Options for transport from DLR to San Diego

ZellyB

DIS Veteran
My husband has a conference in February in San Diego. We are thinking of coming in the weekend before and spending a few days at Disneyland before his conference begins mid-week. I'm not sure the best options for transportation from Anaheim to San Diego. Will an Uber driver take you that far? Some other private car service possibly? Or would just renting a car be our cheapest option. I made the drive in a rental from San Diego to Anaheim and back years ago on a family vacation but not sure if we could get any kind of decent pricing for a one-way car rental. I don't really think we'd have a need for a car once we are in San Diego but maybe we would want one and should just get one for the remainder of the trip... I'm just not sure on the best option.

I wouldn't risk taking Uber/Lyft. The driver can decide that the drive is too far and cancel on you when they get to you. It's one of the downsides of those services. The drivers don't know where you are going until they pick you up. I've had several people tell me that they drivers cancelled on them multiple times because of the distance.

The train is the best way to go if you are sure that you don't want a car. It's a very scenic ride and will drop you off right in downtown.

However, San Diego itself isn't that great to get around in without a car. If you plan on doing sightseeing, you may be better off just renting a car.

While mass transit is usually a mess in SoCal, there is a pretty efficient train that runs between Anaheim to San Diego pretty close to DL then it is just a quick Uber ride to the transportation center from resort area
I wouldn't risk taking Uber/Lyft. The driver can decide that the drive is too far and cancel on you when they get to you. It's one of the downsides of those services. The drivers don't know where you are going until they pick you up. I've had several people tell me that they drivers cancelled on them multiple times because of the distance.

The train is the best way to go if you are sure that you don't want a car. It's a very scenic ride and will drop you off right in downtown.

However, San Diego itself isn't that great to get around in without a car. If you plan on doing sightseeing, you may be better off just renting a car.

Thank you. I'd wondered about the possibility of a train and that sounds like a good option.

I'd also debated about just having a car in San Diego. We are staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego which looks like a great location, but I did wonder if we'd want a car for our time off to explore. Is there a lot to do in that general area that is walkable/Uber-able? We won't have tons of excess time in San Diego due to the conference, but our evenings will have some free time.

We are making this journey in the opposite direction, from San Diego to Disneyland after our cruise. We are taking amtrak. It's about 2.5 hours and is costing less than 200 dollars for four of us. And no dealing with traffic.

My son is in grad school in SD for spring break he and his fiancee came up to Disneyland. Uber to the train station, train to Anaheim then Uber to their hotel. Very easy and fun. Then you could rent a car in SD as a local and not get hosed with a one way drop off.

That said do check pricing on a one way car rental to see how it all pencils out financially.

I was in San Diego with my husband a year ago, staying at the Manchester Hyatt, and I took the train from the downtown San Diego train station to Anaheim, took a Lyft to Disneyland, and was in line by 8:25 am. I stayed the entire day, restracing my trip back to San Diego. It was a great trip, and easy. The train goes along the ocean (with some inland time too) from roughly La Jolla up to San Juan Capistrano. I did not want to drive. I would recommend booking a business class ticket, as this is guarantees you a seat on the train. I did take a Lyft from the Hyatt to the train station in San Diego. It was very early morning and I didn’t want to walk alone. That being said, having a car might be nice while you’re in San Diego, but if you’re only going to have the evenings, we were able to walk along the bay (which is right in front of the hotel) to dinner. There is a small shopping area nearby too. I would highly recommend going to see the Hotel Del Coronado if you have the chance while you’re there. It’s an absolutely beautiful hotel, in a charming area on Coronado Island, which will be right across the bridge from your hotel. If you have any questions, you can direct message me for me details.

We like to have a car in San Diego, but don't need one at Disneyland. If you decide to book a car rental, there is a car rental counter in Paradise Pier where you can pick up your car. If the hours of the counter don't work for you, then you could always Uber to SNA and pick up a car there. We have done that without any issues. We have found that a one way rental can be cheaper from SNA than the Disneyland counter- you just have to price them out. You can also take the train and rent a car in San Diego. We typically just fly in and out of SNA anyway as we like that airport. We typically stay north of San Diego in one of the smaller beach towns anyway and just drive into San Diego, and we also are usually leaving CA on a late afternoon flight, so it is not that big a deal for us to just drive a little father back to SNA. There are definitely lots of options for you.

You need a car in SD. Fly in and out of SNA so you aren't dealing with a one way rental.

Take the Amtrak Surfliner Disneyland-San Diego. As San Diego local, I don’t think it’s necessary to have a car. I only use my car to commute to and from work and occasionally drive to the Wild Animal Park or to north county beaches. We take Lyfts or public transit everywhere else. If you are staying at the Manchester and will only have off time in the evenings, you won’t need a car. You can take a ferry or Lyft if you want to go to Coronado. If you want to go out to dinner downtown, you can walk or call a FRED (Free Ride Everywhere Downtown). Otherwise, any sites near downtown are easily accessible by ride-share or public transit.

One more positive vote for the train between Anaheim & San Diego! Also a tip ... pack an adult beverage and time your train ride for sunset if possible.

Public transit is awful in San Diego (in my past experience anyways, unless it has improved since then). I would rent a car.

I have taken the train from San Diego to Anaheim and it was also nice.

You guys are great! Thank you. Sounds like there could be a few reasonable options for us so I'll talk those through with my husband. Thanks again so much!

After our Disneyland trip we rented from Avis in Anaheim. We drove to San Diego and was glad to have the car with us for our three days there.

The train is easy and will put you close to your hotel. It's a nice train ride as well once you cut over to the coast.

Driving might be cheaper - Sixt has nice one-way rentals and really nice cars. I'd also check the TeslaLoop which has the car driving on autopilot if you are not comfortable driving yourself. That said San Diego is really spread out and our public transportation is horrible. Renting a car is almost mandatory if you want to do any site seeing.

not sure if we could get any kind of decent pricing for a one-way car rental.

The only way to know is to run all the options.

I like the Alamo/National on Katella, personally.

And be sure to add up each options components. Don’t get a cheaper car from sna and not add in the cost to get to sna. Or gas costs. Etc.

Is there a lot to do in that general area that is walkable/Uber-able?

Yes.

A few evenings in downtown San Diego..:I cannot imagine what sort of sightseeing you might be doing that would require a rental car.

But maybe while researching it you’ll find some far flung things that make it worth it. (Remember to add in parking costs at the hotel and where you’re going!)

What about transportation from the disneyland resorts to the San Diego port?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter