• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Great news update...DD is moving into a room with another athelete who's original roommate already left school. Form signed and approved so now she needs to haul her stuff up...same dorm but one floor up. And this new roommate is on team with and best friends with my other Dd's roommate. So that works nicely. Shew, prayers answered.

Great news update...DD is moving into a room with another athelete who's original roommate already left school. Form signed and approved so now she needs to haul her stuff up...same dorm but one floor up. And this new roommate is on team with and best friends with my other Dd's roommate. So that works nicely. Shew, prayers answered.

That is awesome news!! You must be so relieved. I'm very happy for your DD :)
And she doesn't even need to change buildings - bonus!

That is great!! Having to stay with a horrible room mate is terrible for them!!

Great news!

Any other parents of new high school freshmen here? I'm finding it very hard to believe that my little boy is headed to hign school. He suddenly seems so grown up. Hoping for a great year!

the class of 2017 graduated last spring, am i the only one who reads this as odd?

DD returned from her month long trip to NYC - she had a great time as a solo traveler but did mention that she now knows she would never want to live in NYC, "too stressful" and I guess it smells as well. I looked at DH and said "whew, best $1000 we ever spent for that life lesson"

DD contacted one of the schools she got an acceptance from but we said no, due to costs. So DD called them up and let them know of the current offer from Alabama, they are "reworking the numbers" and will get back to her. I was so proud of her for having the gumption to make the call.

She is back to working with Girlscouts and has begun to plan a spring trip to DC and we will be visiting Alabama in November.

Meanwhile, she regaled me with the roommate stories from her friends. Every single one is having some sort of roomie drama. One has an unknown boy that has moved into the suite and all the remaining roomies (3) are now sharing the space designed for 2. Another has a roomie that accuses the other 3 suite mates of theft on a daily basis. The latest accusation has to do with a $500 pen (is there really such a thing?) Funny, a dorm room with thousands of dollars in electronics (Phones, ipads, tablets and MacBooks) but the pen is the missing object. Another one of her friends had her entire suite up and leave for either other schools or parts unknown leaving her as the only occupant of a suite designed for 4, she is lonely, I feel bad for her.
I really hope all the roomie drama for everyone settles down soon and these kids can relax and be students

DS called again last night. Always so nice to hear his voice. He told his sister he loved her before they hung up and she was so shocked and happy. He's never been one to show emotion. :lovestruc

That is so sweet! I don't think that would ever happen with my kids, even though they're BFFs!

I'm so happy for her, what a relief this must be for all.

DD returned from her month long trip to NYC - she had a great time as a solo traveler but did mention that she now knows she would never want to live in NYC, "too stressful" and I guess it smells as well. I looked at DH and said "whew, best $1000 we ever spent for that life lesson"

DD contacted one of the schools she got an acceptance from but we said no, due to costs. So DD called them up and let them know of the current offer from Alabama, they are "reworking the numbers" and will get back to her. I was so proud of her for having the gumption to make the call.

She is back to working with Girlscouts and has begun to plan a spring trip to DC and we will be visiting Alabama in November.

Meanwhile, she regaled me with the roommate stories from her friends. Every single one is having some sort of roomie drama. One has an unknown boy that has moved into the suite and all the remaining roomies (3) are now sharing the space designed for 2. Another has a roomie that accuses the other 3 suite mates of theft on a daily basis. The latest accusation has to do with a $500 pen (is there really such a thing?) Funny, a dorm room with thousands of dollars in electronics (Phones, ipads, tablets and MacBooks) but the pen is the missing object. Another one of her friends had her entire suite up and leave for either other schools or parts unknown leaving her as the only occupant of a suite designed for 4, she is lonely, I feel bad for her.
I really hope all the roomie drama for everyone settles down soon and these kids can relax and be students
Glad things worked out for your daughter in NYC. :)

Some of the roommate stories I am hearing from different sources are insane! Seriously, who raised some of these kids? It's like they've never met other humans before.

The other stories I find frightening are the excessive drinking ones. An acquaintances' daughter was walking with her friends recently and they came across a girl, alone, who was so drunk she could barely walk. Thankfully they called 911; the girl passed out before the paramedics arrived. Who knows when could have happened to her! Scary stuff!

So happy to hear this!!! Curious what was the reaction of the former roommate?

This is what I'm hoping will happen for DD16. She'll be going on a choir trip there next summer, and entertains ideas of being a big time actress (so, NYC or LA). But generally she hates cities so hopefully she will have no desire to live in NYC after visiting!

Tomorrow is DD18's birthday so we're going up to take her out after she gets off work. I bought her a succulent for her room as she's been talking about having one. Also bringing her lots of food! DH hasn't seen her for two weeks (I know many go longer, but so far we haven't had to since she's so close). Sometimes I think he's having a harder time than me, knowing she might never live with us again and that we're almost an empty nest with our youngest being a junior who's gone all the time.

Glad things worked out for your daughter in NYC. :)

Some of the roommate stories I am hearing from different sources are insane! Seriously, who raised some of these kids? It's like they've never met other humans before.

The other stories I find frightening are the excessive drinking ones. An acquaintances' daughter was walking with her friends recently and they came across a girl, alone, who was so drunk she could barely walk. Thankfully they called 911; the girl passed out before the paramedics arrived. Who knows when could have happened to her! Scary stuff!
This is just my personal opinion but I think we as parents have done this to some degree. We hover, we have such strict rules and the kids hit college and have no idea what one drink will do let alone ten. They have no idea how to manage alcohol consumption and in college its all about excess. Both of my kids had access to alcohol at home, both had overdone it at home and at least had a bit of a clue the difference between one and ten.
My DS was an athlete and therefore under a contract that he actually took seriously but once they hit college, these no longer exists and they don't have curfews or Mom/Dad's nose to sneak by while reeking of booze.

I remember when DS was heading to college, one of the dorm administrators reminded us of something (this was 10 years ago, its certainly has not changed for the better). Our kids have spent their entire lives with the majority having their own rooms and often bathrooms. While many have siblings, the age gaps have gotten larger as have the number of singletons. These kids have never had to share space, and when it comes time for college they are completely unprepared for the courtesy it takes to share space, especially with a stranger.

DD texted today that her first round of college mid term exams were DONE! And they weren't as bad as she had been expecting. Yay!
Yay, this must be a huge confidence booster!

I'm going to pick up my son tomorrow for his first weekend home! It's a lot of driving for me, but he wants to be here for homecoming. And I can't wait to have him back at home even though it's a really short visit.
I've not seen DS since early June, I'd drive a long way just for a few minutes. Have fun and enjoy your weekend!

This is what I'm hoping will happen for DD16. She'll be going on a choir trip there next summer, and entertains ideas of being a big time actress (so, NYC or LA). But generally she hates cities so hopefully she will have no desire to live in NYC after visiting!

Tomorrow is DD18's birthday so we're going up to take her out after she gets off work. I bought her a succulent for her room as she's been talking about having one. Also bringing her lots of food! DH hasn't seen her for two weeks (I know many go longer, but so far we haven't had to since she's so close). Sometimes I think he's having a harder time than me, knowing she might never live with us again and that we're almost an empty nest with our youngest being a junior who's gone all the time.
We were pleasantly surprised. Miss "I'm going to leave y'all and live in the big city" sure changed her tune once she actually spent some time in one of the biggest! Having a significant time there helped as well. Its one thing to be a tourist and do a whirlwind of fun, another to spend a month on ones own. Huge learning experience for her, just huge!
I had/have a harder time with DS being gone than I do with DD. Not sure why, when DD is gone, I relish the quiet and the cleaner house but I do miss chatting with her and the older she gets the less "teenagy" she acts and is therefore more pleasant to have around.
DH misses DD more when she is gone, they have always been close and they co-exist with each other much better than DD and I do.

This is just my personal opinion but I think we as parents have done this to some degree. We hover, we have such strict rules and the kids hit college and have no idea what one drink will do let alone ten. They have no idea how to manage alcohol consumption and in college its all about excess. Both of my kids had access to alcohol at home, both had overdone it at home and at least had a bit of a clue the difference between one and ten.
My DS was an athlete and therefore under a contract that he actually took seriously but once they hit college, these no longer exists and they don't have curfews or Mom/Dad's nose to sneak by while reeking of booze.

I remember when DS was heading to college, one of the dorm administrators reminded us of something (this was 10 years ago, its certainly has not changed for the better). Our kids have spent their entire lives with the majority having their own rooms and often bathrooms. While many have siblings, the age gaps have gotten larger as have the number of singletons. These kids have never had to share space, and when it comes time for college they are completely unprepared for the courtesy it takes to share space, especially with a stranger.

Yay, this must be a huge confidence booster!

I've not seen DS since early June, I'd drive a long way just for a few minutes. Have fun and enjoy your weekend!

We were pleasantly surprised. Miss "I'm going to leave y'all and live in the big city" sure changed her tune once she actually spent some time in one of the biggest! Having a significant time there helped as well. Its one thing to be a tourist and do a whirlwind of fun, another to spend a month on ones own. Huge learning experience for her, just huge!
I had/have a harder time with DS being gone than I do with DD. Not sure why, when DD is gone, I relish the quiet and the cleaner house but I do miss chatting with her and the older she gets the less "teenagy" she acts and is therefore more pleasant to have around.
DH misses DD more when she is gone, they have always been close and they co-exist with each other much better than DD and I do.

Sorry, I still don't know how to quote only a portion of a post! I wanted to address the first part of your post. I totally agree with the first two paragraphs! My girls were allowed to have alcohol with us at home and when we went to Europe this last year it made it not a big deal at all. My oldest knows her limit and my younger found out that she really can't drink because of a physical condition she has. I let them go to parties and they did not have curfews. The thing is I really did not need to because they came home at a decent time on their own accord. They knew if things ever got out of hand they could call me. I don't know if I just got lucky or what but the drunk party scene is just not really them. If anything happened with friends getting crazy we talked about it and the consequences of it. It is amazing the number of kids that would talk to DH and me about what was going on in their lives that they would never have conversations with their parents about. It wasn't at if we were saying, sure, go get trashed, it's no big deal. We were giving our opinions from a parent perspective and they just appreciated the conversation. A few kids my dd went to school with had tons of rules have already gone off the deep end. Not saying they all do that.

As far as the rooming situation, I agree with that as well. I am assuming more kids than not did not have to share a room growing up. Not saying there are not kids who had to share, I certainly know there are but when you have your own room your whole life it becomes a learning curve to share your personal space. My kids grew up with their own rooms but shared a bathroom and it is an adjustment to share that space with others. They were lucky and will have to learn how to deal. All part of the learning process!

Sorry, I still don't know how to quote only a portion of a post! I wanted to address the first part of your post. I totally agree with the first two paragraphs! My girls were allowed to have alcohol with us at home and when we went to Europe this last year it made it not a big deal at all. My oldest knows her limit and my younger found out that she really can't drink because of a physical condition she has. I let them go to parties and they did not have curfews. The thing is I really did not need to because they came home at a decent time on their own accord. They knew if things ever got out of hand they could call me. I don't know if I just got lucky or what but the drunk party scene is just not really them. If anything happened with friends getting crazy we talked about it and the consequences of it. It is amazing the number of kids that would talk to DH and me about what was going on in their lives that they would never have conversations with their parents about. It wasn't at if we were saying, sure, go get trashed, it's no big deal. We were giving our opinions from a parent perspective and they just appreciated the conversation. A few kids my dd went to school with had tons of rules have already gone off the deep end. Not saying they all do that.
You can edit the quoted post by just deleting the text you want to eliminate, just make sure the opening quote and closing quote remain in their brackets. Note I removed your second paragraph regarding sharing space - as long as the bracketed items remain in the beginning and the end, the message will quote

My kids do not have curfews, they actually had very few "rules" they were never grounded, I just didn't need to. We were open with them, discussed everything and they knew there was nothing they could not share with us. We had a no questions asked/no repercussions policy for when/if they were ever out and about, were drinking and needed a ride. My kids never had to use this clause but my DS called me more than once to come get friends who were intoxicated and afraid to call their parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter