Pay to upgrade at checkin?

BaseballMoM2007

Mouseketeer
My husband would love to do club level for our 4 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge in July. We are booked on the free dining for a non club level room right now. It will be my husbands birthday while we are there so I would love to be able to upgrade us for his birthday gift as a surprise. If I have a couple of good months at work I could put back the difference easily to pay at check in. I dont want to change my room now and then not be able to swing it later and loose my free dining promo. If I am able to pay for it and of course obviously If a club level room is available could I pay the difference to upgrade us at check in and still keep my free dining promo just paying the difference in room cost?

My husband would love to do club level for our 4 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge in July. We are booked on the free dining for a non club level room right now. It will be my husbands birthday while we are there so I would love to be able to upgrade us for his birthday gift as a surprise. If I have a couple of good months at work I could put back the difference easily to pay at check in. I dont want to change my room now and then not be able to swing it later and loose my free dining promo. If I am able to pay for it and of course obviously If a club level room is available could I pay the difference to upgrade us at check in and still keep my free dining promo just paying the difference in room cost?

As long as there's availability UNDER the Free Dining promotion, then yes you'll be able to pay the difference. If there's no availability under the Free Dining promotion, then you'll end up paying for the Dining Plan AND the upgrade charge for Club Level.

As long as there's availability UNDER the Free Dining promotion, then yes you'll be able to pay the difference. If there's no availability under the Free Dining promotion, then you'll end up paying for the Dining Plan AND the upgrade charge for Club Level.

This was my concern as the time to book the Free dining ends in Feburary. We will be going in July. I guess I will just ask at check in and see what my options are. Defintely do not want to pay for Dining OOP and for the upgrade to clublevel.

Defintely do not want to pay for Dining OOP and for the upgrade to clublevel.

Just curious, but why not? Part of the cost of the upgrade to CL is offset by paying less for your dining, IMO. Breakfast at least is covered. Unless you eat a LOT, the dining plan along with CL is way too much food - for us anyways. The appeal of CL is largely centred on the convenience of the lounge with its food and drink offerings. (FYI: The CL rooms are the same as the non CL rooms. They are even often on different floors from the lounge in AKL.)

If you are staying CL you will have the food/drink offerings in the CL which reduce the amount of these that you will need to purchase, rendering the dining plan an expensive choice, IMO. We find that we sometimes only purchase one full meal at lunch per day when staying CL. A light entree or QS snack in the evening will often be sufficient for dinner along with either the appetizers and/or desserts served in the CL lounge. (which of these we partake of depends upon when we happen to be at the resort as these are offered during set times). OR we have a large breakfast in the morning in the lounge and don't eat again until a nice dinner out in the evening.

A room only discount on a CL room works better for us than Free dining. However, there's often only 2 of us and we eat lighter meals than those often served at Disney, so we only buy one regular meal and a snack/light QS per day OOP. Breakfast is in either the lounge (CL stay) or sometimes just coffee on the balcony in our room (reg room). We do the math to determine which type of discount works best for us. It is easy with all the information available online.

There its a CL focused thread here in this forum that you might enjoy. Lots of friendly folks over there willing to share information and tips to enjoy a CL stay!

Enjoy!

Just curious, but why not? Part of the cost of the upgrade to CL is offset by paying less for your dining, IMO. Breakfast at least is covered. Unless you eat a LOT, the dining plan along with CL is way too much food - for us anyways. The appeal of CL is largely centred on the convenience of the lounge with its food and drink offerings. (FYI: The CL rooms are the same as the non CL rooms. They are even often on different floors from the lounge in AKL.)

If you are staying CL you will have the food/drink offerings in the CL which reduce the amount of these that you will need to purchase, rendering the dining plan an expensive choice, IMO. We find that we sometimes only purchase one full meal at lunch per day when staying CL. A light entree or QS snack in the evening will often be sufficient for dinner along with either the appetizers and/or desserts served in the CL lounge. (which of these we partake of depends upon when we happen to be at the resort as these are offered during set times). OR we have a large breakfast in the morning in the lounge and don't eat again until a nice dinner out in the evening.

A room only discount on a CL room works better for us than Free dining. However, there's often only 2 of us and we eat lighter meals than those often served at Disney, so we only buy one regular meal and a snack/light QS per day OOP. Breakfast is in either the lounge (CL stay) or sometimes just coffee on the balcony in our room (reg room). We do the math to determine which type of discount works best for us. It is easy with all the information available online.

There its a CL focused thread here in this forum that you might enjoy. Lots of friendly folks over there willing to share information and tips to enjoy a CL stay!

Enjoy!

Well the why not part of it is because we already have the free dining discount applied and the scenario I am asking about is just adding club level at check in so i wouldn't be elegible at that point for a room only discount. That being said if it was just my husband and I we could probably do what you do and just end up buying 1 meal a day and use club level as the rest of the meals. We are also considering upgrading to APs on this trip and if we do DH and I will likely come back in the fall for a long weekend for Food and Wine Festival on an adults only trip and will defintely want to try to stay Club level with a room only or AP discount on the room if one is available. We would likely be looking more at Boardwalk or Beach Club (I do hate to stay at Beachclub for the 1st time without DS so probably would be Boardwalk). For this trip with our 11 year old who is about to out grow me the Dining plan makes more sense for us right now on a family trip so he can have ALL the food. DH and I will probably still share meals often and use the QS Credits to buy DS meals at the pool or where ever and just get us the extra adult beverage with it. We did that alot on our last trip We would go and buy DS and his friend a meal at pool bar and get two adult drinks and then go back later and get another meal for us to share and get the other adult drink. It helped us to stretch the value of the Dining plan as well. I will defintely check out the club level thread though. Do you happen to have a link to it?

It doesn't hurt to ask. We upgraded from a standard room to preferred at check in once at Pop a few years back. We also had free dining at the time. We just had to pay the extra $15 per night category difference.

Price it out ahead of time, so there are no surprises.

I tried calling and upgrading to club level for my stay next month, but I was told there wasn’t any availability. I was pretty disappointed!!

I tried calling and upgrading to club level for my stay next month, but I was told there wasn’t any availability. I was pretty disappointed!!
Check online every day and a CL room at your resort may become available. I got my CL at the Yacht 5 days before arrival and at the Poly ~48 hours before boarding the plane. I typically book my Disney trips 4 weeks in advance so a CL room is never available at the time of booking.

If there is a club level room available when you check in, I would bet they would let you pay to upgrade to a club room without taking away your free dining. I could be wrong but I honestly believe they would just have you pay the difference in rooms

You will be able to do it for a set nightly upgrade fee if there is availability. It doesn't matter what kind of package or promotion you had. They don't care about that once you are at the resort and checking in. Just don't do any online check in stuff and ask at the front desk. Expect it to cost anywhere between $150-200 more per night at that resort. Disney has been doing this for a while now.

You will be able to do it for a set nightly upgrade fee if there is availability. It doesn't matter what kind of package or promotion you had. They don't care about that once you are at the resort and checking in. Just don't do any online check in stuff and ask at the front desk. Expect it to cost anywhere between $150-200 more per night at that resort. Disney has been doing this for a while now.

Yep that's exactly what I was thinking about $800 for our 4 nights.

You may wind up paying rack rate for that club level room if you try to upgrade at checkin.

You may wind up paying rack rate for that club level room if you try to upgrade at checkin.

No, that's not how they do it anymore. There is a fixed rate to upgrade based on the room type you already have and where you are trying to upgrade to. This is one of Disney's new ways to make extra money on rooms that would otherwise sit empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter