Our Dream "Full of Firsts" 13-Night EB Transatlantic (Portugal & Spain) Cruise + WDW ~ w/pics ~ May 2023 ~ Completed!

Thanks for reading!

I don't think the side of the ship really mattered. Sometimes we looked out over the port and sometimes we looked out over the harbor. Either way, you could always see the other side from another deck. I usually sail on the port side, but found I didn't mind the starboard side. I really enjoyed our starboard room when we left Lisbon because we could enjoy the sites without leaving our verandah. Otherwise there's not much to see when you're crossing the Atlantic. The only time I thought I would regret not having a port side room was when we passed through the Gibraltar Strait. I thought we would be able to see the Rock of Gibraltar, but we couldn't. So, seeing the lights of Africa was so much cooler.

It was more important to me to have a room without connecting doors.

We started booking our private excursions about 9 months out so we could ensure they had availability. If you're using DCL provided excursions, you can always look those up under Port Adventures in advance, but cannot book them until 105 days before your cruise.

Have a great cruise!
Awesome! Thanks for the info!! Looks like we are about 8 months out, so I need to get on booking tours! Thanks again!!

Awesome! Thanks for the info!! Looks like we are about 8 months out, so I need to get on booking tours! Thanks again!!
Also piggy backing on this, I know you travelled with DN who needed HA excursions, but was wondering if you looked into any of the DCL excursions that you thought would have been a good experience? (Please don’t take this offensively as that is not what I mean at all!! I am not intending to be insensitive by any means!!) I know you mentioned doing the Horse Farm excursion in Cartagena sounded like it would have been a better fit, so I was just curious about the others.

ETA: What I’m really trying to ask (sorry sometimes my brain takes a little longer to get across my point 🤦🏼‍♀️) did the DCL excursions sell out quickly and should I plan to book third party tours since we will only be gold?

Sorry! I have anxiety and I get inside my head too much and things come out as word garbage before I can sort it out properly in my head. 🫣

Last edited:
I really didn't look at the DCL excursions that closely because we knew we were going to book private tours for the things we wanted to see, although there were DCL excursions that did the exact same thing that we did on our own because we saw several DCL busses on our tours. I don't know how many are traveling with you so you really need to look at the costs of the private tours vs DCL. We usually have 5 or 6 of us on a tour, sometimes it is less expensive than DCL, sometimes not. If you want to book back up private tours, make sure you check the cancellation policies.

Sorry, I don't know if any of the DCL tours sold out.

I would prioritize what you really want to see and make sure to have back up tours picked, just in case. If excursions do sell out, just keep an eye on them as spots do tend to open up closer to sailing. Some tours are offered for both families and adults only, so if the adult only is sold out, you could possibly get on the family one.

I totally get agonizing over getting tours. I hope this helps a little.

I really didn't look at the DCL excursions that closely because we knew we were going to book private tours for the things we wanted to see, although there were DCL excursions that did the exact same thing that we did on our own because we saw several DCL busses on our tours. I don't know how many are traveling with you so you really need to look at the costs of the private tours vs DCL. We usually have 5 or 6 of us on a tour, sometimes it is less expensive than DCL, sometimes not. If you want to book back up private tours, make sure you check the cancellation policies.

Sorry, I don't know if any of the DCL tours sold out.

I would prioritize what you really want to see and make sure to have back up tours picked, just in case. If excursions do sell out, just keep an eye on them as spots do tend to open up closer to sailing. Some tours are offered for both families and adults only, so if the adult only is sold out, you could possibly get on the family one.

I totally get agonizing over getting tours. I hope this helps a little.
This did help! Thank you so much for your reply! It is only my Mom and me, so the private tours are quite hefty in our instance. But we have managed quite happily this far so, I have no doubt we will this time too! :) thank you again for your help and replies!!!

I'm doing my report now on our Hawaii to Vancouver cruise, which was only a few days shorter than yours. They had one day where they offered $25 for a fluff-and-fold service for up to 30 items. Did they not offer that on your cruise? I find the laundromats to be very stressful, as you described in your report. I enjoyed your report, since we'll be doing this cruise next May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter