OKW extension

Revtel

Mouseketeer
I received the documentation this morning to DECLINE the offer of the fifteen year extension. It looks like I have to have two witnesses, one of whom has to be a Notary Public, presumably a solicitor.

It does seem a very cumbersome process to say "no" to something I didn't ask for in the first place. Has anyone any experience of how this works, and the likely cost involved?:confused:

Not all solicitors are notary publics. I hate to think what the cost will be. It's a nuisance that we have to go through this just to say no.

Thanks, Mikki.

Looks like there is one in our town, but they only work office hours. I'm going to have to take some time off work and visit his office with my wife to sign the Disney form declining the offer, then post the documents back to Disney, all at my own expense.

No idea of the cost yet.

As you can imagine, I am not very happy about this :mad:

I hope my papers arrive this week so that I can take them out with me and make one of the disney sales lawyers be my witness as they were when we bought.

I agree we should not have to incur expenses just to say no and am thinking of writing to Disney and asking for clarification of this otherwise they can wait until September when we return from the Panama cruise and they can have it then.
Brenda

Well the post has just come and in it are the papers. I'm going to take them with me next week and see how I get on if I visit the DVC sales office!

Remember, we all received a credit on our 2008 dues ($25, I think) to offset the costs of notary fees, postage, etc.

Remember, we all received a credit on our 2008 dues ($25, I think) to offset the costs of notary fees, postage, etc.

$25 is equal to about £12.50 and it will cost a lot more than that to get a Notary Public to witness the papers over here

I know that, but £12.50 hardly covers the inconvenience of having to take time off work just to get a piece of paper signed, never mind the fees and return postage. :confused3

Well ... what would happen if you did nothing?

I don't pretend to know or understand the full complexities of the extension but it would seem logical that, if you have declined to take up the offer to extend your contract, your original contract with DVC would stay in place. As you haven't signed sign to say you accept it, why can't DVC take your inactivity as confirmation that you don't wish to accept the offer? Having said that, I'm sure I wouldn't have the courage to not do as I'm told by DVC if I was in your position, LOL!

Have you been given a deadline for returning the paperwork?

Well ... what would happen if you did nothing?

I don't pretend to know or understand the full complexities of the extension but it would seem logical that, if you have declined to take up the offer to extend your contract, your original contract with DVC would stay in place. As you haven't signed sign to say you accept it, why can't DVC take your inactivity as confirmation that you don't wish to accept the offer? Having said that, I'm sure I wouldn't have the courage to not do as I'm told by DVC if I was in your position, LOL!

Have you been given a deadline for returning the paperwork?

There is no deadline mentioned, although if I get it back to them soon, I get a FREE limited edition lithograph of OKW!:rotfl:

Actually, it's not the cost that's the problem, I just cannot see how they can insist on us going to the trouble of engaging a Notary Public to decline an offer that we didn't ask for, that we don't want, and was not mentioned as a possibility when we signed the original contract. If it was just my signature that was required, that would be fine, but the other stuff just annoys me intensely. Are they going to make another "offer" in five years time? And the $25 discount is, frankly, a bit of an insult, considering the thousands of dollars they have taken from me over the years.

I think I'll sit on this for a while and see what happens.:cool2:

Well the post has just come and in it are the papers. I'm going to take them with me next week and see how I get on if I visit the DVC sales office!

When we were originally purchasing, our sales rep told us that most of the sales people were Notary Publics, so you should be able to get your docs signed and witnessed by them. Surely they wouldn't charge you for this? I know here that our Notary's charge about £220.00 per hour. I know it will take about 30 seconds for this witnessing, but we will still probably be charged for an hour!

Pam

There is no deadline mentioned, although if I get it back to them soon, I get a FREE limited edition lithograph of OKW!:rotfl:

Actually, it's not the cost that's the problem, I just cannot see how they can insist on us going to the trouble of engaging a Notary Public to decline an offer that we didn't ask for, that we don't want, and was not mentioned as a possibility when we signed the original contract. If it was just my signature that was required, that would be fine, but the other stuff just annoys me intensely. Are they going to make another "offer" in five years time? And the $25 discount is, frankly, a bit of an insult, considering the thousands of dollars they have taken from me over the years.

I think I'll sit on this for a while and see what happens.:cool2:

I think we re going to do the sme - our nearest Notary is a good distance away. When we purchased the papers were sent to us here and we signed and returned without incurring any additional costs. Has anyone contacted Disney to ask what this is all about. Feel they are just trying to put pressure on us to take up this offer and I thought Disney were a better timeshare organisation than that. After all our contract does not expire until 2042 so why the rush? Personally if I was going to spend money I would purchase an additional points interest in another property now.
Brenda

Feel they are just trying to put pressure on us to take up this offer and I thought Disney were a better timeshare organisation than that.

Actually, I hadn't thought about that, although it does feel a bit like that, doesn't it?

The papers come with the usual "last chance to change your mind" sales pitch. Strangely enough, if we say "yes", all we have to do is sign on the dotted line. It's only if we say "no" that we have to go through all this rigmarole.

They can't be making it deliberately difficult to say no, can they? Surely not! ;)

I'll give someone a ring today to find out the anticipated cost for a NP to witness this document. If it is anything like the £220 per hour that Pam suggests, I'll be telling Disney where they can file their paperwork!

Mine haven't arrived yet, but that's my plan too. I tried to call my guide a few days ago to arrange this (read on the US boards of someone doing it) and got a message telling me she's getting married and will be away for 3 weeks but giving me alternative 1-800 numbers to contact stand-ins. Just when I wanted a 407 number!! I'll just make the call as soon as I arrive and hope for the best. I believe it's quite simple to arrange.

Well, I just called our nearest Notary Public who is in Lytham, and she told me the following:-

The minimum fee for one document with one signature is £80 plus VAT. If it is an international document (such as Disney!) there will be additional fees which she could not specify without seeing the document.

She also told me that this is the nationally agreed rate for the service within their Society. :scared1:

(I'll be dropping a line to Disney later!)

I just sent this email to our vacation guide at Disney. I'll let you know what response I get!

We have now received our documents with regard to our declining the offer to extend our interest at OKW.

I see that we have to engage the services of a Notary Public in order to do this. I have looked into this, and I am told that the cost to me will be a minimum of £80 (plus tax), and will probably be more if the document (which she hasn't seen yet) is a US legal document. To make it easier for you, this is going to cost me around $200, probably more, and I am not at all happy about this. I did not ask for this "offer", you know I don't want it, and yet it is going to cost me a significant sum of money just to turn it down. I understand that Disney gave everyone a credit of $25 on our last dues bill, but this is nowhere near sufficient to offset the cost. It may work in the US, but not here!

I am sure I am not the only UK member who will feel very badly treated by this.

So advice please. Are Disney going to cover the cost of this and if not, why not?

Have just got off the phone to Disney regarding this and they are having many people telephoning in with this problem. We are going to be in Orlando after the Panama cruise and they have told us to take the papers with us and they will sort out there. Apparently the office is in Saratoga Springs and I sincerely hope we do not have to mess about too much and waste time on our holiday for this. Told them we did not have this to do when we purchased and people over here feel bad about it.

She could only advise people to phone in on the freephone number and get advice from them but told her I would post so people are aware.
Brenda

We just had a second lot of papers arrive. I know we have two contracts and a sub contract but the initial offer/decline paperwork listed them all together. If we were not heading out to the states and planning to do it there I would be getting very cross.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter