Overcoming Solo Trip Jitters

YAS, HONEY! :teeth:

I find going to restaurants where you can sit at the bar to be less intimidating than a regular sit down restaurant. I've joked a few times to the wait staff that I'm a party of 1 because I have no friends. But yeah, solo trips are great for the reasons you mentioned.

Now that I’ve gotten used to eating in restaurants alone, I just use the extra seat to put my jacket and things. It’s amazing how much space one person can take :p :p

I traveled in my career solo across the country many times. On several trips, I would visit DLR and never gave any thought of being by myself. I live local to WDW and used to go solo quite a bit and have no shortage of self-confidence of what anyone else thinks.

It is almost impossible to try and give advice, especially when talking about a sometimes real, but oft times imagined situation without using the word YOU. In the context of what I wrote I was talking generally because it seems to be a big problem. Sorry, it is hard to make that clear without using the word one instead of you, but that seems very impersonal to me. What solo cost more are most obvious in cruise travel because they base their room rates on the assumption that there is more then one person in the room. However, a lot of the time the extra costs otherwise are made up for by half the cost or more to dine, half the cost or more for airfare, half the cost or more for admission prices, and other things. Hotels usually charge one charge for the room whether it's one person or four.

True enough. I generally only cruise when the lines are throwing in extras that make it worth it. I am a tad nervous about my next one, since it is in Asia. While I understand the cultures, I will only have a cursory understanding of the languages when traveling, which will make it difficult for me, at best. Nobody to fall back on to interpret for me.

True enough. I generally only cruise when the lines are throwing in extras that make it worth it. I am a tad nervous about my next one, since it is in Asia. While I understand the cultures, I will only have a cursory understanding of the languages when traveling, which will make it difficult for me, at best. Nobody to fall back on to interpret for me.
My last trip to Europe with my sister involved the two of us going to France, Italy and Spain, three languages that neither of us knew. Fortunately for us, Europeans are not as unable to learn other languages so they go with the universal one now, being English. We got along fine with just a few cursory words like hotel name, bathroom, please, thank you and restaurant. That covers everything one might need. Maybe hospital for a bonus one.

My last trip to Europe with my sister involved the two of us going to France, Italy and Spain, three languages that neither of us knew. Fortunately for us, Europeans are not as unable to learn other languages so they go with the universal one now, being English. We got along fine with just a few cursory words like hotel name, bathroom, please, thank you and restaurant. That covers everything one might need. Maybe hospital for a bonus one.

Works well in Europe, but in Asia mileage will vary by the city. At least I still have a bit of time, since it is not until December 2022.

Works well in Europe, but in Asia mileage will vary by the city. At least I still have a bit of time, since it is not until December 2022.
I guess it depends on what part of Asia you are going too. I think you will still find that most of the populations can, at least, speak partial English.

I guess it depends on what part of Asia you are going too. I think you will still find that most of the populations can, at least, speak partial English.

Japan, China, and Taiwan. I do have a habit of wanting to go off the beaten path somewhat though. Adventure traveler.

At the end of the day nobody cares if you go solo. There are huge advantages in having the freedom to go where you want, when you want. The bigger the group, the more time is wasted, waiting for people to wake up, meet up, eating, etc, etc unless you have a strong, fair leader.

I think it's actually pretty simple now compared to before the iphone because now a solo person could just bury their face in their phone while walking around or waiting in line or taking transpiration if they are self conscious of being solo or bored.

Well, people may know that you are alone, but the important part is not that they know, but do they care really. And if they do why do you care.

I think it can also be the other way around where the person in the group is actually envious of the solo person because they can do what they want, when they want and aren't stuck with boring company, or family, or kids or wife and are miserable. There's plenty of people who complain and whine when with groups or family, feeling that it's not a vacation, and they want to get away or be able to leave for a couple hours to watch a football game or something on the Boardwalk.

Kind of the grass is always greener.
So human nature is funny.

Your grandpa left you a wonderful legacy and example. I can’t honestly say that I’m comfortable in every situation as a solo, but am most of the time. I have to wonder how many people sit at home in misery because they want to go somewhere and none of their family or friends want to join them. To me, this is far worse than going somewhere alone. I traveled solo occasionally at work and would sometimes mention to the boss that a coworker might want to attend a work conference, trying to give her the opportunity for some travel also. Although my coworker was very outgoing and popular, she told me she could never travel alone like I did; she needed someone with her. If anyone even notices me, I might look pitiable, but I think it is much sadder for someone to miss out on opportunities out of self-consciousness.

On both of my last trips I had a couple of hours alone (once in Epcot, once HS) and it was an amazing feeling! My kids are older teens and were more worried about leaving me and me being alone than I was!! No one looked at me funny. No one even noticed me, I'm sure. After chatting nonstop and trying to plan for the enjoyment of others, it was nice to take a break and be quiet and by myself (in crowds of thousands!)
Next trip is just me and my DH, but I can see a solo trip sometime in my future....

I'm doing my second solo trip soon, and similar to what was said above, I got a couple very interesting seats at restaurants because one person is easier to seat than multiple - at Jiko I got to sit right at the bar where a lot of the appetizers and small plates were made, they were cooking it right in front of me! I had an amazing time chatting with the chefs, and they gave me a bunch of small freebies to nibble on. Solo at Disney is wonderful, especially if you've been before and know your way around. And truly no one cares if you're alone, I'm not certain anyone else takes the time to notice who is alone and who isn't.

Bottom line, if anyone is on the fence about whether to go solo, DO IT. I will bet serious money that you will never regret it.

I'm doing my second solo trip soon, and similar to what was said above, I got a couple very interesting seats at restaurants because one person is easier to seat than multiple - at Jiko I got to sit right at the bar where a lot of the appetizers and small plates were made, they were cooking it right in front of me! I had an amazing time chatting with the chefs, and they gave me a bunch of small freebies to nibble on. Solo at Disney is wonderful, especially if you've been before and know your way around. And truly no one cares if you're alone, I'm not certain anyone else takes the time to notice who is alone and who isn't.

Bottom line, if anyone is on the fence about whether to go solo, DO IT. I will bet serious money that you will never regret it.

I was at Epcot on Friday and decided to eat at Coral Reef. They sat me in one of those booths that seat like 5-6 people. You gotta know that I just planted my hind end right smack dab in the middle of the thing so I could have a view of the aquarium. I really didn't care who noticed. I was too busy watching the fish and enjoying my meal. It was awesome.

This thread is nearly two years old, but a delight to read. I'm older than those of you who posted, but I recently lost my husband. For 50 years we've been travel companions. I live locally and was wondering about being alone in the parks and dining. I haven't eaten a restaurant meal alone since I travelled for work 25 years ago.

You all gave me hope that I can still have a good time in our happy place. Thank you.

This thread is nearly two years old, but a delight to read. I'm older than those of you who posted, but I recently lost my husband. For 50 years we've been travel companions. I live locally and was wondering about being alone in the parks and dining. I haven't eaten a restaurant meal alone since I travelled for work 25 years ago.

You all gave me hope that I can still have a good time in our happy place. Thank you.
I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you gradually find new ways to enjoy Disney.
About eating alone-I usually keep a small paperback in my bag. Sometimes it's nice to be able to read a bit while I'm enjoying a solo meal.

I haven't really traveled alone, but I got very comfortable just doing things solo in my late 20's. My friends were all busy being married and having babies, and I was still single. I got tired of just sitting around doing nothing so I started going out on my own. I went to movies alone, I'd go out for dinner alone, check out nearby towns/events alone. And something that intimidated me at first eventually became something that I genuinely enjoyed. There is something really freeing about just going where you want, doing what you want, when you want. Everything on your own terms. I was actually gearing up for a solo trip RIGHT before I met my husband, and it never materialized (shocker, we booked a trip to WDW together instead 😂 ). And now I'm married with my own kids, and while I love our family vacations, a solo Disney trip sounds amazing.

So sorry for your lost. Just make your ADRs for 2 since system doesn’t like odd numbers. Going solo for a week at WDW/Universal on Saturday. Most people are concerned with their vacation not judging a solo traveler. I found that most people are happy to talk Disney with you.

Last edited:
I think people get nervous because they either think it’s just for families(Disney’s fault there), or because they are so used to seeing things aimed at couples or families. It’s almost a stigma in our society to be single, especially past 30.
Personally, I'm afraid I'm going to get horribly lonely mid-trip & be faced with several days to go. That just seems like a miserable way to go! I jave done single days at Disneyland & was pretty much fine, but WDW is a multi-day trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter