OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

I also quite like the look of buildings 45 and 46.
We are DVC members, but we're staying using cash (got to love the free dining plan) - can we still make requests through member services?

Thanks

Kev
No, you would make your requests through the same place you made your reservations. Member Services can't help you as you aren't using points.

I really tried my best to look through all of the room/building suggestions but it is so hard when there are 100+ pages back from 2013 and so on so if someone would be so kind to answer my questions? It is mostly noise related.......

1. Is it worth being close to the Turtle Shack Snack Bar/Pool area if we enjoy the quieter pools but also being close to somewhat of QS food, I am just concerned about the noise from the roads if we request buildings 41 or 42....

2. Can you refill your refillable mugs at the Turtle Shack Snack bar? Or just at the Hospitality area?

3. I am looking at being closer to the Turtle shack snack bar/pool area seems right for my boyfriend and I, just wondering if anybody has stayed in building 44, 43, 36, 37 (from what I can see I really like building 44 as it seems smaller and close enough to the pool area but also the bus stop)

4. What is/are your favorite things about OKW? What is your favorite things to do at this resort?

5. How long does the boat take from OKW to Disney Springs?

[*Also as a disclaimer I am looking at doing this trip five/six years (50 celebration of MK Time) from now hopefully in April/May-ish and renting DVC Points*]

Thank you so much I look forward to your answers! :thanks:

Up until the last 2 visits, we have always asked for Turtle pond area. We love the pool (quieter than the large one), with the ability for food and drink purchase and refill. Able to walk to HH in 10 minutes. Love OKW for lots of reasons: love to walk the trail, great boat ride to DS (approx 15 min), the Gurgling Suitcase is a great little bar, the music is fun, and I love that you don't feel like you are at Disney. Have fun planning.

Building / Room Recommendation please - Looked at map on Page 1, but unfortunately, map reading challenged :-(

- Never been to OKW before
- Booked in studio near HH area on points. 2 adults , 2 children (will have stroller)
- Not DVC owner. Using points from someone in family.
- Will have own car and using car for all parks except MK.

- Like to be close to main pool
- Side question - Is there laundry by main pool?
- Side question - Is being by the main pool noisy?
- Easy access to car outside our room if possible
- Is the studio layout in any particular building or location larger by square feet than another building? or possibly just "feel larger" due to room layout or extra windows?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Building / Room Recommendation please - Looked at map on Page 1, but unfortunately, map reading challenged :-(

- Never been to OKW before
- Booked in studio near HH area on points. 2 adults , 2 children (will have stroller)
- Not DVC owner. Using points from someone in family.
- Will have own car and using car for all parks except MK.

- Like to be close to main pool
- Side question - Is there laundry by main pool?
- Side question - Is being by the main pool noisy?
- Easy access to car outside our room if possible
- Is the studio layout in any particular building or location larger by square feet than another building? or possibly just "feel larger" due to room layout or extra windows?

Thank you.
If you have a studio in the Hospitality House area, you close to the main pool and there is a laundry room by each pool. There is parking right outside your villa. You will be in one of these buildings - 11-14, 23-26. 11-14 are right next to the HH parking lot. 23-26 are right across the bridge from the HH. All studios are pretty much the same. I don't recall that any of them are oddly shaped. They are usually located at the ends of each floor except in a few of the larger buildings that are U shaped. Then a studio is right in the U with no front door window, only the patio door for a window. Each studio has two queen sized beds and there is plenty of space in the villa. Every studio is connected to a one bedroom to make a lockoff two bedroom. If you find that your neighbors are noisy, just put a pillow between the two doors separating you from their one bedroom villa. You need to be aware that you will be hauling that stroller up and down the stairs unless you are in a first floor studio. there are no elevators in the HHarea villas. You might want to leave the stroller in the car and take it out when you need it.

We've found the main pool to generate noise throughout the resort with the pool games each day. That's my only complaint. They use a microphone and the music is over a speaker for the games. We've heard the party noise down at the Millers Road pool every day we were at that pool.

Thank you very much Deb & Bill. Just contacted my family member to ask him to request ground floor. No guarantee, we know. Thanks for heads up. Should we do online check in and request ground floor that way also? Or is a note on DVC reservation plus front desk check in better?

Is there a Sandy Beach by main pool? Should we bring sand toys or are there community toys to play with? Is pool Sandy bottom or regular rough bottom? What is height requirement for sand castle slide?

Being in a studio, are we allowed to use a crockpot? Want to save money on eating out. Have car to grocery shop . Is there an Aldis grocery store nearby?

Is it possible to request more pillows and towels at check in? Or would we need to pay?

Can we pay extra for room cleaning on a 7 day reservation? I think i read that only day 4 is only change towels? Could we pay to get room cleaned on say Day 3 and 5?

Are we allowed to participate in activities in Community Hall even though we are not the DVC member? Or do they require you to show DVC ID? Or DVC family will not be there.

Last edited:

Thank you very much Deb & Bill. Just contacted my family member to ask him to request ground floor. No guarantee, we know. Thanks for heads up. Should we do online check in and request ground floor that way also? Or is a note on DVC reservation plus front desk check in better?

Is there a Sandy Beach by main pool? Should we bring sand toys or are there community toys to play with? Is pool Sandy bottom or regular rough bottom? What is height requirement for sand castle slide?

Being in a studio, are we allowed to use a crockpot? Want to save money on eating out. Have car to grocery shop . Is there an Aldis grocery store nearby?

Is it possible to request more pillows and towels at check in? Or would we need to pay?

Can we pay extra for room cleaning on a 7 day reservation? I think i read that only day 4 is only change towels? Could we pay to get room cleaned on say Day 3 and 5?

Are we allowed to participate in activities in Community Hall even though we are not the DVC member? Or do they require you to show DVC ID? Or DVC family will not be there.
The pool is regular bottom. Only Stormalong Bay at BC/YC has a sand bottom. I don't think they like it if you use a crockpot in a studio because you don't have a real kitchen for cooking. Or real dishes for eating (just paper bowls, paper plates, plasticware). I've never seen an Aldis in Orlando. Just hit the Publix or Winn Dixie. They may allow extra pillows, but if you need extra towels (you'll get clean ones every four days), you'll need to buy a towel pack for about $6 (four bath towels, two hand towels, four face cloths - similar to what you'll have in the studio).

Housekeeping
Trash & Towel Service
For stays of seven or less nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day four, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:

•Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
•Provide fresh bathroom linens.
•Replace shampoo, facial soap and bath soap.
•Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
•Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.
•Replenish dishwashing liquid, dishwashing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent as needed in one-, two- and three-bedroom Vacation Homes.

Full Cleaning Service
For stays of eight or more nights, Full Cleaning Service is provided on day four and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day 12, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Full Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:

•Change the bed linens.
•Vacuum and dust the Vacation Home.
•Clean the bathroom(s).
•Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

Pay As You Play
With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities free of charge at the start of your stay. After that, you may purchase more for the following fees:

•Toiletries Package, $5.00 - 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
•Coffee Package, $3.00 - 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
•Towel Package, $6.00 - 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
•Laundry Detergent (only in One-, Two-, and Three-bedroom Vacation Homes), $1.00 - 1 box

Additional Full Cleaning Rates:

•Studio/Inn Room - $30.00 per day requested
•One-Bedroom - $45.00 per day requested
•Two-Bedroom - $60.00 per day requested
•Three-Bedroom - $75.00 per day requested

Additional Trash & Towel Rates:

•Studio/Inn Room - $15.00 per day requested
•One-Bedroom - $20.00 per day requested
•Two-Bedroom - $25.00 per day requested
•Three-Bedroom - $35.00 per day requested

Room Change Fees:
Room change fee will apply for Member requested room changes after check-in for a different view or room location.

•Deluxe Studio - $30
•One-Bedroom Villa - $45
•Two-Bedroom Villa - $60
•Three-Bedroom Grand Villa - $75

Note: Rates are subject to change

Next question. do all the ground floor studios in the HH area have roll in showers, not bath tubs?

With 2 little kids, we need a bath tub.

When looking at room find feature on another website, it appeared that the ground floor studios were all wheelchair accessible with roll in showers.

If that is case, would we need to ask for 2nd floor assuming that 2nd floor studios have tubs and just carry stroller up steps each night?

Thank you again.

Next question. do all the ground floor studios in the HH area have roll in showers, not bath tubs?

With 2 little kids, we need a bath tub.

When looking at room find feature on another website, it appeared that the ground floor studios were all wheelchair accessible with roll in showers.

If that is case, would we need to ask for 2nd floor assuming that 2nd floor studios have tubs and just carry stroller up steps each night?

Thank you again.
Not the case at all. In buildings without elevators (that means all the HHarea villas) the upper floors are not accessible villas. But not all the ground floor villas are accessible in the bathroom. Just a few.

Up until the last 2 visits, we have always asked for Turtle pond area. We love the pool (quieter than the large one), with the ability for food and drink purchase and refill. Able to walk to HH in 10 minutes. Love OKW for lots of reasons: love to walk the trail, great boat ride to DS (approx 15 min), the Gurgling Suitcase is a great little bar, the music is fun, and I love that you don't feel like you are at Disney. Have fun planning.
Thank you so much!

Has anyone stayed in ground floor Studio 2515 in Building 25 (HH area)?
The last thing you want to do is request a specific room number. If that villa is occupied when you check-in (and chances are pretty good it will be), the room assigner will have no clue WHY you asked for room 2515. Even asking for building 25 is risky. You are much better off asking for a range of buildings like 23-26 or a golf course view or something like that.

Has anyone stayed in ground floor Studio 2515 in Building 25 (HH area)?
That is one of the HH area villas across the bridge. You might just want to have your relative make that request. But don't make more than two requests. And your first one should be the most important. So put first floor studio first. Tub second.

We stayed at OKW for the first time this year! We did a split stay between Boardwalk and Old Key West and we loved it! Here is a video of the 1 bedroom villa we stayed in if anyone is interested. We also ate at Olivia's for the first time and absolutely loved it. Once the cast members found out our daughter's name was Olivia they went all out and the cast signed a menu for her and kept saying welcome home boss! Was so much fun!

We are OKW owners and have a HH reservation for the end of Dec in a 1-bedroom. But since making the reservation, I have decided that a separate bathroom entrance is more important than location. But I still would like HH area. I called member services yesterday and asked about the construction that is beginning soon, hoping that perhaps they were addressing the master bath entrance in the older buildings. I know this was a long shot, but you never know, stranger things have happened. I was told that it was a soft-goods refurbishment, so I asked why would this take a projected 18 months, she said perhaps it will end sooner. Does anyone have any additional information on the refurbishment that is scheduled to start soon?

We are OKW owners and have a HH reservation for the end of Dec in a 1-bedroom. But since making the reservation, I have decided that a separate bathroom entrance is more important than location. But I still would like HH area. I called member services yesterday and asked about the construction that is beginning soon, hoping that perhaps they were addressing the master bath entrance in the older buildings. I know this was a long shot, but you never know, stranger things have happened. I was told that it was a soft-goods refurbishment, so I asked why would this take a projected 18 months, she said perhaps it will end sooner. Does anyone have any additional information on the refurbishment that is scheduled to start soon?
At this point there isn't any information about the upcoming renovations. It used to be posted on the member website when you booked OKW. But all that is gone. At this point, there isn't anything that says there will even be renovations upcoming. So with an end of Dec booking in the HH area, I think you should plan on no door through the laundry room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter