Pay for priority for room locations?

I'm a fan of the DVC show but the episode that focused on this specific topic was terrible and reeked of desperation for content. It's always fun to speculate but this kind of speculation only broods more unnecessary discontent and division.
Yeah, this particular speculation seems unfounded, and I doubt it will ever happen. On the podcast, there was also a discussion about the possible paid perk program being opened up to resale buyers. Not sure anyone thought that through either, since it could undermine direct sales.

Direct buyers have already paid for this program with the cost of direct points. Seems like it is just another chance to pay again?

Direct buyers have already paid for this program with the cost of direct points. Seems like it is just another chance to pay again?
Not sure how it makes sense giving the paid perks to resale buyers. Even if direct members get a discount, the higher price resale buyers pay will still be lower than buying direct, so in a way Disney would be motivating buying resale. I was surprised that no one brought this point up on the podcast.

No, I don’t. Paid perks are still perks, and I don’t think Disney is motivated to do resale buyers any favors.
I think you haveto keep in mind that platforms like DVC Fan and other blogs/vlogs are sponsored by resale companies so a lot of what they talk about purposely props up the resale market and the appeal of buying resale over direct. Propagating rumors like this might influence a potential buyer to buy resale in the hopes of accessing direct perks. It's totally dishonest and misleading.

I think you haveto keep in mind that platforms like DVC Fan and other blogs/vlogs are sponsored by resale companies so a lot of what they talk about purposely props up the resale market and the appeal of buying resale over direct. Propagating rumors like this might influence a potential buyer to buy resale in the hopes of accessing direct perks. It's totally dishonest and misleading.
Just to be clear, I am not against buying resale. 75% of all my points are resale and I've had great experiences buying resale. But the World of DVC's mantra has always been "informing" and "educating" the buyer of things that a direct guide cannot provide. Rumors like this isn't one of them. And I just realized. I just replied to myself! Talk about preaching to the choir. 🤣

I think you’re exactly right. The general consensus on the podcast was that Disney could make alot of money by making the paid perks available in some fashion to resale buyers, and everyone heartily agreed what a good idea that would be, a worthy new strategy that might very well come to pass.

Uh, really? In what world is Disney going to open up any perks for resale buyers? Every single tactic we’ve seen from DVC involves adding benefits to buying direct, while either slowly diminishing or downright eliminating those associated with resale. Does anyone think Disney is going to reverse course?

If the podcast intends to be informative, honest and above board, there should be an episode regarding the benefits to buying direct. Otherwise, it’s the elephant in the room that no one acknowledges. The savings are such that it wouldn’t stop people from buying resale, and it would go a long way to reinforce a stronger sense of the team’s integrity.

Before they do any of this I want a special DVC gold card for anyone crazy enough to buy 1000 points direct. I'm not there "yet" but if I'm crazy enough to do so in the future I want at least something special to show for it :)

I'd demand the following for gold card members:
  • Stale cookies/muffins from all quick service food spots are put into a nice basket and placed in your room with a note stating that "Bob C. sends his regards" instead of being thrown out
  • A special edition magic band that is flashy and says look at me, I'm special
  • A special perk that guarantees housekeeping will only knock on your door a maximum of 3 times on the last day of your stay and at max only one time will be before 9am instead of the typical 8 to 10 times for most DVC members
  • Special limited edition perforated card stock so I can print out my "gold" card at home if I can't get the freaking app to work
  • A special gold club line for DVC member services where you will on average save 30 seconds on hold compared to the typical riff raff

A special edition magic band that is flashy and says look at me, I'm special
But seriously, I don't get why DVC doesn't do stuff like this. Sell a DVC BLUE MagicBand+. Sell a TOTW Tshirt and pin. Sell a special Loungefly. Make Disney money and make the blue cards feel like it means something.

Can DVC start a paid rewards program that would give priority for room locations to those who have paid for the rewards?

As long as you get the booking category that you paid for, absolutely.

After all, nothing in the contract says they have to honor room requests. They could just abolish room requests for everyone, except those who pay an upcharge.
Much like airlines give upgrade preferences to their elite members.

As long as you get the booking category that you paid for, absolutely.

After all, nothing in the contract says they have to honor room requests. They could just abolish room requests for everyone, except those who pay an upcharge.
Much like airlines give upgrade preferences to their elite members.
But with there already being no shortage of annoying upcharges, do we really need another? If I have a room request but don’t get it, it’s not the end of the world.

But with there already being no shortage of annoying upcharges, do we really need another? If I have a room request but don’t get it, it’s not the end of the world.

Look at it this way --- No upcharge, everyone gets to make room requests, but only a 20% chance of getting your request honored.. with upcharge, a 90% chance of getting your highly specific request honored...
Now, that's just hypothetical numbers. But the point is, would it be worth paying more for an increased chance of getting your room request?

Of course, the "upcharge" that is being floated around is a package deal, like Amazon Prime.
Is it worth paying $100 to $200 per year to get an array of benefits, 1 of which is room request priority. Others being a mix of things that are "free" now, as well as new things that don't currently exist (or aren't free).
Maybe Genie+ automatically with all ticket purchases..
Maybe only the upcharge guests get to use the Epcot lounge -- But it is improved, and additional lounges are offered in every park. Maybe a special express lane for entrance to every park at park opening. Maybe enhanced dining discounts.

I think the upcharge they wish they could implement is early check in or late check out, you know, like normal hotels. But I doubt Disney's system is good enough to do this.

I mean if there's a room now at noon, would you pay $50 to get it now? Click here! Or, it can assign the same room to you at 4.

No upcharge, everyone gets to make room requests, but only a 20% chance of getting your request honored.. with upcharge, a 90% chance of getting your highly specific request honored...
My concern is it would go to 90%. The assumption is on Blue card members could buy into the "premier" program, however if the vast majority do, they will not be able to honor 90% of the requests. With a $100-$200 fee, a large number of Blue carder will join, and now that they are "paying" for room requests, more will make special requests. Today, I rarely make a request, if I was paying into this system, I would almost always make a request. This will be like Genie+, with everyone paying the extra $30, the benefit is diluted and they still will only be able to fill 30%-40% of the requests.

And now, I paid for a "preferred" room and didn't get it..... and some white card member that didn't pay into the premier program got a room I like better, or is no different than mine.

I think they would be inviting all the entitled folks to be upset. (I avoided using the K name as to not offend anyone)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter