Orbitz: also $25 cancel fee for onsite room reservations!

The wording at Orbitz states that Disney itself is charging the fee, not Orbitz:
  • We understand that sometimes plans fall through. We do not charge a cancel or change fee. When the hotel charges such fees in accordance with its own policies, the cost will be passed on to you. Disney's Beach Club Resort charges the following cancellation and change fees.
  • Cancellations or changes made before 4:00 PM (Eastern Daylight Time (US & Canada)) on Jun 28, 2016 or no-shows are subject to a $25.00 hotel fee.
  • Cancellations or changes made after 4:00 PM (Eastern Daylight Time (US & Canada)) on Jun 28, 2016 or no-shows are subject to a hotel fee equal to the first night's rate plus taxes and fees.

They're incorrect. Disney is not charging a fee. This came up at the time Orbitz (and its sister site, Cheaptickets) was bought by Expedia. This is an Expedia thing and it is not being charged by Disney. Either it is an error or something Expedia does.

They're incorrect. Disney is not charging a fee. This came up at the time Orbitz (and its sister site, Cheaptickets) was bought by Expedia. This is an Expedia thing and it is not being charged by Disney. Either it is an error or something Expedia does.

This^^

I work in the reservations department in a big hotel in Vegas, and third party websites are the worst (Expedia being one of the top). They constantly have false information on their websites, and will often turn the tables so they won't be at fault for any reservations that were screwed up by them.

If you have any problems with your reservation, you would have to contact them directly (hotels are unable to change reservations booked through third parties) and a lot of times their customer service is HORRIBLE... People waiting on hold for hours to get to an agent etc.

great! Thanks for filling me in! (And I've actually had good luck calling Orbitz - which I have to do every single time I book Disney onsite b/c of them charging for kids.)

You may have had good luck calling Orbitz in the past, but things have already changed since Expedia bought them. I haven't had to call them so I don't know if that has changed.

Ya, orbitz is such BS now!! Unless you know that there is no chance what so ever in needing to change your plans, I would not book with them ever again. Such BS!

I first saw this on March 1 when I was charged $25 to cancel. I'd previously made a reservation on Feb. 26 and it still had free cancellation.

How can they post this Free Cancellation then?View attachment 156931
They can't - it is illegal, no matter what they say in their "terms and conditions". The problem - they have your CC number and they have your deposit. They will short your refund by $25 and you are going to have to sue to get that back.

That said - I don't blame them for charging this. If folks on this board are a representative sample, too many people book, then cancel and re-book, then cancel and re-book time and again. That costs these companies money.

FWIW Today I booked a split stay at Orbitz for July and the confirmation page - and the email confirm from Orbitz - for both onsite resorts say free cancellation, no charge until 5th day prior (same as Disney's policy). (I forgot to check as I was booking (if it said $25 fee) - sorry!)

Something has got to give on this at some point. When it says free cancellation, but they charge you? Orbitz needs to get a lot of bad press over this.

As far as I can tell, when they say "Free Cancellation" it really is free - there's no fee. When there's a fee, you don't see "Free Cancellation." It's really strange how the fee crops up sometimes and not others. I suspect that they may be A/B testing how much effect the fee has on bookings.

There also seems to be a switchover going on now between the old and new booking system (and I think the new one is a reskinned Expedia engine). If you get the new system, there's no incorrect upcharge for children. If you get the old system, there is an upcharge for children. It's really annoying.

Basically, if you don't see "free cancellation" on a Disney resort, try using a different browser or a different device. You might also try clearing your cached pages and cookies. I've seen situations where I see a fee on a specific booking, but my wife, sitting next to me on a different computer, sees free cancellation on the exact same booking.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, when they say "Free Cancellation" it really is free - there's no fee. When there's a fee, you don't see "Free Cancellation." It's really strange how the fee crops up sometimes and not others. I suspect that they may be A/B testing how much affect the fee has on bookings.

There also seems to be a switchover going on now between the old and new booking system (and I think the new one is a reskinned Expedia engine). If you get the new system, there's no incorrect upcharge for children. If you get the old system, there is an upcharge for children. It's really annoying.

Basically, if you don't see "free cancellation" on a Disney resort, try using a different browser or a different device. You might also try clearing your cached pages and cookies. I've seen situations where I see a fee on a specific booking, but my wife, sitting next to me on a different computer, sees free cancellation on the exact same booking.
Very interesting!

This^^

I work in the reservations department in a big hotel in Vegas, and third party websites are the worst (Expedia being one of the top)...If you have any problems with your reservation, you would have to contact them directly (hotels are unable to change reservations booked through third parties) and a lot of times their customer service is HORRIBLE... People waiting on hold for hours to get to an agent etc.

Yep. I had a bad experience with one of these sites after booking a flight with them. Terrible terms, terrible customer service- long wait times & agent was obviously in India (not Indian-American, instead actually foreign & not able to understand more than basic English). It was incredibly hard to even communicate. Never again.

Last edited:
Still, when you save over a $100 or more on a trip, a $25 cancellation fee is not that bad. I have noticed though that you now have to call Orbitz (and yes, I keep getting India too) to get the number that you put into MDE to link your reservation.

Still, when you save over a $100 or more on a trip, a $25 cancellation fee is not that bad. I have noticed though that you now have to call Orbitz (and yes, I keep getting India too) to get the number that you put into MDE to link your reservation.

In my mind a $25 cancellation fee is no big deal if I know about it beforehand. But I too would be upset if they wanted to charge me a cancellation fee after stating Free Cancellations.

Yes, I agree, if they state Free Cancellation then charge you. That's not good. But if I know about it up front, or even go back and look at my reservation and it is in the fine print and I just missed it, then not a big deal. Annoying that it has changed, but no biggie.

I have used Orbitz on several occasions to book room only reservations and had no problems what so ever. Saved quite a bit extra, but I will rethink using them in the future.

Orbitz was purchased by Expedia in September 2015. They are not the same company now. Anything you experienced in the past may have changed with the change in corporate ownership.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter