• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Parenting advice

amberpi

DIS Veteran
Anyone have/had a toddler who hides things? The boy (almost 3) and the smartest kid I've ever been around, LOVES to hide stuff. His sister's ballet clothes, shoes in a largely unused kitchen cabinet, a good hoodie under the rug...the list goes on and on. He thinks it's hysterical. We wouldn't mind quite so much but we're supposed to return the kid's belongings to their mom. Kinda hard to do when you're not looking for a leotard behind the kid's toilet. Anyone gone through this? He thinks it's SO funny, and he is really funny, but sometimes the kid needs his jacket and we need to return his mother her things. TIA. They are great kids, but man, this one is wearing us out.

I would suggest playing this hiding game with him using items that do not have to be returned to the mom. He'll eventually move on to something else. If you engage it first he might not do it later. Just an idea.

My kid hid her own things from herself. lol.

Good idea. We'll try this tonight in fact. He thinks its a riot! The other day the kid hid the pants I had JUST ironed to go to the pumpkin patch - he's an equal opportunity hider, and does it when no one is looking. The little, darling, sneak!

My honorary nephew does the same thing. (He's 3.) I've heard it's a pretty normal phase. - They're looking for any way to be "in charge" at that age. (Though I personally think, in his case, someone laughed at it, and made it worse. - So keep trying not to laugh!)

P.S. - Wait until he hides things that are supposed to be refrigerated or frozen...in places that aren't cold.

My honorary nephew does the same thing. (He's 3.) I've heard it's a pretty normal phase. - They're looking for any way to be "in charge" at that age. (Though I personally think, in his case, someone laughed at it, and made it worse. - So keep trying not to laugh!)

P.S. - Wait until he hides things that are supposed to be refrigerated or frozen...in places that aren't cold.

Oh Lord! I can see him hiding cheese in particular, although his daddy tries to keep him out of the fridge. I'd be more likely to find his jacket in the vegetable crisper! And yes, at first we thought it was his older sister or were generally confused and then laughed. Now we know, and it's just getting worse. It's hard outsmarting this kid.

Totally normal. DD9 did it at age 2/3 years old. She loved the hunt of "finding" things too.:magnify: Fortunately she never hid food. :crazy2:

My goddaughter does this. And she doesn't remember do it.

So when you can't find her Tervis sippy, she is "looking" for it, just like you are. And when you find it. She is like, Ha ha, I put it there. :rotfl2:

Wait, you ironed his pants to go to the pumpkin patch? Who is he, Alex P. Keaton?

I was seeing my MIL for brunch and pumpkin patch, and she's super critical so yep, I sure did iron his clothes and made sure my DH had extra starch. Anything that is above reproach is worth the effort...usually. I make enough mistakes as it is despite trying my absolute hardest:(

This brought back a memory of my then 3 1/2 yo DD...we were in a hotel room, I was finishing some work on my computer. I had taken my wedding ring off and set it on the nightstand next to me as it kept slipping as I was typing. I went to the bathroom and when I came out, DD was joyous that she hid my ring and I needed to find it. I started looking for it frantically and she refused to give me hints. Then she went over by the window that was cracked open an inch and started jumping up and down excited about this game. My heart was beating out of my chest when I realized that she likely hid it “outside”...but then I found it in the corner under the armchair. After that day, I taught her (a) don’t play with my ring and (b) how to play hotter/colder, so she help me find things!

I so miss that age. My jokester is now 21 and 5 hours away at college. But he's our most easy going kid of 4.

At 3, he was forever telling 'punny' jokes. Couldn't say his 'f's. But he did tell punny jokes to make you think, too. And at 3, he made jokes up that made no sense, too.

I told him as he left for college I wanted him to text me a joke a day. He's now too busy and we only get a joke when he's home.

I hope your little fella always keeps you laughing, too.

The one thing he hid that he wanted back was his nickel. When we asked where he hid it, he pointed down his throat. ER trip, xray and a popsicle later, we discovered it was a quarter and we never saw it again!

Have you tried talking to him about how you love how fun and funny he but it isn't nice to hide something that doesn't belong to him? I know he's 3 but if he's really smart he should be able to catch on. Or say if the pants can't be found I guess there won't be a trip to the pumpkin patch. I know I sound mean. I just found it easier to stop inappropriate behavior right away rather than hoping my daughter would grow out of it. She's 19 and in college so I guess I didn't damage her too badly.

You could add to it and teach him to play “Hot and Cold” so when looking for something, he actually helps you find it. I know my DD loved that game around that age. It does take a while for the. To understand the game, but it is doable!

I was seeing my MIL for brunch and pumpkin patch, and she's super critical so yep, I sure did iron his clothes and made sure my DH had extra starch. Anything that is above reproach is worth the effort...usually. I make enough mistakes as it is despite trying my absolute hardest:(
Oooh! Tell us about your MIL issues! The community board desperately needs a juicy thread. ::yes:: :laughing:

Anyone have/had a toddler who hides things? The boy (almost 3) and the smartest kid I've ever been around, LOVES to hide stuff. His sister's ballet clothes, shoes in a largely unused kitchen cabinet, a good hoodie under the rug...the list goes on and on. He thinks it's hysterical. We wouldn't mind quite so much but we're supposed to return the kid's belongings to their mom. Kinda hard to do when you're not looking for a leotard behind the kid's toilet. Anyone gone through this? He thinks it's SO funny, and he is really funny, but sometimes the kid needs his jacket and we need to return his mother her things. TIA. They are great kids, but man, this one is wearing us out.
Talk to him about the problem seriously, then if (when) it persists, give him a consequence for hiding things, a consequence that is meaningful to him. He'll learn not to do it pretty quickly if you impose the consequence each time and are not dissuaded by whining or tears.

I agree with a PP that it's best to begin setting boundaries when they're little & cute. Don't wait until it isn't cute any longer to begin imposing discipline. They won't respond well at that point, after a history of having had their misbehavior indulged.

I would say pay more attention to the kid. He is too young to be left to his own devices where he gets into mischief and is hiding stuff to bother you. He's not even three, how is he doing this repeatedly?

Oooh! Tell us about your MIL issues! The community board desperately needs a juicy thread. ::yes:: :laughing:

She's actually fine, just thinks her parenting was perfect. I do what I can to mitigate and if that means ironing more than I would...so be it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter