Plans for the July 4th weekend?

BBQ, fireworks, swimming…..you know the usual American traditions. Wish there was a parade this year though.
Also, pulling out the suitcases to get ready for our Disney trip.

Evacuate from Central Florida? Why???
Depends on where she decides to cross the state and whether it’s a hurricane or not. Right now, it’s looking like the big bend area will take the brunt, which would be close enough, but if it turns sooner, I want to be ready. I swore after the eye of Irma went directly over us, that I would not stay here if another one was making a direct hit. It was terrifying.

The car is full of gas and I want to be prepared and have options. I keep hoping it will turn and go out in the Atlantic. Hurricane season is the only time living alone stinks . . .

We'll have three generations fill up our family beach house. On the 4th we'll take the little guys to "parade" through our small neighborhood waving flags, while my brother-in-law plays a cadence on a drum. We did that for the first time last year and were surprised by how many neighbors came running out, and the kids loved it!

Depends on where she decides to cross the state and whether it’s a hurricane or not. Right now, it’s looking like the big bend area will take the brunt, which would be close enough, but if it turns sooner, I want to be ready. I swore after the eye of Irma went directly over us, that I would not stay here if another one was making a direct hit. It was terrifying.

The car is full of gas and I want to be prepared and have options. I keep hoping it will turn and go out in the Atlantic. Hurricane season is the only time living alone stinks . . .
Yeah, it's way too early to tell where it will end up, but the more recent models are looking better for us.

The last thing we want here is the rest of that condo in Surfside to come tumbling down! They stopped search and rescue at 2 AM because the remaining part of the building is looking unstable.

But where do you live? Unless you're on the coast, you shouldn't have a problem in Central Florida.

Same as every other year. We will stay home with our traumatized dog. It's so silly. We live less than a mile from the back of Magic Kingdom. The fireworks are perfectly visible from our neighborhood. Instead of watching Disney's beautiful display, our neighbors shoot off pitiful little fireworks. I guess they are spoiled by seeing Disney's fireworks on a regular basis. They'd rather just play with the tiny stuff. Our dog is used to Disney's fireworks and is not bothered by them. She is terrified of the firecrackers and cherry bombs the neighbors set off. Sorry, why not just burn up your wallet? JMHO.

Yeah, it's way too early to tell where it will end up, but the more recent models are looking better for us.

The last thing we want here is the rest of that condo in Surfside to come tumbling down! They stopped search and rescue at 2 AM because the remaining part of the building is looking unstable.

But where do you live? Unless you're on the coast, you shouldn't have a problem in Central Florida.
I am off Hwy 27, between Clermont and Davenport, so west of Disney. The hilly part of central Florida, which is how we got a basement. That’s where I hide during storms. Irma basically came right up 27, and the eye went right over our neighborhood. The worst storms are usually on the east side of a hurricane, so it will be a rough day or two for us even if Elsa turns inland farther north. But I keep remembering Charlie, and how he was supposed to turn in at Tampa but turned much farther south instead, so I am watching carefully. We probably won’t know until late Sunday where it’s headed.

I am also hoping that Surfside is spared, not only to keep what remains of the building from falling, but to keep the rubble from flooding in torrential rain, or debris becoming airborne. It would be bad all the way around.

We are going to a Phillies game on Saturday and then are headed to my parent's house on Sunday night to watch their town's fireworks from their backyard. We may head over earlier for a picnic. We are kind of waiting to see what the weather does; right now it isn't looking to promising.

No set plans. Just playing by ear. If the weather is nice I’m sure our son, daughter-in-law and grandkids will be over to use the pool but not planning any cookout or anything. We use to host one for my whole family but I always ended up doing all the work just like every other holiday, and nobody ever offered to help. They’d all just show up, drink, eat and leave. So I stopped doing July 4th.

Fireworks cruise :love:
We will cruise to the Gulf of Mexico, stop on the Anclote Island for some shelling and strolling, watch a breathtaking sunset and then watch the City of Tarpon Springs fireworks show. As always, we will look for the dolphins, manatees, and sea turtles during the cruise.

As mentioned above, I'll also be trying to comfort my panicking dog all night. During the day Sunday going to a brewery with some friends, and our 3 year old is going to stay over at his grandparents. On Monday bringing my wife to see F9. So much Vin Diesel grunting about family. Doesn't get more American than that.

We will be finishing up a week along the stunning Oregon coast. Beautiful sites, quiet, and few people. Last year was a war zone in the LA Basin, so we left before the madness!

Fireworks cruise :love:
We will cruise to the Gulf of Mexico, stop on the Anclote Island for some shelling and strolling, watch a breathtaking sunset and then watch the City of Tarpon Springs fireworks show. As always, we will look for the dolphins, manatees, and sea turtles during the cruise.
Keep an eye on the weather. We're "in the cone."

Getting together with a couple other neighborhood families and doing a "progressive" cookout, starting at our place for appetizers, then moving to other houses for dinner and then desserts.

Staying in. Decided with the fireworks shortage, fireworks and gas cost, plus smoke already in the air with wildfires, we're leaving it to the professionals and watching from our balcony. Oven & slowcooker BBQ and making potato salad.

Last edited:
Not to much is on tap for us. Youngest son is home for the weekend, but I suspect he & his brother will be fishing most of the weekend! Probably get crabs at some point. But no grand plans to go anywhere and watch fireworks. I hope to spend Sunday afternoon & Monday doing a little bit of nothing and relaxing/reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter