Orbitz: also $25 cancel fee for onsite room reservations!

Still, when you save over a $100 or more on a trip, a $25 cancellation fee is not that bad. I have noticed though that you now have to call Orbitz (and yes, I keep getting India too) to get the number that you put into MDE to link your reservation.
The hotel reservation number on my Orbitz confirmation has been recognized by MDE - as recently as last week. No need to call Orbitz.

I booked & canceled with Orbitz earlier this week. I was not charged a $25 fee ... was very mindful of that possibility throughout the whole process.

They're still listing the $25 fee on the majority of official Walt Disney World hotels. A few of them are still showing Free Cancellation. So the fee has not gone away entirely.

FYI I was charged a $25 fee to cancel an onsite reservation a few days ago (6/2016). I had booked it on May 18, 2016. The confirmation (after I paid at Orbitz) did mention the $25 fee, and before I canceled it said my refund would be reduced by $25. (In contrast, the onsite reservation I booked 4/21/2016 doesn't mention any cancel fee on the confirm, and is in a different format - so guessing the corporate change took place between those dates, and previous bookings were kept cancel-fee-free.)
HTH!

Following...I was planning on book a room only 2 night stay thru Orbitz, but now i'm rethinking that!

I am also eating the $25 cancellation fee for a Pop reservation for July. Not too upset because I got a great AP rate at CSR through Disney, but it still bothers me if they are truly misrepresenting who is charging the $25. I notice they don't clearly say who is KEEPING the $25.

I am also eating the $25 cancellation fee for a Pop reservation for July. Not too upset because I got a great AP rate at CSR through Disney, but it still bothers me if they are truly misrepresenting who is charging the $25. I notice they don't clearly say who is KEEPING the $25.
They are. This is not a Disney thing.

After a fairly lengthy call to Orbitz this morning I was able to cancel my reservation with the "cancellation fee" waived. It went like this.

The agent went through the usual spiel, said there was a fee. I said, "No, Disney does not charge a fee". He went and checked with his supervisor, came back started processing the cancellation, and told me there was a fee". I said "No, go check with Disney". On hold again while he "contacted the property". Came back on, and said that the fee would be waived. Whatever. It worked. Still a shady business practice.

After a fairly lengthy call to Orbitz this morning I was able to cancel my reservation with the "cancellation fee" waived. It went like this.

The agent went through the usual spiel, said there was a fee. I said, "No, Disney does not charge a fee". He went and checked with his supervisor, came back started processing the cancellation, and told me there was a fee". I said "No, go check with Disney". On hold again while he "contacted the property". Came back on, and said that the fee would be waived. Whatever. It worked. Still a shady business practice.
Very shady.

I also was able to get the cancellation fee waived by calling. They told me it was Disney policy and I told them it wasn't. They called Disney and the fee was waived. Kind of a pain.

I booked through Orbitz with the intent to use a promo code and forgot to enter it at checkout. They couldn't apply it on the phone even after talking with a supervisor. I was able to get it cancelled now they are showing sold out for my date. Darn this has been a pain.

They can't - it is illegal, no matter what they say in their "terms and conditions". The problem - they have your CC number and they have your deposit. They will short your refund by $25 and you are going to have to sue to get that back.

That said - I don't blame them for charging this. If folks on this board are a representative sample, too many people book, then cancel and re-book, then cancel and re-book time and again. That costs these companies money.
Sorry to quote an old post.

If the company is acting contrary to its own written policy, your credit card company may be able to assist. You may not need to go as far as suing.

Resurrecting an old thread - I experienced this today after trying to book Beach Club in December. GONOW20 code is giving 20% off and the price changed from when I clicked YES to my confirmation page. But when I opened a new browser, the price was back down. Canceled the original reservation quickly (to use the code on a new reservation) and not only did the promo code NOT take on the final confirmation (though it showed on the form prior to me "complete booking") but the price had gone up. So I had 2 reservations cancelled and a $25 cancellation fee on each.

Called Orbitz and they called Disney to verify the cancellation fee and are crediting the amount back to my form of payment.

Frustrating that this is still happening, but pleased that I was able to get it resolved.

Resurrecting an old thread - I experienced this today after trying to book Beach Club in December. GONOW20 code is giving 20% off and the price changed from when I clicked YES to my confirmation page. But when I opened a new browser, the price was back down. Canceled the original reservation quickly (to use the code on a new reservation) and not only did the promo code NOT take on the final confirmation (though it showed on the form prior to me "complete booking") but the price had gone up. So I had 2 reservations cancelled and a $25 cancellation fee on each.

Called Orbitz and they called Disney to verify the cancellation fee and are crediting the amount back to my form of payment.

Frustrating that this is still happening, but pleased that I was able to get it resolved.

It's so ridiculous. I had a huge argument with the agent the last time they tried to do this to me. And that was after being on hold for about 30 minutes before they even answered the phone. I've pretty much given up on them.

Sounds as if you call them out on it, they might back down and refund it, since they know it's their policy to begin with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter