Meetup!
I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready! lol Time seems to be going by pretty fast and with all these new changes, no temp checks, the less spacing between guests, I am kind of worried about how much busier it's about to be.... I don't want to start a battle about temps/masks etc, just be aware that the guidelines have changed and may result in busier parks is my guess.

So funny enough my 16 yr old is a theatre kid, her school chose The Spongebob Musical for their spring musical and it's hilarious! My girl is Squidward and is fab, I can't wait to watch it live stream tonight. I am hoping he'll be out at the meetup so we can get a decent pic of them together, she is so excited that he's a character meet/photo op. When we went years ago, we only saw Spongebob and Patrick.

So for the meetup - what is your BIG thing you are most looking forward too?

Welcome! This is also our first meetup, and we are so excited! I can't wait to do a split trip with Disney/USO it'll be a lot of fun! Trying to convince my 16 yr old to do that for her graduation lol if she chooses Universal, since we have 3 trips planned from now until 2022 when our APs expire.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

29 Days Until the Meetup!
I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready! lol Time seems to be going by pretty fast and with all these new changes, no temp checks, the less spacing between guests, I am kind of worried about how much busier it's about to be.... I don't want to start a battle about temps/masks etc, just be aware that the guidelines have changed and may result in busier parks is my guess.

So funny enough my 16 yr old is a theatre kid, her school chose The Spongebob Musical for their spring musical and it's hilarious! My girl is Squidward and is fab, I can't wait to watch it live stream tonight. I am hoping he'll be out at the meetup so we can get a decent pic of them together, she is so excited that he's a character meet/photo op. When we went years ago, we only saw Spongebob and Patrick.

Just being in the parks during our first meet-up! :):):)

When we went to the meet up last February, it was an entire family affair. Me, DH, my sister and BIL, and my parents. My husband and I had only ever been to Uni once 5 or so years ago. My dad, sister, and BIL had never been. We did one night and while I don’t feel like we really “rushed” around to hit everything, it also wasn’t the same as if we had been before. This time it’s just my mom and I. We know which rides we don’t want to ride this go around, so I’m looking forward to just really taking our time, and enjoying it in a different way than last time.

I am looking forward to a summer meetup, only been to the winter meetups. Won't have to carry around a jacket or coat. Looking forward to walking on rides, being in a fun atmosphere and help saving the world by being a Freedom Fighter. I also can't wait to have a banana slush in IOA.

Can't wait to see the t-shirt. Wondering when we get to order.

Three weeks from today, we'll be on a plane to Florida! We have a few days in St. Augustine before we head to Orlando. The Velocicoaster tech rehearsals have me giddy with excitement: Hopefully they'll still be running them when we're there. Don't know if they would stop them prior to the official opening to build anticipation or if I'm just playing worst-case scenario so I don't get my hopes up. Regardless, we are looking forward to being there very soon!

Is there a ride you always ride first, no matter what? For us, it's Spider-Man. We are huge Spidey fans in general, and this was the first ride my husband and I rode when on our first UO trip 20 years ago (for our honeymoon!) so it has sentimental value for us. Though we may have to break tradition this year for Hagrid's or Velocicoaster!

First time Universal guest here! I'm taking my daughter and mom to the June meet up - it'll be the first time at Universal for all three of us and it's our gift for my daughter's birthday and "graduation" from elementary school. We're giving her the gift on her birthday this week and I'm so excited to see her reaction. We live just a few hours away, so we will drive down Friday and just stay for the Friday meet up. We have a room at HR for Friday night, and then will come home Saturday.

Any tips for first timers?

Can't wait!!

First time Universal guest here! I'm taking my daughter and mom to the June meet up - it'll be the first time at Universal for all three of us and it's our gift for my daughter's birthday and "graduation" from elementary school. We're giving her the gift on her birthday this week and I'm so excited to see her reaction. We live just a few hours away, so we will drive down Friday and just stay for the Friday meet up. We have a room at HR for Friday night, and then will come home Saturday.

Can't wait!!
Read the email OI sends. It has very useful information. Have a plan to decide which way to go so you aren't spending a ton of time hoping around the park. If there is a line, skip it and come back later. Share food so you don't stuff yourself on the first thing you get. If you have questions, text OI, they are very responsive. Bring your interactive wand. There aren't lines to use them.

Just being in the parks during our first meet-up! :):):)

Yes!!! Me too! I've been to USO twice before but it's been 5 years, so lots of changes and I am so excited to come for a special event!

When we went to the meet up last February, it was an entire family affair. Me, DH, my sister and BIL, and my parents. My husband and I had only ever been to Uni once 5 or so years ago. My dad, sister, and BIL had never been. We did one night and while I don’t feel like we really “rushed” around to hit everything, it also wasn’t the same as if we had been before. This time it’s just my mom and I. We know which rides we don’t want to ride this go around, so I’m looking forward to just really taking our time, and enjoying it in a different way than last time.
Sounds like a good plan! We will be there from June 1-9, so we have plenty of time to ride all the rides we want, but to be able to just walk on pretty much everything when it's not as HOT, yes!!!! lol that is my biggest yay lol My little one has some special needs and the heat is rough on her, so we go early, take breaks midday and return in the evenings usually, so this night time event will be great for her. She can ride all the things without worrying about the sun. We told our kids to make lists of Must do rides and food, everything else is gravy!

I am looking forward to a summer meetup, only been to the winter meetups. Won't have to carry around a jacket or coat. Looking forward to walking on rides, being in a fun atmosphere and help saving the world by being a Freedom Fighter. I also can't wait to have a banana slush in IOA.

Can't wait to see the t-shirt. Wondering when we get to order.
Oh I imagine that is a pain having to keep up with coats and such. We did Disney one year at Christmas, but I wore carpis/short sleeve shirts the whole time I think but I tend to be hot natured most times ;) We also go in November this year, so maybe I'll need a light something for that, my kids will be "freezing" and need a hoodie, course they wear them NOW and it's HOT. Kids!

I keep watching for the shirt, but haven't seen anything else yet.... he's killing me. I see he's giving away some money on Friday lol may need to tune in to that info if you haven't. ;) :D

Three weeks from today, we'll be on a plane to Florida! We have a few days in St. Augustine before we head to Orlando. The Velocicoaster tech rehearsals have me giddy with excitement: Hopefully they'll still be running them when we're there. Don't know if they would stop them prior to the official opening to build anticipation or if I'm just playing worst-case scenario so I don't get my hopes up. Regardless, we are looking forward to being there very soon!

Is there a ride you always ride first, no matter what? For us, it's Spider-Man. We are huge Spidey fans in general, and this was the first ride my husband and I rode when on our first UO trip 20 years ago (for our honeymoon!) so it has sentimental value for us. Though we may have to break tradition this year for Hagrid's or Velocicoaster!
Just 23 days til we meetup!!! Whoohoooo! 19 til we leave for our summer vacay and I am so ready. I am a sub and phew these kids are D-O-N-E for the year haha me too :D I really hope we'll get some soft opening rides while there or my fingers and toes still crossed for a sneak peek at the meetup. I feel Taylor could work his magic, don't you think??? lol We are big spidey fans too, esp my 11 yr old, her fav. The two times we went, once we rode spidey first the other time, I don't even know. Maybe ET? I remember as a kid going to USO and ET was my fav, probably because I loved the movie and it's just nostalgic for me. The 11 yr old loves it too but she was only 5ish when we went and couldn't ride a lot of the big rides, so we rode it and woody wood pecker all.the.time lol she is ready for all the big rides this year!!

Can't wait!!
You'll have to tell us her reaction! That's a great gift :) I think my tip is just to take in the sights some if you can. Get in as early as you can so 4 pm so you have time to enjoy some of the things that will be closed during the meetup, if they are important to you. Make a list of MUST do things and MUST eat foods and do those before other things. That way when those are done, you have time to enjoy the other things but if you make it a priority to do certain rides, you won't be disappointed that you missed them later. Other than that, enjoy, relax, have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have less than 12 work days (substitute teacher) and only 19 days til we leave for this trip. I keep thinking it is going to be busier than I was expecting due to easing of restrictions, the soft/tech runs of VC and because it's summer, but I hope I will be pleasantly surprised lol the last times we went in the last week of May/first of June or the second week of June, it wasn't that bad. However, I think it's in part because of our planning, go early, leave when it's crazy and return in the evening. We have talked about not doing that this time...but I am not so keen on that :p guess we will see.

So now tell me what souvenir you plan to buy? Or what do you always buy when at the parks?

I almost always get a magnet and a Christmas ornament, so those will both be on my list. The kids always want a new hoodie, so that will likely happen. I rarely buy a shirt, but maybe a pin, but I may buy that meetup shirt!

So now tell me what souvenir you plan to buy? Or what do you always buy when at the parks?

Depending on what the OI shirts look like, we might get those. As far as general UO souvenirs go, we do sometimes buy shirts (DH and DD mostly) and DH likes ballcaps, too. Last year I bought an ornament, so might do that again. Sometimes we buy tumblers or glasses, but not usually coffee mugs because we have a ton already. We'll see what, if anything, strikes our fancy this year! We've hosted an exchange student all year and she is going with us on this trip before she goes back to France, so maybe we'll do the ornament thing and get one for her to take back home!

@Darrah well I missed the meetup shirts lol I was working and not on facebook when the released so they were sold out when I finally saw it. I wish they had sent a text or email so it was more of a direct, hey we are now selling these items. Oh well. Maybe I'll luck up in November.

I love the ornament idea for your exchange student, that would be a great thing to have and of course tons of pics for memories!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I am sure you've all seen the latest guidelines about the masks and such. I am wishy washy on that whole aspect, but I guess it is what it is lol and we'll see how it all pans out. I've been toying with seeing if there were any premier hotels open the week of the meetup because I am thinking with the relaxed rules, the coaster it's going to be even busier..... so I happened to check today. There was a 2 queen room open at Hard Rock for the second half of our trip....so I have it currently booked. Express passes are between $270/329 I think a person/per day during the days I looked at, so for $335 a night I can get the hotel and ep for all 4 of us..... which is basically the cost of 1 express pass. It's just crazy to me! So I am going to sit and talk with hubby tonight so we can decide if we are for sure keeping the room, even though it is double the cost of Dockside...but it may just be worth it for the days leading up to the big opening of VC!

We lucked out and I happened to see the meet-up merch post on FB about 30 mins after it was posted and was able to snag shirts or hats for all of my family who is attending!

We decided to pass on the shirts this year. They were cute, but decided to save our money for something else.

Also unsure about the mask mandate changes. Our girls have only had one shot each (they are 14 and 15 so just qualified) and won’t be fully vaccinated. Our younger is more wary/cautious than the other and probably won’t feel comfortable without a mask so we may wear ours in solidarity. 😂 Though it’s really only in open spaces where you can go without so we’ll probably end up having to wear them most of the time anyway!

Besides, any day at the park in a mask is better than any day at home without one, right? 🤪

My hubby and 16 yr old just got their 2nd shot this past week, so they will be good when we head down. However my 11 year old is not, so we will def make sure she is still wearing. Though I feel our odds are fairly good since she's been in school that has had exposures in her class and so far so good. She is good about wearing her mask though anyway. I mean we all have to wear them at some points there anyway so it'll be no biggie in general for us. My 16 yr old might still wear it haha.

I agree any day in the park is better than home!

Emails come out Friday!

WHEEEEEE! And I'm an idiot because this whole time I thought they'd come out Thursday because that's the day we arrive, but, duh, Friday is actually two weeks out. Either way, won't be long now! We leave two weeks from today I can't wait!

WHEEEEEE! And I'm an idiot because this whole time I thought they'd come out Thursday because that's the day we arrive, but, duh, Friday is actually two weeks out. Either way, won't be long now! We leave two weeks from today I can't wait!
I believe it was the December 2019 meetup. The emails came out a day or two early. I keep checking my email.

I'm ready, I'm ready LOL everytime I get a Universal email I think it's it! lol Just a few more days or maybe earlier!!! 16 days til the meetup and 12 til we leave!

Finalized my dining reservations! I keep saying that and then change something because I am addicted to changing reservations to have something to do related to our trip.

Anyone every have Amatista Cookhouse at Sapphire Falls for breakfast? I thought the Caribbean french toast would be delicious so I made a reservation for the Friday morning, first night of the meetup. Don't want to be stuffed.

For the Bonus Bites, I am wondering if you only get one "main" dish item and if it comes with a side, like french fries/potato salad? I want to try the sliders but the wings sound tasty too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter