pet peeves

Thank you! I have 2 autistic sons and sometimes it is near impossible to get them to stand in line. It's nice to hear that there are some understanding people out there in the world. It makes us feel a little less lonely during those difficult times..

See, I don't have an issue with families of children with special needs getting to jump the line (this actually happened while in EPCOT waiting to see Characters and it was fine because I understand that) because I know that with many special needs conditions that the children cannot be in the sun for long periods or with some children with autism cannot wait very well. It is the families who have no children with special needs that irritates me. The people trying to pass us had older children and one family that did manage to jump the line had kids climbing on the rails and kicking people while the parents totally ignored them. They were at least 10 years old and old enough to know better. Even my youngest who was 5 pointed out that they were being rude.

But how do you know she didn't have to go potty??? :confused3

She should have gone to the bathroom before getting into line. She's an adult, not a 3 year. An adult should know to go before hand, or hold it until afterward.

How about if she has IBS? ;) No seriously I'm kidding. Everyone is entitled to have their own pet peeve.

Oh yeah and my BFF and mother both have IBS. IBS is some serious stuff. :scared1:

We really don't want to hear your conversation during a show/attraction. Kindly wait until the show is over.

I don't think that's a valid excuse. My dad has always teased my mom and I for how often we go to the bathroom, but in all our trips to Disney, we NEVER had to leave a line to go to the bathroom. She's an adult! A kid, I can understand. I would think that an adult can understand that if she's going to be in a long line for an attraction, that she should use the restroom before getting into the line.

Prior to standing in a long line I check with the kids or just make them go to the bathroom. We did not have to leave a line to go to the bathroom and had we then we would have gotten in the back of the line. Also with TSM, there is a bathroom right before the boarding area. I noticed it when we waited in line for an hour in October. Heck we even got stuck on the backlot tour thing and was there for close to an hour (ride freaking froze up and we were all in the sun) and my child was able to wait until she got off the ride. This is the same kid who has the bladder a size of a peanut.

Prior to standing in a long line I check with the kids or just make them go to the bathroom. We did not have to leave a line to go to the bathroom and had we then we would have gotten in the back of the line. Also with TSM, there is a bathroom right before the boarding area. I noticed it when we waited in line for an hour in October. Heck we even got stuck on the backlot tour thing and was there for close to an hour (ride freaking froze up and we were all in the sun) and my child was able to wait until she got off the ride. This is the same kid who has the bladder a size of a peanut.

Sounds like our family! My mom's motto is "Never pass up an opportunity to pee." :rotfl:

I completely agree with the above posters. I find the notion that all members of a party (including small children, kids with special needs or the elderly) should be required to put in their time on the line merely so that the people behind them will believe that they've "earned" their photo with Mickey to be completely absurd, and overly judgmental to boot.

If 4 people are going to take their pic with Mickey ahead of Judgy McLinewaiter, it matters not a whit in terms of actual time to Ms. Judgy if all 4 stand on the line or if one designee does, as long as everyone rejoins the line before their turn is called. 4 people don't develop an ability to pose for a photograph faster due to their time served on a line.

And I see absolutely no point in forcing a 2 year old, or an autistic 12 year old, or an elderly grandparent to stand in a shadeless confined space for 40 minutes or more simply to appeal to some random McLinewaiter's arbitrary sense of line-standing justice.

And I think the pious little group that prevented the bathroom-emergency teenager from riding ToT completely suck. Though I'm sure they felt very proud of themselves for putting the poor kid in his "place" that day.

:sad2:

That was my son and thank you. I ABSOLUTELY agree.

Because Disney's Policy is no line jumping and once you leave a line you have lost your place. This is why the family in my case was totally removed from the ride and could have also been removed from the park.

My son says hi and he hopes you enjoyed the ride. :lmao:

Wow, I just sat here for 2 hours reading this thread!!
My biggest peeves are
1. Smokers-please stay in your designated area!
2. Please don't suddenly stop in front of people to look at your maps, move to the side!
3. Rude people! No matter where you are, you should always be polite!:)

My biggest pet peeve is admitting I have made mistakes in the past on our supposedly "Magical Trips." For one, knowing the kids need some down time in the afternoon to keep going to the evening activities. Taking things in stride (not sweating the small stuff). To the poster that talked about her kids in line and running around like they are on crack. If you are going to be there in May, mine will probably give yours a run for their money. However, they are excited about being at Disney and I am making a pact with myself to not get bent out of shape about it. My wife is going to keep me in check and keep reminding me that we will return again (as we have for the past two years). This will not be the last time we ever go and I need to enjoy it and the time we have. So, my pet peeve is about me.

I guess the only peev I would have is rudeness...
People who get peeved by people stopping while walking, or families holding places in line for others, without knowing the reasons behind it...
Now I do admit that some people are just inconsiderate and will line jump or impede the flow of traffic because they think that they can, but more times than not, there is a legitimate reason...

My attitude is, you are at the happiest place on earth...try not to get so annoyed with every little thing that others do...be happy that you're alive, and financially able to experience such a magical place...there are millions of people in the world who are not as furtunate as we are... And when you do get irritated...take a breath, look around, and be thankful that you are where you are...life is too short to be so irritable!!

I guess the biggest pet peeve of mine at Disney is rude people who, wholeheartedly, believe that they are the only people who matters and are entitled to everything.

This encompasses people who:

-take flash photos in dark rides
-instead of going to the end of the row, stop in the middle
-push and shove to see a parade that they didn't wait for
-believe that they can smoke anywhere they want
-purposely line jump even though they don't have any family ahead
-rudely push through to get into a show like it was the last show EVER
-think that Disney characters are there for them alone and allow their children to encroach on others' time with the characters, especially at character dining
-think that they are the only people in the world who deserves to enjoy Disney

Some of these things do happen by accident and most are very apologetic. For instance, on one of our rides through Pirates, someone behind us took a photo and was immediately horrified when the flash went off. They apologized to everyone immediately and never took another photo. When we docked, they apologized again and everyone was fine and even joked about it. Also, I've seen so many people who sit down in the middle and as soon as they heard the announcement again, they jump up and move to the end of the row. Now this is fine to me. However, when they sit there and stare at you like you did something wrong by waiting for them to move. Now that's rude and all they care about is themselves. Apparently, THEY deserve to sit in the middle, no one else.:sad2:

On the other hand, I did want to say that we have met many very nice and polite people at Disney also.:)

Sorry that went too long.

So, let's say my family of 4 has been in line for 10 minutes waiting on an attraction. All of a sudden my daughter needs to go to the bathroom (even though I took her before getting in the line - kids do that - you know that if you have kids). Is my entire family suppose to get out of line and go back to the end of the line after she goes to the bathroom? If that is the case then with 2 children my line waiting time will double because my kids do this all the time (go and then go again 10 minutes later!)

UG!

You know for a place that is suppose to be FOR CHILDREN you'd think that adults could be a little more kind, compassionate, and understanding towards those children. To me, if it comes down to a adult enjoying Disney verses a child I would pick the child any day, even if it is not my own child.

I just thought of another one:

People who become annoyed and beligerent when people post thier pet peeves! :rotfl2: :rotfl:

I thought this thread was a place to vent about out own personal pet peeves not argue over the legitimacy of them. :lmao:

What "peeves" one person is not going to "peeve" another.

You know for a place that is suppose to be FOR CHILDREN you'd think that adults could be a little more kind, compassionate, and understanding towards those children. To me, if it comes down to a adult enjoying Disney verses a child I would pick the child any day, even if it is not my own child.

Right there...you are wrong. WDW is most certainly not JUST for children. That is a peeve of mine.

:rotfl:

I guess the only peev I would have is rudeness...
People who get peeved by people stopping while walking, or families holding places in line for others, without knowing the reasons behind it...
Now I do admit that some people are just inconsiderate and will line jump or impede the flow of traffic because they think that they can, but more times than not, there is a legitimate reason...

My attitude is, you are at the happiest place on earth...try not to get so annoyed with every little thing that others do...be happy that you're alive, and financially able to experience such a magical place...there are millions of people in the world who are not as furtunate as we are... And when you do get irritated...take a breath, look around, and be thankful that you are where you are...life is too short to be so irritable!!

I totally agree.

I also like people to remember that some adults and some kids have disabilities or disorders that are not always evident to them. My son looks perfectly healthy. Yet last time we were at disney I had to jump out of line with him so he could sit in the shade and treat a low blood sugar. After about 15/20 min we jumped back in line. Honestly, my being out of line for 15 min didn't effect anyone's wait. Dh and DD stayed in line holding the place. But perhaps you'd all rather my son just go and have a little old seizure right there in front of you???? would that make you happy
And then, had we done what many others do - get a GAC - you'd all be berating us for abusing the system.

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We also take my dad who has some heart issues and some issues with his legs - he walks ok for a while but then has to stop and sit. He doesn't need an ecv and even so, it wouldn't really help much because the heat can be a problem. Sometimes the lines are just too bad for him, so he waits in the shade and as the line is snaking around he sits. Once it gets to a better place he jumps in. And guess what?????? We've asked CM's if this is ok and they say "OF COURSE. We don't want Gramps passing out in line!"

I think everyone needs to not be so quick to assume that people are trying to use the system....give people the benefit of the doubt. That's what decent humans do.

I totally agree.

I also like people to remember that some adults and some kids have disabilities or disorders that are not always evident to them. My son looks perfectly healthy. Yet last time we were at disney I had to jump out of line with him so he could sit in the shade and treat a low blood sugar. After about 15/20 min we jumped back in line. Honestly, my being out of line for 15 min didn't effect anyone's wait. Dh and DD stayed in line holding the place. But perhaps you'd all rather my son just go and have a little old seizure right there in front of you???? would that make you happy
And then, had we done what many others do - get a GAC - you'd all be berating us for abusing the system.

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We also take my dad who has some heart issues and some issues with his legs - he walks ok for a while but then has to stop and sit. He doesn't need an ecv and even so, it wouldn't really help much because the heat can be a problem. Sometimes the lines are just too bad for him, so he waits in the shade and as the line is snaking around he sits. Once it gets to a better place he jumps in. And guess what?????? We've asked CM's if this is ok and they say "OF COURSE. We don't want Gramps passing out in line!"

I think everyone needs to not be so quick to assume that people are trying to use the system....give people the benefit of the doubt. That's what decent humans do.

I know for me, all these things as peeves are just that, peeves. Which mean minor annoyances. Something that bug me for a little bit but not anywhere near bad enough to ruin even a fraction of my day. We all have peeves on a day to day basis. If things bug a person more than just a tiny bit, then it is not a peeve...it is something else.

I know for me, all these things as peeves are just that, peeves. Which mean minor annoyances. Something that bug me for a little bit but not anywhere near bad enough to ruin even a fraction of my day. We all have peeves on a day to day basis. If things bug a person more than just a tiny bit, then it is not a peeve...it is something else.
I agree. If you can't put yourself in someone else's shoes, or if the peeve ruins your entire day then it's moved beyond pet peeve and then there is really no convincing these people otherwise.

I've moved this thread to the Theme Parks Community board.

And remember everybody...BE NICE. Agree to disagree and don't let this thread devolve into personal arguments and insults. You're all doing a great job so far. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter