Parents of the Class of 2019

Son is home on spring break this week. His school sent out the standard coronavirus message - basically, self-quarantine if you travel to a level 3 country, otherwise, stay healthy, wash your hands, etc., etc.

I asked my son about coronavirus concerns yesterday and he said that there has been talk about it on campus but not much specific. They had a "scare" at the beginning of the semester but both students tested negative. The university is still saying "risk is low" and "in the unlikely event of a local outbreak." We do not currently have any cases in Ohio (although I think that's partly because we don't have any testing kits to test with!)

The univeristy did suspend all university travel to China, South Korea, Italy and Iran for the remainder of the semester, and recalled study-abroad students who were in those countries. ("Decisions will be made soon" regarding summer study-abroad experiences, but for now they're still tentatively on.)

They are urging students to reconsider international or cruise-ship travel for spring break and are asking students planning international travel to China, South Korea, Italy and Iran to self-report their travel plans.

But other than that it's the normal: stay home if you're sick, wash your hands, etc.

On College Confidential I read that lots of colleges are switching to online classes through March. I hope DD's doesn't- she's already feeling like she doesn't have much time left in the school year to be with her people. I assume nothing will change, it's a small public that doesn't draw from far and wide.

She has an interview tomorrow for her dream summer job/internship! They called yesterday. It's perfect timing as she's home on break so she's able to do an in-person interview.

Good luck on your daughter's interview bjscheel!

Ohio State University (closest major university to me) announced today that they're going online through the end of the month for lectures, discussions, seminars, etc. They're still making a decision about labs and performance classes. They are currently on spring break this week, but I believe campus (dorms, dining halls, etc) will be open after spring break -- just classes are moving online.

I'm surprised because so far in Ohio, we have only 3 cases (although I expect that will climb) and none of them are in Central Ohio near OSU nor any of its regional campuses. I'm not sure I completely understand how canceling classes but keeping the kids in the dorms/dining halls will help much. If they cancel in-person meetings for labs and performance classes, too, then maybe kids could/would go home, but...

I've heard rumor that professors at my son's university have been told to plan for the possibility of switching to online classes after spring break (which begins 3/21)... but nothing official has been released. And, again, I'm not sure how it would work for labs. My son has one this semester, so if he has to be on campus for the lab, I'm not sure how having the rest of the classes online will help much.

I don't think my son would be thrilled with switching to online for all of his classes either. Boring... and he'd miss his friends.

Looks like Towson, Stockton, Princeton, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Rowan, Syracuse, West Chester, Fordham are going to be online, most likely TCNJ but not official. Professors at UD have been telling students they are preparing to go online. DH is an adjunct at Rutgers, I’ll break the news to him after he finishes up his conference call in the basement. There is a good chance our school district will be online soon.

DS comes home for break on Friday and just texted that he'll be home for "at least three weeks" which essentially is a two-week quarantine after break ends. The UMd website only says they are preparing for the possibility of online classes but hasn't given us this news yet, so I am not 100% sure it's real or just rumor right now. I'm sure he isn't happy about it.

In other news, he and four friends signed a lease for an off-campus house for next year, so that's cool. Let's focus on that :).

I'm stressing more about my high school junior's stuff - we did two college tours this past weekend and he has SATs this weekend, so let's hope that doesn't get cancelled. He's taking ACT in April but if that doesn't happen and his SAT scores are good, I won't be too worried. He's supposed to recertify for lifeguarding in April at a class held at a local community college, so let's hope that doesn't get cancelled. But I just found another class for the weekend after next that maybe I can get him into and then not have to deal with the April one (schedule and location is better too).

My son's school just announced online classes till 4/13 (at least). Labs and performance classes will be evaluated this week (DS has a geology lab -- so we'll have to see how that goes). All activities with more than 150 people are canceled. But dorms and food service will remain open.

Edit: He just found out that even his geology lab will be online.

Last edited:

DS is at Villanova and he said one of his professors told them they would be switching to online classes, they just don't know when.

My DD20 is studying in Dublin for the semester. They switched to online classes today, but still have labs, seminars, and other small group stuff on campus. DH & I are supposed to go visit her next week. With my luck, Villanova will close while we're out of the country and we will have to figure out how to get all DS stuff home.

Good luck to your daughter, @bjscheel !

We just got the email that they're going to online classes through the end of the month at DD's school. She hasn't heard yet, I don't think, because I'm sure I'll be getting a call when she does. She was really worried this would happen - she's got two labs, a language class with a required conversational element, and a field work class this semester, so basically none of her classes really work with online learning, and she's been pretty stressed about how next fall is going to go if she misses half the labs in her bio and chem pre-reqs before heading into what are generally considered the two hardest classes in the bio major (molecular bio and organic chem). Hopefully she won't check her email until she's at the airport on her way back to campus on Friday so she can focus on what she's doing for the rest of the break.

Spring break isn’t until the end of the month, but it looks like they are starting online classes. Dd also has chemistry and biology labs so I don‘t know how that will work, especially since her chemistry professor doesn’t do anything online, even grades. UDance, a huge fundraiser for children’s cancer, is cancelled. Last year they raised over 2 million dollars, and Dd exceeded her goal of $1000, she’s so sad.

I think our local school district is going online soon, testing it Monday.

Ohio colleges seem to all be going to online right now. No word yet on RIT - as of right now, the plan still is for him to go back Sunday and continue as usual, but things have been changing quickly, so who knows? His biggest hassle would be his Engineering Tools course - the largest portion of their grade is a group building project, creating motorized chimes. Obviously not something that can be done online.

DS comes home for break on Friday and just texted that he'll be home for "at least three weeks" which essentially is a two-week quarantine after break ends. The UMd website only says they are preparing for the possibility of online classes but hasn't given us this news yet, so I am not 100% sure it's real or just rumor right now. I'm sure he isn't happy about it.

In other news, he and four friends signed a lease for an off-campus house for next year, so that's cool. Let's focus on that :).

I'm stressing more about my high school junior's stuff - we did two college tours this past weekend and he has SATs this weekend, so let's hope that doesn't get cancelled. He's taking ACT in April but if that doesn't happen and his SAT scores are good, I won't be too worried. He's supposed to recertify for lifeguarding in April at a class held at a local community college, so let's hope that doesn't get cancelled. But I just found another class for the weekend after next that maybe I can get him into and then not have to deal with the April one (schedule and location is better too).
Update: DS19 has spring break, then a week where classes are cancelled (but they can't go back) and then online-only is rolled out until at least April 10.
I got DS17 into the other lifeguard class, and still business as usual for him, we have no confirmed cases in our county so school is still in session. Cross your fingers that all will remain the same for the next 11 days so he can get recertified!

I also got some not-good news about a family member's health last night (he's been dealing with cancer). So I was up way too late worrying about things I can't control :(.

Sorry about the bad news, Eureka :( :(

On a bright note for my son, it looks like he might be getting an internship at the college I work at. They hire a college engineering student each summer to help with STEM youth camps that they host and I think he's going to likely get the job. :thumbsup2 He wants to take a course or two this summer at the school (community college), so it might be a good fit for him, job-wise. :)

No word from Mizzou yet. Although now I'm wondering if they closed if DD would have to stay since she's a desk attendant and the dorms might remain open. Not sure what I think of that. Regardless, spring break starts a week from Friday.

DS came home for spring break yesterday (as he doesn't have a Friday class in his schedule.)

I almost wish he hadn't because I found out last night that a kid in my "niece and nephew's" (the little ones I watch) class has pneumonia, and they're trying to get him tested for COVID-19. Their preschool/elementary school is closed today, and their mom is home, but I've been with them all week, and they did seem to have slight colds (which they were seen for because one complained of ear pain, and it was diagnosed as ear infections.)

We were supposed to leave for Florida Sunday (to visit my folks and then go to Universal) but that's now off. :( DH is working on canceling everything.

At this point, DS's college plans to have students return after break, and have moved everyone out of one dorm to be used for quarantine if needed. (The guy he's supposed to room with next year moved in with DS and his current roommate.) I'm hoping they just go on-line after break, though. Dorms and dining halls are definitely "petri dishes." And the poor kid has enough stress at school.

DS just heard his school is going on-line. He's so sad. :( I feel bad for what I typed earlier. He was really looking forward to the new roommate situation, has a girlfriend at school he likes seeing every day, etc. (Thankfully, she doesn't live too far from here, but it's not the same as every day.)

DS just heard his school is going on-line. He's so sad. :( I feel bad for what I typed earlier. He was really looking forward to the new roommate situation, has a girlfriend at school he likes seeing every day, etc. (Thankfully, she doesn't live too far from here, but it's not the same as every day.)
DD’s boyfriend (since September) lives down the hall from her. They live 1 1/2 hours apart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter