Overheard at HHI this morning.....

LJC1861

DIS Veteran<br><font color=teal>Suffers from a Tag
It was a dark rainy morning here on HHI today. Lisa and I were going to do the Pinckney Island Wildlife tour, but opted out due to the rain. After awhile it stopped, and I went for a walk around the resort.

As I walked past the recreation/rental booth, Jase was on the phone. I heard him say to someone on the other end....."Ma'am, we can't help it that it rains sometimes here, and things have to be cancelled." I am sure he did not realize it but he rolled his eyes when he did it. It made me smile. I suppose that people still think that because it is a Disney resort, that they can somehow control the weather so things do not have to be cancelled.

Linda

Some people want a magical stay and pixiedust: even if it is raining. Some people can not even accept that a little rain must come.

Some people want a magical stay and pixiedust: even if it is raining. Some people can not even access that a little rain must come.

We were at MK on Monday and it rained all day from lunch until about 8 pm. I have to admit, I was impressed with how Disney handled the cancellation of the 3 pm Celebrate parade. It was announced that it was cancelled. However, they sent out a "Rainy Day Cavalcade." Some of the characters were in open automobiles waving to the crowd. Performers walked with umbrellas singing "rain" songs (like "Singin in the Rain) and some characters walked and shook the hands of the children. It was a really nice way to handle the weather and disappointment of the cancelled parade.

I worked in customer service for many years. I don't think I could any more. People have changed to the point they have no "common sense" and expect that if anything goes wrong, like a light shower or a momentary internet outage their entire trip is ruined. I've always looked at travel as an adventure, you have to be able to adapt because something relatively minor and unexpected WILL happen, it is the nature of life itself. I went on a Carnival cruise a week ago with 9 friends. One of my friends lost his "sail n sign" card and we had to go to guest services to get it replaced. Some of the people in line were complaining about the most ridiculous things, you just had to shake your head. Somehow people have thought the louder you scream, even about the most stupid stuff, the more freebies you'll get. Entitlement at its worst.

I worked in customer service for many years. I don't think I could any more. People have changed to the point they have no "common sense" and expect that if anything goes wrong, like a light shower or a momentary internet outage their entire trip is ruined. I've always looked at travel as an adventure, you have to be able to adapt because something relatively minor and unexpected WILL happen, it is the nature of life itself. I went on a Carnival cruise a week ago with 9 friends. One of my friends lost his "sail n sign" card and we had to go to guest services to get it replaced. Some of the people in line were complaining about the most ridiculous things, you just had to shake your head. Somehow people have thought the louder you scream, even about the most stupid stuff, the more freebies you'll get. Entitlement at its worst.
Or loss of animals on a savannah or move from BWV to BCV due to maint or a pool closure for maint, etc. I understand being disappointed but not truly upset like we've seen here many times. Of course each situation has to be evaluated separately to judge it's reasonableness but we've seen some pretty petty posts over the years.

The sense of entitlement isn't just at Disney. I was just in Iceland and did a day tour of some of the sights. The company owner himself ended up having to drive me back to my hotel because his driver fell ill, so I got to listen to him field calls from customers and potential customers as he drove. One lady, who was booked that night for a Northern Lights tour, was calling to see if she could get her money refunded if they didn't see the Northern Lights, and when he said no, as it still costs him to run the tour even if the Lights are shy that night, she said, "Well, you know I'm paying a lot of money for this tour so I can see the Northern Lights." Um, OK. Like this guy has any control over how cloudy it was that night. He said that he dealt with that a lot from people on his tours...not really understanding/appreciating that you don't just come to Iceland and automatically see vivid Northern Lights, especially in September, when winter is just beginning and when it's relatively uncommon to spot them anyway.

ETA: He did tell me that while he can't offer refunds, what he does do is issue his customers a voucher for a free repeat tour at any time in the future if they don't see the Northern Lights, which I thought was more than accommodating.

DisneyStarWisher said:
Hey, Linda. Have you eaten at Dye's yet?

Yes we have! In fact, she fed us all week! My partner Lisa does her website, fliers and other stuff and in exchange she feed us. Pretty sweet deal. Her new space is very close to the resort... In the Atrium building which is just past the HH Diner. Her food is awesome as always and she is SOOOO much happier!

Yes we have! In fact, she fed us all week! My partner Lisa does her website, fliers and other stuff and in exchange she feed us. Pretty sweet deal. Her new space is very close to the resort... In the Atrium building which is just past the HH Diner. Her food is awesome as always and she is SOOOO much happier!

Yes, I wasn't sure if you remembered us writing back and forth about her. My family was at HHI in June, and we ate at her new location then. It was much nicer. I'm jealous that you are getting to enjoy her delicious food all week. You've got to be in heaven! I think what we have decided to do next time though instead of the lunch buffet is to get a bunch of her meals to go and eat at the resort for lunch all week. That way we can get several days worth instead of just one day! You can't ever get enough!!! Glad to hear you are having a great trip (even if the weather can't be control.) :goodvibes

The sense of entitlement isn't just at Disney.
Certainly not, however, I think it's particularly common with Disney, esp DVC. There seems to be something about the high Disney expectations combined with the money paid for DVC that brings out the worst in some that wouldn't exhibit such behavior otherwise.

Yes, I wasn't sure if you remembered us writing back and forth about her. My family was at HHI in June, and we ate at her new location then. It was much nicer. I'm jealous that you are getting to enjoy her delicious food all week. You've got to be in heaven! I think what we have decided to do next time though instead of the lunch buffet is to get a bunch of her meals to go and eat at the resort for lunch all week. That way we can get several days worth instead of just one day! You can't ever get enough!!! Glad to hear you are having a great trip (even if the weather can't be control.) :goodvibes

Now that you reminded me, yes I do remember us writing back and forth. She does to go orders of most, if not all of her food. Check out the website for more info on that. I am glad you liked the new location. It really IS so much nicer than the old one, and she is just so happy there. We were shocked, in a good way when we saw Dye for the first time since the move....she looked years younger with no stress in her face. She is now closed several evenings each week and taking more time for herself. It shows. She says that since she moved she is not nearly as "stresserated" as she was!

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter