• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help me be "happy" about SSR

I am happy about SSR because less than a month ago, I was able to change a 2 night BLT pre 4th of July stay into an SSR 4 night pre 4th of July stay! We have booked a boat fireworks cruise so we no longer needed the TTOTW access to see the 3rd of July fireworks. Also our travel plans changed totally and we needed to leave home 2 nights before we previously thought. ( Communication glitch, promised our house use to a relative!)

I like the food offerings at Artist Pallet and the pool at Congress Park, and I do think the grounds are beautiful, and I know we are at Disney!?

At 7 months for December, I needed to book a villa with a roll in shower because I invited relatives to join me at WDW. They did not respond to my offer in time to book anything with home priority, and as I watched HA options disappear before I could book, I worried there would be nothing, but thankfully, SSR is large enough and I was able to get a dedicated 2 bedroom with the needed roll in shower. Can't wait to host my cousins this December!

Can't say i was particularly impressed, especially with the pools (used the main one & the carousel section). There's a DVC accommodation for every member's tastes. My then 5 y.o. GD who is a regular, asked why we weren't staying "at disney" that trip. Her favorite thing there wound up being the donald statue @ the pool.

I certainly was happy enough to be able to land there using extra points i had onhand VS paying cash somewhere onsite or off just a few months' out during a busy time:thumbsup2. Visited DS once that visit, was nice to be able to take the boat over vs dealing with the parking lot.

OP it's a lovely time of year to visit, I'm sure you will enjoy your first trip "home" and all the others to come.
As far as the pools go, the main pool is nice, but the Paddock pool is better, in my opinion. The water slide and kiddie area over there stand out, and it has a pool bar area for adults.

As far as the pools go, the main pool is nice, but the Paddock pool is better, in my opinion. The water slide and kiddie area over there stand out, and it has a pool bar area for adults.

Not a pool hopper, that area far enough away from our room it was in that ballpark of effort in my book. I want to walk out the door & basically fall into a pool :)

One of the nicest things about DVC is the flexibility & the ability to sample all the resorts they offer.

Be determined to enjoy the unique experience and the ability to be near Disney Springs during the holiday events. There a ton of new restaurants at DS, take time to dine somewhere new each day. Take a flight in the Characters in Flight balloon. It is heavily discounted before 10 am and after than DVC members have a discount on the regular price. At night have a coke product or adult beverage on the roof top of the Coca Cola building, nice views. Check out the Goofy Candy Co. for an after dinner dessert. Take in a Disney movie at AMC or bowl at Splitsville-there is a Wednesday DVC night at Splitsville. Splurge and take a ride in one of the Amphicars next to the Boathouse Restaurant. Ride a ferry to Port Orleans where you can do a Carriage Ride.

Also if you really want to go fishing take a boat from DS to OKW, you can fish there.

We have owned at SSR for 12 years. We also own at AKV. We have always loved our SSR and with the enhancements to Disney Springs I think it's an even better location.

SSR is our home resort, we bought there before staying there because it was cheap relative to other DVC. That said, we love our home for the same reasons others have noted:

- Great pools
- Relaxing, feels close but far away
- Food court/Artists Palette (not the best but better than other resorts, OKW,Poly looking at you!)
- Disney Springs of course, opens up so many options for dining and things to do outside the parks

Last visit we spent at AKV Kidani, and when visiting Disney Springs I looked across the water and couldn't help but wish for a minute that we were at SSR.

SSR is our home resort. Truthfully, I have no idea why is gets so much bad press here. We have stayed there many times and enjoyed every visit. The only real drawback is that it's pretty far from everything except DS, but personally, I am not too bothered by that. I'm on vacation and I'd still rather be riding in an air conditioned bus than sitting at my desk wondering what disaster is going to walk in my door next.

SSR is our home resort. Truthfully, I have no idea why is gets so much bad press here. We have stayed there many times and enjoyed every visit. The only real drawback is that it's pretty far from everything except DS, but personally, I am not too bothered by that. I'm on vacation and I'd still rather be riding in an air conditioned bus than sitting at my desk wondering what disaster is going to walk in my door next.
I don't think there's much for bad press for SSR but there are realities on it's pricing and demand. It is clearly the lowest demand property at WDW and I doubt Disney Springs or the booking categories will change that much. A given person's preference is irrelevant for the overall demand, it's the preference of the masses. It's just like HH, though it's a fine resort, there are locations that are more in demand than the current location. Looking at HH the question is what would the demand and pricing be if it were on the beach and the answer is pretty clear. Just look at condo rentals for the area and compare prices and location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter