Plants/herbs that repel bugs?

Kahana-ri

DIS Veteran Needs to learn how to ride a lawnmower
DS is not ok with small critters playing along side of him in his play yard. Frankly, I don’t blame him. I have read that marigolds and mint repel bugs. Anyone use anything else that shoos the bad bugs. Butterflies, dragonflies and lady bugs ok. Even bees and spiders I understand need their place in the yard as well. Carpenter ants, mosquitoes and anything else that freaks out a 4-year old is not welcomed. :scared1: Suggestions would be helpful. I figure we can plant some seedlings as a fun project until we can plant them outside.

DS is not ok with small critters playing along side of him in his play yard. Frankly, I don’t blame him. I have read that marigolds and mint repel bugs. Anyone use anything else that shoos the bad bugs. Butterflies, dragonflies and lady bugs ok. Even bees and spiders I understand need their place in the yard as well. Carpenter ants, mosquitoes and anything else that freaks out a 4-year old is not welcomed. :scared1: Suggestions would be helpful. I figure we can plant some seedlings as a fun project until we can plant them outside.

You can plant citronella-scented geraniums, but I'll warn you...they don't really repel much. No plant really does. However, they are pleasantly scented.

To avoid carpenter ants, don't use wood mulch, and clear away rotten timbers and old logs. To avoid mosquitoes, don't breathe (sorry, but they are attracted to the CO2 emitted in respiration). Clear away any standing water, or use Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) dunks in your birdbaths and water gardens to keep mosquitoes from breeding in your yard. Make your yard bird-friendly...they will help in the bug battle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter