Photo and Reception costs

EjandMD

Two Normal People Obsessed With WDW
We are planning a Sept. 20, 2003 at the Pivilion with an outdoor reception at the gardens of the Grand Floridian, weather permitting.

My concern is the cost of reception. I want it in the evening and was told the minimum was $100 per plate, I believe that that price included drinks and cake. Can you get something decent for that $100 or will our guests be left to dine on that traditional bland chicken cordon blu? I wanted this wedding so that it wouldn't be generic and I am worried that if we don't spend 200 per person on food I'm going to serve my guests chicken fingers and fries, although judging by the past few weddings I've been at, that would be an improvment.

Second the photos, from the packet we got from the sales representative seem high, I think video was 1500 and 1000 for photo with only like 12 prints. Anyone use someone else? And will someone who comes not recommended by my packet be limited in where we can go to take photos?

I know that we were planning to have the rehersal dinner at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville at US and I got the impression that Disney wasn't too happy about that decision.

By the way, we are looking at 55 to 60 guests.

Thanks
Michelle

Sept. 20, 2003

Michelle,
Hi! Did you get the Epcot menus that I sent you? Disney can work off of menus from different areas, so if you're having a Boardwalk reception, for example, but love something on the GF menu, they can easily customize that for you. Definitely mention this concern to your sales manager, and ask for some sample menus, so you can see the most recent pricing.
As far as outside vendors for photography/videography, we are going with Randy Chapman for photography & STVS for videography. Both of their packages were considerably less than that offered by Disney Photographic Services, and the quality is just as good (far better, in the case of STVS vs. Disney Videography). I would highly recommend going with an outside videographer if you are using the pavilion for your ceremony. Disney videography uses mounted cameras, which are at an odd angle. They look down on you from above, instead of being at eye level to catch all expressions. And I've heard that they are operated by hourly employees, without much training, and that there is high turnover in this department. With our videographer, we know that there are people behind each camera, not one guy working all 3 from a control room. And STVS uses digital broadcast quality cameras, so it is a higher quality camera itself than those mounted in the pavilion. When you get a sample from Disney, make sure you ask for a finished product, not a montage. The montage will be lovely, but not whawt you'll actually get - they cut their best shots from 3 or 4 weddings and pieced them together. With a sample finished product you'll be able to see the quality of their work, and it doesn't hold up to that of any of the other vendors we looked at.
And as far as going anywhere, your photographer & videographer will not be limited in this, if you go with outside vendors. Many brides on the Disneymooners list use outside vendors for their receptions, Illuminations dessert parties, etc. so that's not a problem at all.
If you haven't been there yet, check out www.yourfairytale.com - they have a good list of outside vendors who are happy to show samples and give pricing.
Cheers!
Heather P

Michelle,

We just booked Randy Chapman as well - his prices were the best I could find. I tried pricing many Orlando-area photographers and his prices were the best by far! Most photographers' prices were very similar to Disney and a few were much more expensive! To give you an idea of Randy's prices, the sample pricing he sent ranged from $1500-3500. The most expensive sample package is around the same price as the 8-hour photo package which Disney recommended to me, but Randy's package includes a ton more pictures (your whole alblum). He is also willing to customize the packages to suit your needs - whereas when I spoke to Disney their prices seemed to be based more on an hourly basis. We haven't decided if we are going to have professional videography - I personally can't justify $1000 for two copies of a VHS tape - especially since we won't be watching it every day for the rest of our lives! We may just have a couple of guests with video cameras tape the ceremony and then we'll decide when we get home if we want to take it in for professional editing or transfer to DVD.

We agonized over wedding videos, and just did not have the budget for it. We were quoted between $1500 and $3500. We stumbled onto a huge savings that added some magic at the same time. My maid of honor's boyfriend was not going to be able to afford to go. We bought his plane ticket for $200, and paid for 2 nights at Dixie Landings (PO-R) for them, and added one guest to the list. Heather's then future husband enjoyed his first trip to WDW, and we had another dear friend with us. He used my Dad's video camera, and not only taped the ceremony, but taped throughout all the special events in the reception. Maybe it is not the TV quality of some tapes, but we saved a ton (overall less than $500) and included a friend.

Regarding the food... We found a meal that was right at the minimum cost required - it was outstanding. Not the standard catering quality at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter