Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I could see the argument if I was paying to stay at a deluxe. Why should deluxe pay more than value when parking isn't a premium and its the same asphalt.

If they are going by supply and demand though doesn't the deluxe resorts have less parking spaces available then the values?

As a shareholder though do you feel this is a good move to make more money or do you feel this could hurt your stake? Would you consider getting rid of your Disney stock because of it?

so this act alone, no - I get the motivation from Disney's standpoint

It is more things when I think individual guests with individual needs aren't being cared for that get me going - big thing is when they change things with no notice and tell the guests that have already booked/paid/etc to suck it up, so the fact they are grandfathering in existing reservations makes me less upset by this.

I suppose, but what I would be curious about is the statistics around people who drive vs. fly to Disney. I could be wrong, but I would think that between locals, weekenders (like us who live in state but aren't truly local), and long-distance road-trippers, Disney has a larger percentage of driving vacationers than many other destinations.

And even being drivers by necessity - since the 2 1/2 hour trip wouldn't benefit us to fly - we still tend to stay entirely in the bubble when onsite. If anything, all of these upcharges start making Disney feel less "all-inclusive" for us and have us considering branching out with more trips to Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Universal, etc.

We live 9.5 hrs away and most trips we drive it bc I don't want to pay $600-900 to fly my family of 3 (plus drive an hour and 15 mins to airport from house). Now it looks like I need to re-evaluate savings depending on length of trip. The parking pricing is tiered by resort category, and we've been staying deluxe lately.

Wondering how going to Universal is going to work for the folks threatening that. $20+/night parking fee at the on property Loews hotels at Universal + tickets to Universal are about the same cost as WDW. I feel like this argument is like saying you're going to take American Airlines because you're mad that United implemented baggage fees, when AA charges the same fees.

I do think this is a dumb move on Disney's part, because it's one of the things that set Disney resorts apart from other area resorts. It's like Southwest not charging baggage fees, or like Disney Cruises not charging for soda. The little things really can make a difference in guest happiness.

I don't drive at WDW, so this doesn't affect me, but it still upsets me. I could see the nickel-and-diming firsthand last week with maintenance issues (particularly at MK with Splash Mountain and other rides) and obvious decreases of capacity and staffing. Them adding new upcharge events seemingly monthly (some of which are fine, some of which are complete ripoffs) and now this is really starting to sour me. I was already contemplating maybe going to Universal for the first time since I was a little child, as I feel I've grown a little tired of WDW, and this just pushes me that way even further.

It seems to me that this is very much in line with WDW's attempt to push returning guests toward DVC. They haven't opened a deluxe resort since AKL, but they're adding more DVC capacity almost annually, even at the cost of removing resort hotel capacity (at WL and CBR). Now they'll be able to market parking as one more way that you can save by buying DVC vs. staying in a regular resort hotel.

When I read this the light went off for me. I think it is this 100%

DVC is apparently more profitable than the regular resort hotels, judging by a number of factors (including resort construction). So it makes fiscal sense for them to push returning visitors toward DVC. It just seems that the guests getting squeezed are those in between - the return visitors who aren't willing or able to buy into DVC. And that's a shame - I'd much prefer Disney to cater to as many guests as possible, and to return to the "good old days" when WDW vacations were merely expensive, not exorbitant. I don't mind that there are upcharges for those willing and able to pay for them, but those shouldn't exist at the expense of "regular" guests.

This too! I realized it is going to affect people like MaxRebo, families that are very involved and and visit regularly, but can't afford to invest in DVC (not making assumptions about your finical situation. I just know you are a nut, but don't not DVC) Seeing the extra cost might encourage them to make the leap. But since they are in that "squeeze" level not only are they going to buy DVC but they are going to have to use the loan service Disney offers and make even more money on the interest charged. Double whammy.

I consider myself very lucky that I bought DVC through the resale market just days before they changed the membership qualifications, so we are grandfathered in.

I'm still bothered by this even though it won't affect me, and will add to the number of people that that are complaining about it to Disney.

Man the pages are pilling up fast, it took forever for me to get to the end to post and I feel there will be two more pages added on once I do hit post reply

Angry on principle, on behalf of others? As DVC you won't pay.

I'd guess a fair amount of DVC owners go more than just their allotted points. I'd also guess most of those trips don't involve DVC Villas. As such, even a DVC member gets charged for on-site resort parking.

DVC members aren't immune unless they are only going on points (or shelling out huge bucks anyway).

It seems obvious to me the next increase this year will be for ME...to get everyone who shows up to pay a rate increase...

Something like "enjoy a magical ride for your whole family from the airport to your resort for only $29/stay"...
Yes, I think I remember reading back in 2011 that Disney negotiated free ME and who knows how long the negotiation in years were. They charge for a ride out to the Cruise ship, you can bet the next charge for ME is next.

I am not surprised by the Parking Resort fee's. There are not to many resorts in Orlando, where you do not pay to park. At my dh conference, it used to be that we had to use Valet to park our cars on top of parking fee's. They finally lifted the Valet and we can park our own vehicles. After 4 days, we paid $20 a day plus at least $20 in valet service, so at least we cut that expense in half.

I wonder what kind of system they are going to use. At the convention area that we stay at The Ritz we get a key card when we arrive. We keep that card to come and go and at the end of the stay we are charged per day. At Disney when we check in with our car, we get a piece of paper and we put it in the dash. When we went to other resorts, they checked our MagicBand and at the parks we would drive up and they looked at our piece of paper in the window and you were waved thru. I will admit I did go back to the parks after we checked out and I was never stopped to pay for more parking in the parks as long as I had that piece of paper in my window. I guess I could of been towed from the parks, but it never happened.

I could see the argument if I was paying to stay at a deluxe. Why should deluxe pay more than value when parking isn't a premium and its the same asphalt.

The nightly charge to add a 3rd adult to a room reservation is greater at a Deluxe than a Value. Still just a space in a bed. But the Deluxe resort guest gets to use the pool etc at a Deluxe. Maybe the argument for greater parking charge at a Deluxe can be looked at as that same piece of asphalt is closer to parks and deluxe features.

The nightly charge to add a 3rd adult to a room reservation is greater at a Deluxe than a Value. Still just a space in a bed. But the Deluxe resort guest gets to use the pool etc at a Deluxe. Maybe the argument for greater parking charge at a Deluxe can be looked at as that same piece of asphalt is closer to parks and deluxe features.
Very true. Deluxe obviously has more than values.

Very true. Deluxe obviously has more than values.
Right but Deluxe resorts already cost more per night for those features...so parking being more seems like a double-whammy.

I'd guess a fair amount of DVC owners go more than just their allotted points. I'd also guess most of those trips don't involve DVC Villas. As such, even a DVC member gets charged for on-site resort parking.

DVC members aren't immune unless they are only going on points (or shelling out huge bucks anyway).
So you mean when a DVC member stays in a NON-DVC room category AND pays CASH? Got it. So like when I as a DVC member paid cash to stay 2 nights at Contemporary with my daughter for Christmas. This is the only time this has happened for our family in 22 trips over 12ish years.

Wonder how many DVC members have stays of that type, and more importantly, how many of them will now NOT book those trips? Appears that Disney isn't worried about that.

related question - I see it specifically says "Members" will not be charged. What about for people that rent DVC points? I assume they would still be charged?

Looks like you can rent DVC points and avoid the parking fee. I'm sure they will close that loophole soon.

Locked out logic would be going nuts on this move I think

Right but Deluxe resorts already cost more per night for those features...so parking being more seems like a double-whammy.
This is a good point. However, playing devil's advocate, Hilton hotels has chains from the economical Hampton Inn to the Waldorf Astoria and Conrad luxury brands. At Hampton Inn, parking, wi-fi, breakfast, and keurigs are standard as part of the room rate. At Waldorf, none of those things are free, generally, or there is a hefty resort fee that includes those items. I think Disney is just following the industry standard when looking at its most economical vs more expensive resorts. (again, not saying I agree with their move to charge parking, but this is, unfortunately, something that happens in this industry.

That is me. If I have to tack on 34/day go park I’d reconsider going even with as much as I like my rundisney races.
Disney has announced it on their TA news site. It is $13/night value, $19 moderate, andd $24 deluxe.

This is a good point. However, playing devil's advocate, Hilton hotels has chains from the economical Hampton Inn to the Waldorf Astoria and Conrad luxury brands. At Hampton Inn, parking, wi-fi, breakfast, and keurigs are standard as part of the room rate. At Waldorf, none of those things are free, generally, or there is a hefty resort fee that includes those items. I think Disney is just following the industry standard when looking at its most economical vs more expensive resorts. (again, not saying I agree with their move to charge parking, but this is, unfortunately, something that happens in this industry.
That is definitely true...I get why they're doing it ($$$$$) but I definitely don't like it. And it's really hard to compare most Disney deluxe resorts to a place like the Waldorf Astoria...

Just means that we'll likely not stay deluxe in the future, which for us means looking at off-site stays. :confused3

That is definitely true...I get why they're doing it ($$$$$) but I definitely don't like it. And it's really hard to compare most Disney deluxe resorts to a place like the Waldorf Astoria...

Just means that we'll likely not stay deluxe in the future, which for us means looking at off-site stays. :confused3
Exactly....like the Waldorf Orlando for us!!! :)

This doesn't affect me as a DVC member, but I'm furious. I emailed them feedback. And as someone noted, I emphasized that we are DVC, annual passholders, about to hit gold on the cruise, and shareholders. I told them I was disappointed they would nickel and dime their guests in this manner and listed out why I felt this decision is unfortunate and distasteful. Won't do any good, but made me feel just a smidge better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter