Overcoming Solo Trip Jitters

I'm doing my second solo trip soon, and similar to what was said above, I got a couple very interesting seats at restaurants because one person is easier to seat than multiple - at Jiko I got to sit right at the bar where a lot of the appetizers and small plates were made, they were cooking it right in front of me! I had an amazing time chatting with the chefs, and they gave me a bunch of small freebies to nibble on. Solo at Disney is wonderful, especially if you've been before and know your way around. And truly no one cares if you're alone, I'm not certain anyone else takes the time to notice who is alone and who isn't.

Bottom line, if anyone is on the fence about whether to go solo, DO IT. I will bet serious money that you will never regret it.
I was in Tokyo on business once. It was a last-minute thing, so I didn't even get the chance to learn a few phrases & read up on culture. I ate alone, shopped alone, joined a city tour alone (was adopted by a young boy in our tour group!), got lost alone, found my way back alone, etc. What an adventure!

And the sweetest part was that every morning, the staff in the hotel restaurant sat me facing a window so I could have something to do while I ate. I had brought a journal & wrote & ate & people-watched. I did just fine, thank you very much! And met some amazing people, some of whom spoke English & many of whom did not.

Personally, I'm afraid I'm going to get horribly lonely mid-trip & be faced with several days to go. That just seems like a miserable way to go! I jave done single days at Disneyland & was pretty much fine, but WDW is a multi-day trip.
I think maybe if you try considering each day as a "single day" it can work out. The thing about WDW is even if you're alone, you're never REALLY alone.
I went to Disney Springs today just to see what it would be like for me to take a walk and browse a couple of stores. I got through it and then drove over to Portillo's for a strawberry shake on the way back home. Baby steps. I'm kind of dreading the first time I use DVC, but I think I'll hold off on that until autumn. But the Garden Rocks concerts are something that I think I'm going to have force myself to do.

Thank you all for your encouragement and condolences. It means a lot to me.

I think maybe if you try considering each day as a "single day" it can work out. The thing about WDW is even if you're alone, you're never REALLY alone.
I went to Disney Springs today just to see what it would be like for me to take a walk and browse a couple of stores. I got through it and then drove over to Portillo's for a strawberry shake on the way back home. Baby steps. I'm kind of dreading the first time I use DVC, but I think I'll hold off on that until autumn. But the Garden Rocks concerts are something that I think I'm going to have force myself to do.

Thank you all for your encouragement and condolences. It means a lot to me.
You might have a point. I remember being at Downtown Disney once & there was a woman fighting back tears while she sat looking dejected by a potted tree. I took her quite by surprise by saying, "I'm sorry, but I don't think crying is allowed at WDW -- would you like a tissue?" It made her laugh & she revealed that she was there for the cheer competition & was just exhausted. She thought she was alone & I showed she wasn't. If she had actually wanted to be alone, she would have just brushed me off, but she engaged me in conversation & I like to think I made her feel a little better -- she told me I did, anyway!

I went to Epcot this afternoon as a "baby steps" test. The Festival of the Arts closes tomorrow, so I thought why not? I was only there a couple of hours. Enough to have a good walk, browse in a couple of shops, look at some of the festival art, eat a delicious piece of cake and enjoy the sidewalk art. I made it through without a meltdown, mostly because I didn't really talk to anyone. You all helped me. Much appreciated. First Garden Rocks concert (singer from Journey) is on the 3rd. I'm definitely going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter