Photo Sharing: Olympus, 4:3, Micro 4:3

Has anyone gotten or is thinking about getting the OM-D E-M1?

My photography budget at the moment is $0 so it will be a while before I make the jump from the E-M5.

All good points!! I'm really interested in the recently released 12-40mm f/2.8 lens and the to be released 40-150mm f/2.8 lens. But again that is somewhere down the road for me.

The wonderful Brown Truck is delivering both of these to my house today :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I cannot wait to start shooting with Olympus again and in particular this camera.

I will report back soon with thoughts and photos :)

The wonderful Brown Truck is delivering both of these to my house today :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I cannot wait to start shooting with Olympus again and in particular this camera.

I will report back soon with thoughts and photos :)

Lucky you! :thumbsup2 I keep thinking about the 12-40mm but I have the Panny 12-35mm already. Kind of wish I had waited. I did order the Oly 25mm and will sell my Panny 25mm. I like the smaller size and since I have the E-M5, the chromatic aberration will be corrected with the Oly 25mm.

Post some pics when you get a chance!

tale-as-old.jpg

Scrapbook page/collage from Panasonic G3, 7-14, 12-35

Has anyone gotten or is thinking about getting the OM-D E-M1? My photography budget at the moment is $0 so it will be a while before I make the jump from the E-M5.

I've had mine with the 12-40mm about a month and I love it! Such a step up in ease of use from my Panasonic G5. Luckily I have a husband who is an enabler when it comes to new toys. (He got the E-M10) Unfortunately no Disney trip until October.

From my last trip with the G5:

WD Theater by SMcK Photo, on Flickr

arb_1000142_3_4_5_6_fused.jpg

The UPS man has been good to me lately: first a Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 and now a Panasonic GX7! Now DW wants one of each for her own. :(

That weather looks lovely, Bob. We had a nice day today but tomorrow it's turning yucky again. I haven't brought my camera out since last fall. :eek: (And I have to soon, as I have a new puppy!)

disneybride, how does your DH like the E-M10?

While checking to see what aperture is the sharpest for my carry lenses (Panasonic 7-14, 12-35, 35-100) the DXOmark tests had some surprising results. Wide open is about as good as it gets for these lenses although the 35-100 improves a bit at f/4. By f/5.6 it appears *all* micro 4/3 lenses are starting to drop off in sharpness due to diffraction. By f/8 they are not very good and they should not be used at f/11 and beyond if we care about sharpness at all.

My own test confirmed this, where at f/16 the results were not sharp at all. This did not require pixel-peeping, it was easy to see at full screen magnification. The "sunny day" guideline says 1/200 @ f/16 is a good start (most micro 4/3 don't go much below ISO 200). This gives 1/1600 @ f/5.6 and 1/3200 @ f/4, after that we may run out of shutter speeds. I used to think that 1/8000 shutter speed was of little use, not any more.

Are we better off with a good ND filter rather than stopping down? I haven't tried this, my guess would be that the sharpness would be better but maybe some other distortions would make the final result only somewhat better than stopping down. I am not a pixel-peeper and not fanatic about sharpness but when I take the trouble to use a tripod I want to get the best image possible so now I check to see that the aperture is around f/4.

stream_1010226.jpg

penn_1010331a.jpg

From "Streamliners at Spencer" event.
Panasonic GX7 with Panasonic 12-35, 5 image HDR and Photomatix

dam_1020287_bw.jpg

Ruins of the dam at Company Mill - Umstead Park, Raleigh NC.

Panasonic GX7, 12-35

Glad to see these beautiful pictures and that the thread is still going!

I haven't been shooting much with my Olympus gear other than at baseball games. (Primarily use my iPhone these days.) I would like to pick up an OMD EM10 when the budget allows.

This was with the E30 recently, our new pup. (Pardon the WB being off. Haven't had a computer working right for reviewing/editing for a while since we had a lightning strike and fire.)

P5214674.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter