OKW extension

We just had a second lot of papers arrive. I know we have two contracts and a sub contract but the initial offer/decline paperwork listed them all together. If we were not heading out to the states and planning to do it there I would be getting very cross.

Thanks for that.

I just realised that we have two contracts for OKW, and the paperwork so far only covers one of them. Does this mean that there will be another set of documents to be certified?

Twice the price, no doubt! :mad: :mad:

Have just got off the phone to Disney regarding this and they are having many people telephoning in with this problem. We are going to be in Orlando after the Panama cruise and they have told us to take the papers with us and they will sort out there. Apparently the office is in Saratoga Springs and I sincerely hope we do not have to mess about too much and waste time on our holiday for this. Told them we did not have this to do when we purchased and people over here feel bad about it.

She could only advise people to phone in on the freephone number and get advice from them but told her I would post so people are aware.
Brenda

Thanks for that - I just realised that we have 3 contracts in total so it will be much easier for us to take them over to saratoga to get them signed.

Oh this is ridiculous!! :rolleyes: Looks like I will have to pay a notary fee, as we're not going back to WDW for a couple of years yet.

NOT happy :mad:

Am not convinced that a notary in US has the same qualifications as one in our country and feel this is something that should be clarified by Disney also.
Somehow feel that they are the same as people over here who can sign your passport photo and application and would be worth checking up on.

I am a parish councillor here and often sign people's documents for them (and don't charge like doctors seem to. If this is correct then perhaps your local councillor or even school teacher carries the same qualifications as their notary. Have you phoned Disney to find this out - may be worthwhile doing that. We would definitely not spend money out to get these forms witnessed as has been said previously we have not asked for this, it was not in our original contract and there was no mention of it. We did not do this when we purchased. Our forms were sent over to us here in England and we signed and returned.

Just wonder if one of our US friends on the boards could tell us what qualifications you need to be a notary in their country.
Brenda

Notaries Public here in the US are used mainly to verify someone's identity and signature.

If the person(s) is/are not personally known by the Notary Public he/she/they must provide identification sufficient to prove who they are and their signature. Usually a drivers license, state issued ID card or passport suffice. Fees for this are usually capped by state law ($10 range) or waived if there is a business relationship between "you" and the NP. For instance, most bank branches have one or more NP's, and they don't usually charge a fee if you have an account there.

Sounds like the definition of "Notary" should be clarified by DVC for you in the UK.

Oh this is ridiculous!! :rolleyes: Looks like I will have to pay a notary fee, as we're not going back to WDW for a couple of years yet.

NOT happy :mad:

Have you phoned them Becky?

I called last night and as I expected, it is simple to arrange to do it if you are over there and has been said, they are very aware of the issue of cost in the UK.

I am hoping they will find a way around it for those of you not about to visit soon - surely they MUST? £80 plus is a ridiculous amount for people to pay under the circumstances.

Notaries Public here in the US are used mainly to verify someone's identity and signature.

If the person(s) is/are not personally known by the Notary Public he/she/they must provide identification sufficient to prove who they are and their signature. Usually a drivers license, state issued ID card or passport suffice. Fees for this are usually capped by state law ($10 range) or waived if there is a business relationship between "you" and the NP. For instance, most bank branches have one or more NP's, and they don't usually charge a fee if you have an account there.

Sounds like the definition of "Notary" should be clarified by DVC for you in the UK.

Quite agree there are many people in this country that can witness signatures etc. but are not solicitors nor notaries.
Bren

Have you phoned them Becky?

I called last night and as I expected, it is simple to arrange to do it if you are over there and has been said, they are very aware of the issue of cost in the UK.

I am hoping they will find a way around it for those of you not about to visit soon - surely they MUST? £80 plus is a ridiculous amount for people to pay under the circumstances.

I haven't received my paperwork yet Moira, but once I do I will give them a ring. :) As Brenda suggests, it may well be possible to find someone less expensive to sign them!! If not, I will be tempted to put the money I would be paying to a Notary towards a mini break to WDW - money better spent IMHO!!! :rotfl:

We got ours done last week at Saratoga Springs. We spoke to a lady called Jennifer who was one of the most helpful people I have ever met.
We hadn't even received the paperwork before going {remember for some reason DVC documentation doesn't come from Florida} but she managed to get everything sorted within an hour and then got us a ride back to BWV in the Tour Van {we had "Sailed" from Downtown Disney}.

Good Luck !

Phil :)

We have not had our paperwork yet but I remember when we bought in 1994 they said we needed a Notary....however I just got a friend of mine who was a solicitor to sign and had no problems....so what would happen if you got a normal solicitor to sign these new documents.......how would they know :cool1:

When we purchased I just got a solicitor friend of mine to witness the deeds and that worked.

The actual Disney Deed as drafted requires the notary to be licenced in a US State. Just as common sense dictates that you ignore this, I think the same applies to the whole Notary Public requirement - as long as you get it witnessed by someone appropriate (a solicitor or bank official say) it should be OK. I suspect that it is similar to cheques in that the signatures are never checked. The worst that could happen, if you got say your bank to witness it, is that Disney ask you to get it done again.

We went to an appointment with our DVC rep (Cynthia) today to get the documents signed. Our rep was not available but someone else (Carol) came to see us. They said they needed photo id with date of birth, signature. We had a passport for one of us and a picture driving license for the other. Then they checked and said they needed proof we were in the US legally so only the passport with the green immigration form would do. Pity the rep didn't tell us when we made the appointment. Wasted quite a bit of our day. The person we saw said we didn't need an appointment so could just turn up with the passports and papers another day and they would be done. We will let you know what happens when we try! We were not at all happy today!

We went to an appointment with our DVC rep (Cynthia) today to get the documents signed. Our rep was not available but someone else (Carol) came to see us. They said they needed photo id with date of birth, signature. We had a passport for one of us and a picture driving license for the other. Then they checked and said they needed proof we were in the US legally so only the passport with the green immigration form would do. Pity the rep didn't tell us when we made the appointment. Wasted quite a bit of our day. The person we saw said we didn't need an appointment so could just turn up with the passports and papers another day and they would be done. We will let you know what happens when we try! We were not at all happy today!

Thanks for that info - I'll make sure we take all that stuff with us when we go

I think this is really bad of Disney as this is part of your holiday and they could treat people better and tell them exactly what they want from us.

Just wonder what would happen if you did not return the form and what they could do about that.
Bren

After reading this thread I emailed my DVC guide, who is based in California. I just received a telephone call from her and, after talking to her manager, she said that if I was going to be there sometime in the NEXT YEAR, they could take care of it for us. I said we were going to California in August and she told me to bring it with me then. She also said she would make a note of it on my file.

Now I've just got to remember to add it to my packing list!

My husband and I went to OKW in October and made an appointment with our vacation guide, she set up an appointment with their legal team. It took just 10 minutes to sign all the papers and have it witnessed at no cost to us.:cheer2: :cheer2:

I was really surprised when I read this Mikki, because it's exactly the same as we took along to Saratoga today - one passport and one photo driving licence - and at first the guide looked a bit uncertain, but he took photo copies of both forms of ID and everything was done smoothly and quickly. Aah, I've just checked and both green immigration stubs were in the passport we took with us; that must be why we were okay I suppose.

He then took us for a free ice cream sundae :) Just glad it's out of the way.

we're heading to WDW in 3 weeks time and I have just spoken to MS about signing the papers while we are there. They said to call when we get there and they'll set up an appointment. I'm hoping it all goes smoothly *** I don't want to spend lots of time sorting out something I don't see t he need for in the first place :sad2:

I phoned up the Admin department dealing with this last night. They said that any solicitor can witness the documents being signed. When returning the papers ensure that a copy of the bill in enclosed and the money will be refunded into our account and come off next years dues.

I asked what would happen if we don't sign and they said that we would be stopped from using our DVC! I felt that this was blackmail and was really upset that Disney would treat us like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter