Old news...But can we talk? Shrek was dreck!

My DH and I loved Shrek! Very interesting thread. It's great to see so many different opinions about the same topic.
Tiger :jester:

After Shrek & Emperor, I too, am a little worried about liking Monsters. That said I did like Toy Story pretty well, although it certainly was not my favorite and I thought TS2 was much better (odd)...

I want to reiterate that I don't mind the bathroom humor (not offensive), I just think this movie (Shrek) relied on it too much. I know an ogre isn't supposed to be aestetichically likable, but I never knew they farted - So why did they go there? And worse why was it so pervasive for the first hour?

The love story was ok...Good even, and Shrek & the Princess had their moments...But I maintain that Eddie Murphy was a 'been there, done that' at best.

I'm starting to wonder about the emphasis on new technology especially in lieu of a great story. Dinosaur was beautiful and they obviously went to great measures for that 'special effect', but without a great story how many of us really care...Same with Shrek (IMO) perhaps. Maybe I noticed the technology aspects more than I should have because I was so bored for the first hour.

Planogirl, please remember my "ignorant people" comment, which I'm sensing was a mistake, was only a conversation generator.
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

There's something here that I just don't understand. I sense a current of disliking ANYTHING put out by a studio not run by the little tyrant coming from some people.
This shouldn't be harder to understand than people liking ANYTHING Disney puts out regardless of quality. I saw some people on these boards actually raving that Atlantis was the movie of the summer and that everyone should rush right out and see it. The same poster hated Shrek (and probably anything non-Disney).

btw: I loved Shrek, liked Monsters, thought New Groove was OK and hated Atlantis! :)

btw, I loved Shrek, liked Monsters, thought New Groove was ok and hated Atlantis.
We haven't really discussed Atlantis a lot. I haven't seen it (remember I live in a small town) but I remember thinking the ads looked good. Obviously it couldn't have been great, so where did it drop the ball? Was the storyline lame? Was the animation bad? What made it worse than comparables?

I want to reiterate that I don't mind the bathroom humor (not offensive), I just think this movie (Shrek) relied on it too much. I know an ogre isn't supposed to be aestetichically likable, but I never knew they farted - So why did they go there?
What did you think they did...just fill up with gas until they exploded? :) I think they 'went there' because it seems to get a laugh out of about 90% of the population. Same with monsters...did we need to see Boo jumping up and down grabbing at her crotch in order to realize that kids have to pee? Did Mike need to take a shot in the groin to let us know that that's painful even for a little one-eyed green monster?
But I maintain that Eddie Murphy was a 'been there, done that' at best.
...and where does that leave Billy Crystal?!?

I took no offense Peter Pirate but I do enjoy poking a little fun at comments like those. Maybe I should have added a well placed ;) .

I thought as much Planogirl, I would think by now that my more obvious audacity would be transparent, but hey, we're talking about "ignorant people", right?;) ;) ;) - Lots of winks for that one (it's just a joke, my friends!!! Oh, when will I learn???).:D :D :D

johare, I haven't seen Monsters so if Billy Crystal is "old" then ok. But IMO, Eddie Murphy hasn't been funny for 20 years and his role basically reprises Mushu. If you think its funny thats totally ok with me. My favorite movie is Young Frankenstein and I know that doesn't float very many boats!

As fot Atlantis???

Now for the Duck..(and his 16 yo daughter).

She liked Shrek and wants to buy the DVD but liked Atlantis better. Thought the storyline was better. Laughed at New Groove and we bought it. Thought it was a nice change of pace from the musicals. As for musicals, she loves all the disney ones including Tarzan, has the CD's for them and sings the songs quite often. Very enjoyable to listen to but then again I am a biased father (however, somewhat objective since she sings in a regular chorus, a chamber choir and a show choir).

Now for me.. I like Shrek but was wowed by the animation in Atlantis and liked the characters much better than those in Shrek. I thought the pace of the movie was a little too fast. It seemed to be over when it just got started. New Groove was a laugh riot. Kronk was a real scene stealer. As for Tarzan and Hercules, each to their own taste. I liked both.

We have not yet seen Monsters, hope to go this weekend. Was in California the first week of November so missed out seeing it so far. But it looks good.

Not every Disney animation is great nor do I believe that all you need is the Disney name. But in most cases even the weakest Disney is better than other's best. Just IMHO.

johare, I haven't seen Monsters so if Billy Crystal is "old" then ok. But IMO, Eddie Murphy hasn't been funny for 20 years and his role basically reprises Mushu. If you think its funny thats totally ok with me. My favorite movie is Young Frankenstein and I know that doesn't float very many boats!
Billy Crystal is pretty much from the same generation as Eddie Murphy. I've always found Billy Crystal to be very annoying and like most of Eddy Murphy's work. btw: I can honestly say I've never seen Young Frankenstein...maybe I should check it out? :) Come to think of it, I've never seen Mulan either?!?

As for musicals, she loves all the disney ones including Tarzan, has the CD's for them and sings the songs quite often. Very enjoyable to listen to but then again I am a biased father (however, somewhat objective since she sings in a regular chorus, a chamber choir and a show choir).
One of our biggest complaints about Monsters is the lack of music. There is not a single song or note of music throughout the entire movie. Shrek on the other hand had a great soundtrack.

If the Dreamworks crew asked Murphy to "do Mushu" then they got their request. Donkey talks to himself frequently (like Mushu) searches for pitty (like Mushu) and goes over the top often (LM). There is very little to distinguish the approaches that Eddie took for the two characters. But, there's nothing really wrong with that, it works.

As for Crystal. It's awfully hard to call it "been there done that" when it's his first animated voice over.

Of course I think Kronk stole the show! I'm curious about "Empire in the Sun".....was this what Emperor was supposed to be?

Since I didn't see anyone else answer this....yes Emperor was supposed to be a dramatic Animated Flick called "Empire in the Sun". The story & the work was supposed to rival Lion King....but the time & budget ran out. The director quit / was forced out, and then Mark Dindral and another were brought in. The uprooted the original story, and made a cute, funny little toon out of it. I loved emperor but I also wonder what the Empire would have looked like.....AV care to enlighten us about what you know? I read the Hill series on it, but I'd love your opinion / insights.

It also baffles me that Emporer was basically ignored by Disney. If they were in such a hurry to release it, why not advertise it? If they weren't behind it 100%, why rush it and ruin what might have been? Mind Boggling.

We haven't really discussed Atlantis a lot. I haven't seen it (remember I live in a small town) but I remember thinking the ads looked good. Obviously it couldn't have been great, so where did it drop the ball? Was the storyline lame? Was the animation bad? What made it worse than comparables?

I saw Shrek, then a week or two later I saw Atlantis. I remember walking out of the theater with my then fiancee (Now Wife) and saying "Shrek and that movie's box offices should have been switched". I said this because I was blown away by the animation. I really liked it. But as I started to dwell on the story, I realized why Shrek was where it was, and Atlantis was where it fell.

My main problem was the story had ZERO time to develop. The found Atantis on the first stab. No failures. Just poped right into the cavern where it was. This is the same Atlantis people have been searching THOUSANDS of years to find...and BAM! There it is. Once the found Atlantis, a civilization lost to humans for THOUSANDS of years, and all of a sudden, Milo is speaking fluent Atlantian. And they speak english? Where did they learn English? Once Milo hits the city, the female heroin (her name escapes me) shows him their vehicles....the ones she's been trying THOUSANDS of years to start, and all Milo does is press a "button" and the thing starts.....the final "fight" scene is anti-climatic and the whole story just left me wondering what I watched. Everything was handed to Milo. He wasn't shown dealing with any failure or adversity. I think if they built the story correctly and combined it with the wonderful animation, they could have had a HUGE HIT....but they didn't. Disney really should have released Monsters in Atlantis' spot. There were NO family films relased during the summer (part of the reason in my opinion that Shrek lasted as long as it did)....and they could have double dipped into the profit well by releasing the DVD to Christmas shoppers.....and they could have kept a much better recieved movie from the Harry Potter juggernaught.

P.S. Shrek has really grown on me after watching it a million times with my son. I didn't think it was much after walking out of the theater. I thought it was OK....but nothing great. But let me tell you I missed a ton of the little things.....which I've picked up watching the DVD. And the Shrek Kareokee bit was HILARIOUS.

As for Tarzan and Hercules, each to their own taste. I liked both.

I don't believe I'm agreeing with Duck, but I LOVED both movies as well. I thought the story was solid in Herc....I loved the scene when he was singing and looking into the rising son....maybe it's me.

I loved Tarzan for a variety of reasons (mostly personal meanings), but the main one was the way the story was told and intertwined with Music. Characters didn't just start breaking into song.....but the songs were in my eyes a continuation of the storyline. Absolutly wonderfull movie. I hope more are made with the Tarzan formula.

But I maintain that Eddie Murphy was a 'been there, done that' at best

To each his own I guess. I really loved the Donkey. The times he broke into song was hilarious...and I could picture Murphy speaking the lines by looking at the donkey's facial expressions.....lots of priceless humor.

...and where does that leave Billy Crystal?!?

Again, I personally think Mike Wisowski stole the show in Monsters. He was hilarious and I think a good part of that was Billy Crystal's voice helping that along.

As for Crystal. It's awfully hard to call it "been there done that" when it's his first animated voice over.
Actually I wasn't refering to voice overs. I was refering to the fact that both actors seem to be past their prime. I still find Eddie Murphy to be funny though. Sounds like I'm going to have to go rent Mulan. When it came out my wife tooks the kids to see it while I was at work and I've never gotten around to seeing it.

I saw Shrek, then a week or two later I saw Atlantis. I remember walking out of the theater with my then fiancee and saying "Shrek and that movie's box offices should have been switched". I said this because I was blown away by the animation. I really liked it. But as I started to dwell on the story, I realized why Shrek was where it was, and Atlantis was where it fell
I just don't get this. We thought the animation in Atlantis was very poor. Had some neet 'digital effects', but the basic animation wasn't even up to Disney's usual quality levels.
I don't believe I'm agreeing with Duck, but I LOVED both movies as well. I thought the story was solid in Herc....I loved the scene when he was singing and looking into the rising son....maybe it's me.
I don't believe this either...I really liked both of those movies as well. Other than Toy Story 1 & 2, Tarzan is the only Disney animated film which I own on DVD (so far). We also really loved Hercules.
To each his own I guess. I really loved the Donkey. The times he broke into song was hilarious...and I could picture Murphy speaking the lines by looking at the donkey's facial expressions.....lots of priceless humor.
Donkey was great! I don't think the movie would have been the same without him.
Again, I personally think Mike Wisowski stole the show in Monsters. He was hilarious and I think a good part of that was Billy Crystal's voice helping that along.
Back to disagreeing here. Mike was funny at times, but mostly annoying. For a favorite character I'd have a hard time choosing between Boo and Sulley, though Sulley definately had the better voice acting! :)

Well, here's my list.

1. Shrek
2. Monsters
3. Emperor's New Groove
4 thru 997. Any cartoon that happens to be showing on Cartoon Network or Nick.
998. Atlantis
999. Osmosis Jones

:D :D :D

I didn't know that Disney with Mulan invented the wise cracking side kick. Wow now that is something new. Eddie Murphy is a comic genuis, The Nutty Professor and Dr Dollittle Movies were fantastic with him, What has Crystal done lately. I would like to see how Atlantis would have done if it was not Disney Branded. Most likely half of it's Box office take. Shrek was a well done movie with a small amount of "Potty Humor" but a lot of laughs. The Movie was good and we have watched the DVD several times now.

I didn't know that Disney with Mulan invented the wise cracking sidekick
I don't recall anyone saying they did. I said I had already seen/heard the same routine from Murphy in Mulan...
Shrek was a well done movie with a small amount of "potty" humor
I counted 16 jokes of the low brow genre. Most of them were in the first hour, so that seems rather abundant. Of course your tastes are different than mine and his & hers so it's all subjective & I respect that. I just found little else to go with the "potty" humor in the first hour...Which makes for me, the "well-done" label pretty lenient.
Eddy Murphy is a comic genius
I once liked him (Saturday Night Live), but I find little of what he's done since amusing. But then again this is subjectivity. Somebody out there thinks Pauly Shore is funny.

Man, johare, you really hated Atlantis! But opinions are really varying on this one, as well. Very interesting!

... and refrained from comment. But I can't let it go on!!!
I counted 16 jokes of the low brow genre.
Now I ask you. With all do respect. What kind of a guy sits in front of a TV, categorizes the content of an animated feature and then 'counts' the number of 'low brow' references?

PETER!!! Get a life!!! ;)

I didn't care for Eddie Murphy's character in Mulan, but I really liked that movie overall. I don't care for much of Murphy's acting, anyways. As I said, I really loved Emperor. I thought it was great.
With Atlantis... I thought the animation was amazing. There was just very little character development, and the storyline was a bit (read: very) rushed. Reminded me of Dinosaur, in a way. I did not like Dinosaur. There was absolutely NO character development at ALL.

Of course, this is from a guy whose top 10 list includes Hunchback... :D

Unfair LandBaron! With all of the talk about fart jokes preceding this movie and as slow as I found the first hour to be, I have to wonder how anybody didn't count the jokes???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter