• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales Catch All Thread

umichigan10

DIS Veteran
So I wanted to post my thoughts on the new pirates movie. I'm not 100% sure how to make the spoiler tag so I'll say right here THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS OF THE MOVIE

That being said, here's my thoughts:
-I thought the plot was kinda confusing and there was too much going on. Too many characters and too much going on for me to really follow
-I really didn't like Depps acting. I thought that the first 10 minutes or so were really solid and interesting, and then when his part came up it got kinda sloggy. Maybe it's just a symptom of seeing his character in 4 previous movies, but I felt like his humor/character didn't mesh really well for a fair chunk of the movie. (I also disliked their overuse of slomo during his shenanigans)
-Reading an article last night, and there's such a lack of continuity in the series. Jack gives away his compass on half a dozen different occasions in the previous films, but in this one a rules created that he can't give it away or else. There's a fair more bit of continuity issues, but I'll spare you the details
-I felt that Orlando Bloom was sorta out of place, and Kierra Knightly most definitely. Will Turner showing up was a total fan service deal, given he was only in the movie 10 minutes. I feel like he could've been more a part of the plot instead of just showing up for the short part he was.

Overall I was disappointed I really wanted to enjoy it, feel free to post your thoughts

I liked it. I mean, it wasn't the best one by any means, but I still thought it was good fun. Overall, I feel like there's a couple of issues here:
-I personally didn't really connect with the Henry/Carina characters. I'm not sure why... It just wasn't a Will/Elizabeth kind of duo... Not that I was expecting it to be.
-BIG SPOILER: The Barbossa plot twist wasn't convincing enough to me. I felt like they just had to add that plot point to get rid of the character by the end of the movie. It kind of makes me wish that some kind of reference to a daughter had been added to one of the previous movies.
-I guess Orlando and Keira just agreed to a cameo, since they said they were out of the franchise after the third one. Still, I do agree that a little bit more interaction would've been nice.

Overall it was a fun movie to watch, though. I liked that it goes back to the feel of the original couple of movies. Salazar was a good villain, and as a whole I had a good time watching it. Now, since they said that this might be the last movie, and given the post-credits scene, I assume they'll wait to see how well it performs at the box office before making a decision to continue the franchise or not.

I disagree @umichigan10

honestly I think people are watching this with a bias mind, due to the trail by media that Johnny Depp has been going through in real life. Its the in thing now to drag him so therefore a film franchise in which he is the main lead is being dragged by critics and the media which in turn influences the general public's perception of the film.

I loved the back stories, the young Jack and how he got his name, and the shock reveal of Corinne being Barbossa daughter. Will and Elizabeth so totally made sense and were not out of place, their story arc is now complete, whereas up to now, it was just left hanging. I wasn't confused by the compass story-line, yes he gave it away many times previously, but this time was different, he betrayed the compass, ie the reason he used it as a trade was because he was losing himself, he had lost his mojo, reason for living etc. In previous times, in the end, after a trade the compass always came back to him, but this time it wouldn't.

I loved all the references to previous films, and how they used Blackbeards sword to real the Black Peal

@umichigan10 did you stay to see the after credits scene?
Yes Will got released from the part of the crew, part of the ship curse, but he is still Captain of The Dutchman, so Davy Jones coming for him, made sense too.

I liked it. I mean, it wasn't the best one by any means, but I still thought it was good fun. Overall, I feel like there's a couple of issues here:
-I personally didn't really connect with the Henry/Carina characters. I'm not sure why... It just wasn't a Will/Elizabeth kind of duo... Not that I was expecting it to be.
-BIG SPOILER: The Barbossa plot twist wasn't convincing enough to me. I felt like they just had to add that plot point to get rid of the character by the end of the movie. It kind of makes me wish that some kind of reference to a daughter had been added to one of the previous movies.
-I guess Orlando and Keira just agreed to a cameo, since they said they were out of the franchise after the third one. Still, I do agree that a little bit more interaction would've been nice.

Overall it was a fun movie to watch, though. I liked that it goes back to the feel of the original couple of movies. Salazar was a good villain, and as a whole I had a good time watching it. Now, since they said that this might be the last movie, and given the post-credits scene, I assume they'll wait to see how well it performs at the box office before making a decision to continue the franchise or not.
I will say I liked it better than 4, mostly because it tried to at least tie into the original storyline. I can give them props there.

I generally agree with your thoughts though. I didn't mind Salazar as a villain to be honest, but I thought the idea of why he ended up in limbo in the triangle was sort of shallow and not fleshed out enough. I really liked the CGI on his crew though

I disagree @umichigan10

honestly I think people are watching this with a bias mind, due to the trail by media that Johnny Depp has been going through in real life. Its the in thing now to drag him so therefore a film franchise in which he is the main lead is being dragged by critics and the media which in turn influences the general public's perception of the film.

I loved the back stories, the young Jack and how he got his name, and the shock reveal of Corinne being Barbossa daughter. Will and Elizabeth so totally made sense and were not out of place, their story arc is now complete, whereas up to now, it was just left hanging. I wasn't confused by the compass story-line, yes he gave it away many times previously, but this time was different, he betrayed the compass, ie the reason he used it as a trade was because he was losing himself, he had lost his mojo, reason for living etc. In previous times, in the end, after a trade the compass always came back to him, but this time it wouldn't.

I loved all the references to previous films, and how they used Blackbeards sword to real the Black Peal

@umichigan10 did you stay to see the after credits scene?
Yes Will got released from the part of the crew, part of the ship curse, but he is still Captain of The Dutchman, so Davy Jones coming for him, made sense too.
In truth I haven't followed much of what's happened with Johnny Depp in real life, my opinion was based solely off his role in the movie. It's all a matter of opinion obviously I just wasn't that impressed.

I can understand your compass explanation, I can sort of follow that logic. I stand by my Elizabeth-Will comment though, if they were in the film they should've been featured more prominently (especially Will) but as a pp poster said they only signed of for a cameo.

I didn't see the after credit scene but it doesn't really make sense in the greater continuity. Davy Jones is dead, so how could he be haunting Will? I know the series has no problem bringing characters back from the dead (Barbossa) but I don't think bringing Davy back makes sense since they kinda wrapped that whole saga up at the end of 3.

Just wasn't my speed, glad you enjoyed it though

Count me as glad they made it, and glad I saw it.

I loved the back stories, the young Jack and how he got his name, and the shock reveal of Corinne being Barbossa daughter. Will and Elizabeth so totally made sense and were not out of place, their story arc is now complete, whereas up to now, it was just left hanging. I wasn't confused by the compass story-line, yes he gave it away many times previously, but this time was different, he betrayed the compass, ie the reason he used it as a trade was because he was losing himself, he had lost his mojo, reason for living etc. In previous times, in the end, after a trade the compass always came back to him, but this time it wouldn't. I loved all the references to previous films, and how they used Blackbeards sword to real the Black Peal

That's exactly where we are. This movie ties so many ends together we can look past the fact that once again it's all kinda the same, and not critically acclaimed by any measure. The one day every 10 years for Will and and Elizabeth was a thorn for us, and having their son be the one on a quest to solve it made sense to me. Did miss the wooden eye big nose guys though. Yes 80% like it as "fans", 30% don't as "critics"-that's no mystery to me. But most of all-entertain us enough to complete the arc's, then if you insist on more-go in all new directions from here.

Last edited:
I really liked it. And to me, they had to had Kierra Knightly show up! People in my theater cheered during that part! I wasn't disappointed with it AT ALL and thought they did a very good job working everything in together.

Saw it a couple days ago. Thought Depp was flat and showed very little enthusiasm, and before I get written off as a Depp hater, I am a huge fan of pretty much everything he's ever been in and have no clue what the talk is about his private life as I don't follow celebrities apart from what they do on the screen.

Really really enjoyed it. I was laughing and giggling throughout it. Perfect popcorn movie for me just sit back and enjoy the ride on a Saturday afternoon. Kids loved it too.

Saw it on opening night and thought it was a good movie. Put it in the middle of the franchise as far as quality is concerned. Really enjoyed seeing young Jack and I am sure there are alot of continuity issues but just watched it for what it was. A good entertaining family film. Depp wasn't at his greatest perhaps but by no means was it a bad performance and I would still love to see him in another one. The Davy Jones ending is a little odd to explain but Im sure they can come up with something along the lines of the sea curses being broken allowed him to come back. I wonder if that means a sixth PotC or maybe a Davy Jones spinoff with calypso

I liked it better than #4. I do agree that Depp was different this time but I attributed that to the fact that he was suppose to be drunk most of the movie.

The characters in past versions that we haven't seen die are the ones they bring back. The exception to that was Barbossa the first time he died; we didn't see him actually die in this one and he did supposedly die at sea so there always the possibility he would come back via the Flying Dutchman.

With the compass, I think in past films he allowed others to use it in order to achieve what he wanted. In this film he simply traded it away for a bottle of rum.

The exception to that was Barbossa the first time he died; we didn't see him actually die in this one and he did supposedly die at sea so there always the possibility he would come back via the Flying Dutchman.

OMG, I just figured it out, Barbosa comes back as Davy Jones, ie with the octopus tentacles face. also if he does, its like oh my fridge goodness, what does a character have to DO to be dead dead and never come back, lol

With the compass, I think in past films he allowed others to use it in order to achieve what he wanted. In this film he simply traded it away for a bottle of rum.
thats it, I couldnt figure out the words but I knew the concept :)

Semi-related note before I post my thoughts: One of the previews was for the new Transformers movie and I was sitting there thinking 'ugh this franchise is so over-done they just need to stop already'...You know, while I was anxiously waiting for the 5th installment of a movie franchise about a 50 year old theme park ride :P

Anyway, I thought the film was fine. I'm a sucker for closure so I enjoyed the plot line of Henry trying to save his father, then the reunion of Will & Elizabeth at then end (but like really, where was she this whole time and why didn't she help her son try to find the trident??). I agree that Depp's acting wasn't as rock solid as in the previous films but it wasn't terrible. Visually the film was stunning, as always. Just please don't put Salazar into any of the rides. They're fine as they are.

I will cop to having "franchise fatigue" when they announced production had started on PotC 5. But the character of Salazar intrigued me and got my interest going a bit. Ultimately, I fully expected to walk out of the cinema satisfied that I'd seen the final PotC film.

I absolutely loved it! It felt like a true return to the form of "Curse of the Black Pearl" while tying back to the previous four films quite organically. Keeping the story focused on the romantic leads rather than Jack helped immensely. Barbossa was his delightfully wicked self. And Salazar made for an excellent Big Bad. I wish we could have seen a little more of him pre-curse, but he was mesmerising nonetheless.

If they choose to end the franchise here, they certainly tied things up in a lovely bow for us. But I'm happy to say they left me wanting more.

Loved this movie...enjoyed it so much and they can keep making Pirate movies and I will keep watching them.
I would love to see a prequel, one where we see young Jack Sparrow and how he lost the Pearl to Barbossa and how the wicked wench became the pearl. Even a Davy Jones one where we see how they got Calypso. They could do a lot.

So I wanted to post my thoughts on the new pirates movie. I'm not 100% sure how to make the spoiler tag so I'll say right here THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS OF THE MOVIE

That being said, here's my thoughts:
-I thought the plot was kinda confusing and there was too much going on. Too many characters and too much going on for me to really follow
-I really didn't like Depps acting. I thought that the first 10 minutes or so were really solid and interesting, and then when his part came up it got kinda sloggy. Maybe it's just a symptom of seeing his character in 4 previous movies, but I felt like his humor/character didn't mesh really well for a fair chunk of the movie. (I also disliked their overuse of slomo during his shenanigans)
-Reading an article last night, and there's such a lack of continuity in the series. Jack gives away his compass on half a dozen different occasions in the previous films, but in this one a rules created that he can't give it away or else. There's a fair more bit of continuity issues, but I'll spare you the details
-I felt that Orlando Bloom was sorta out of place, and Kierra Knightly most definitely. Will Turner showing up was a total fan service deal, given he was only in the movie 10 minutes. I feel like he could've been more a part of the plot instead of just showing up for the short part he was.

Overall I was disappointed I really wanted to enjoy it, feel free to post your thoughts

Yes, yes, yes, and yes some more. Something was so off about Depp in this movie. I was excited to see it BECAUSE of Depp's acting and portrayal of Jack and then I was left wanting.

The compass. My husband and I literally turned and looked at each other and said, "didn't he already lose that?"

Will and Elizabeth Turner - I was also excited because I thought I was going to get to see Will and Elizabeth reunited on the big screen and they would once again be part of the franchise and the chemistry would transfer onto the screen all to get a few scenes? WTFrench Toast??!

Overall, this was not my favorite. I have no desire to see it again. It really left me hanging.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes some more. Something was so off about Depp in this movie. I was excited to see it BECAUSE of Depp's acting and portrayal of Jack and then I was left wanting.

The compass. My husband and I literally turned and looked at each other and said, "didn't he already lose that?"

Will and Elizabeth Turner - I was also excited because I thought I was going to get to see Will and Elizabeth reunited on the big screen and they would once again be part of the franchise and the chemistry would transfer onto the screen all to get a few scenes? WTFrench Toast??!

Overall, this was not my favorite. I have no desire to see it again. It really left me hanging.
I actually have watched the older movies since I saw the new one and something was seriously wrong with his acting in this one. Even on stranger tides, which I admittedly didn't like, his humor and presence on the screen definitely made it bearable

I have to say that I just saw it and I actually really liked it.

The story was a complete mess in many ways...too many unexplained elements...but I did think the "feel" was a little more on point.

The other annoying thing about the compass was that in the 2nd movie it is mentioned that Jack got the compass from Tia Dalma, but this movie has a totally different origin for it.

OK, my take (not that anyone cares) - this was my favorite movie, after than the first one. Of course, I didn't like #3 much at all, and found #4 very forgettable. And, I'm probably the only person around who didn't like #2 that much. But, I thought this movie was a lot of fun! And, though there were some continuity issues (and other random unexplained stuff, like why the compass was tied to Salazar being a ghost), I felt it tied together some of the other story lines pretty well. I mean, if I can set aside the fact that horses are towing a bank through town, I set aside the details of how the compass changed hands.

I had read no previews of the movie, so seeing Orlando Bloom and then later Keira Knightly in it at all was a big surprise to me.

I'd actually be fine to go back and watch this one again in the theater, which is not something I say about most movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter