Please help me choose!!! RBT, BB or HB

SOCALMouseMommy

DIS Veteran
I have two Fantasmic dining packages booked for next week. River Bell Terrace at 4:00 and Blue Bayou at 4:20. Hungry Bear also seems to be an option since it doesn't appear "booked" (since it's a to-go option does this ever book up?).

This will be for myself, my husband and my son (not yet 3, so he will either eat off our plates or I will get him a regular kids meal, not the Fantasmic meal).

I was sort of set on RBT until I decided to check the Yelp reviews and read so many horrible reviews about the food and service. For the table service options, RBT is less expensive ($45) compared to BB ($69), but the food reviews are really putting me off (I can live with less-than-stellar service but I would prefer the food to be decent if I'm shelling out this much money).

I'd love to get some feedback from DISers who have eaten at these restaurants lately. Should I just ditch both TS reservations and go Hungry Bear instead?

I’d go to BB. But I like to eat there once a trip. So, the little extra cost for the fast pass wouldn’t bother me.

I really enjoyed the pork sandwich I had at RBT in December. I can see where some might not be as excited about the options though.

I would look over the menus and decide what you want to eat. Our service was fine.

I really enjoyed the pork sandwich I had at RBT in December. I can see where some might not be as excited about the options though.

I would look over the menus and decide what you want to eat. Our service was fine.

The RBT menu looks good to me as far as options that sound appealing. BB too. I'm just worried though because a lot of Yelp reviews say that the taste of the food at RBT is awful. I enjoyed the pulled pork sandwich at French Market, so that sounds good as well as the ribs. People are saying the food is total garbage, though, could it be that bad?

I have not done the package at RBT but we did have dinner there. Everyone in our party of 6 liked what they had, service was good. It was not my favorite in terms of atmosphere but it might've been that we sat inside - not as fun but it was hot outside ;) If you were going to have dinner at BB anyway then I would do that package, if not then RBT will be fine. I've found that people are more likely to leave a bad review than a good one.

The RBT menu looks good to me as far as options that sound appealing. BB too. I'm just worried though because a lot of Yelp reviews say that the taste of the food at RBT is awful. I enjoyed the pulled pork sandwich at French Market, so that sounds good as well as the ribs. People are saying the food is total garbage, though, could it be that bad?
With RBT, I had the corn chowder, ribs, and strawberry shortcake. Chowder was not good at all, lukewarm and flavorless. The ribs were very good, but the sides were not (green beans felt like they were barely cooked). Shortcake was just ok. Service was absolutely fine, no complaints there!

But, I would absolutely go with BB. I have done BB twice and loved the food both times. RBT was still a bit meh, and I don't plan on repeating.

Can you book the RBT dine and watch Fantastic package? That was awesome. We were worried at first that it wouldn't be a good view. It was great! We had a raised view about all the crowds. A nice table to sit at and enjoy the show. You do most of your eating before the show starts so your not distracted. RBT is mostly BBQ and we enjoy the food but it's not a must-do for us. We went to watch Fantastic without all the craziness. One thing, if you happen to be sat at one of the 2 tables they had rather far back on the patio (during our experience anyway) your view would not be awesome. I think I would have been upset to pay for the experience and had those tables. But most tables were awesome. Get their early and check in early. Better chance at a better table.

With RBT, I had the corn chowder, ribs, and strawberry shortcake. Chowder was not good at all, lukewarm and flavorless. The ribs were very good, but the sides were not (green beans felt like they were barely cooked). Shortcake was just ok. Service was absolutely fine, no complaints there!

But, I would absolutely go with BB. I have done BB twice and loved the food both times. RBT was still a bit meh, and I don't plan on repeating.

Thank you for this review. That is actually they exact meal I was considering when I first looked at the menu. Sad the corn chowder is meh because the corn chower at French market is yummy!

Now I need to decide if I'm going to splurge on BB or just go Hungry Bear I think.

Can you book the RBT dine and watch Fantastic package? That was awesome. We were worried at first that it wouldn't be a good view. It was great! We had a raised view about all the crowds. A nice table to sit at and enjoy the show. You do most of your eating before the show starts so your not distracted. RBT is mostly BBQ and we enjoy the food but it's not a must-do for us. We went to watch Fantastic without all the craziness. One thing, if you happen to be sat at one of the 2 tables they had rather far back on the patio (during our experience anyway) your view would not be awesome. I think I would have been upset to pay for the experience and had those tables. But most tables were awesome. Get their early and check in early. Better chance at a better table.

I would love this but as I'm booking last minute there isn't an availability.

Thank you for this review. That is actually they exact meal I was considering when I first looked at the menu. Sad the corn chowder is meh because the corn chower at French market is yummy!

Now I need to decide if I'm going to splurge on BB or just go Hungry Bear I think.
Yeah, I was expecting it to be really good too because I love the version at French Market! I also remember having it there when packages were first started back in 2014 and it was delicious. So I don't know if they've changed things up or what?

No reviews on the hungry bear option...? I feel like with a 3 yo and a 6 yo it’s my best option but don’t want to spend $100 on wasted food if it’s terrible.

No reviews on the hungry bear option...? I feel like with a 3 yo and a 6 yo it’s my best option but don’t want to spend $100 on wasted food if it’s terrible.

I know what you mean. I have read mixed reviewed on HB but at least it's cheaper. I view it as just paying for a place to watch Fantasmic and getting something that's at least edible!

We did the BB package two days ago, and I'm glad we did. I've been so anxious to see the new F! show and it just hasn't been possible until now. It is expensive -- no doubt about that -- but if you can manage it, I think you'll be very pleased. I went with my husband, who is not a super big DL fan. (I usually go with my sister, and we see more eye to eye.) But even DH enjoyed his meal and the show very much. I had the bone-in rib-eye and he had the surf & turf. Both delicious. We arrived 45 minutes before the show to get our seats. There were already people there seated along the very front row at that time, but I'd heard that sitting a bit back gave you a better view, and it does! (There is the wrought iron railing at the front that you would have to look through it you are right up front.) So we were three "rows" or people back, and we had an absolute perfect central view. (People kind of arrange themselves so that they can see around each other.)

Anyhow, that's how it worked for us. It was just great and the new version of Fantasmic did not disappoint!

We did the BB package two days ago, and I'm glad we did. I've been so anxious to see the new F! show and it just hasn't been possible until now. It is expensive -- no doubt about that -- but if you can manage it, I think you'll be very pleased. I went with my husband, who is not a super big DL fan. (I usually go with my sister, and we see more eye to eye.) But even DH enjoyed his meal and the show very much. I had the bone-in rib-eye and he had the surf & turf. Both delicious. We arrived 45 minutes before the show to get our seats. There were already people there seated along the very front row at that time, but I'd heard that sitting a bit back gave you a better view, and it does! (There is the wrought iron railing at the front that you would have to look through it you are right up front.) So we were three "rows" or people back, and we had an absolute perfect central view. (People kind of arrange themselves so that they can see around each other.)

Anyhow, that's how it worked for us. It was just great and the new version of Fantasmic did not disappoint!

Thank you for sharing! I haven't seen Fantasmic since it first debuted over 20 years ago so I'm really looking forward to the show itself!

We did the RBT package last summer and were disappointed. The food was pretty mediocre. They also sat us outside and then rushed us through our meal because they needed the take for the upgraded viewing. If we do the package again, we’re splurging for BB.

Thank you all for your feedback! I ended up doing the Hungry Bear package and I am very happy with my choice. I wish the food was better but oh well. The seating was fantastic! Here's my report that I just posted in the Fantasmic Dining Package Discussion Thread:

SOCALMouseMommyDIS Veteran
I did the Hungry Bear package tonight. I had a reservation for 6:30 but I showed up at 6:00 and it was no problem. Overall I found the package to be a good value. I didn't like my food that much. I had the riblets, which are basically pork ribs on the bone, cut into 3-inch pieces. The sauce was too sweet for my taste. Same with the rice accompaniment ... very sweet. The salad was fine. The riblets were difficult/awkward to eat. I felt it was a very small portion. I did the Aladdin's Oasis to go package for the MSEP and it was far superior in both taste and potion size. I wish they would go back to Aladdin.

The seating for Fantasmic was great! We were front and very close to center. We were all seated on the ground. I showed up 20 minutes before the show and sat in the very back of the section and had a great view, no complaints at all. Fantasmic itself was AMAZING. I was blown away. I will definitely do this package again but I'll either try the BBQ chicken or just sub out for a cheeseburger and fries off the regular menu.

Thank you all for your feedback! I ended up doing the Hungry Bear package and I am very happy with my choice. I wish the food was better but oh well. The seating was fantastic! Here's my report that I just posted in the Fantasmic Dining Package Discussion Thread:

SOCALMouseMommyDIS Veteran
I did the Hungry Bear package tonight. I had a reservation for 6:30 but I showed up at 6:00 and it was no problem. Overall I found the package to be a good value. I didn't like my food that much. I had the riblets, which are basically pork ribs on the bone, cut into 3-inch pieces. The sauce was too sweet for my taste. Same with the rice accompaniment ... very sweet. The salad was fine. The riblets were difficult/awkward to eat. I felt it was a very small portion. I did the Aladdin's Oasis to go package for the MSEP and it was far superior in both taste and potion size. I wish they would go back to Aladdin.

The seating for Fantasmic was great! We were front and very close to center. We were all seated on the ground. I showed up 20 minutes before the show and sat in the very back of the section and had a great view, no complaints at all. Fantasmic itself was AMAZING. I was blown away. I will definitely do this package again but I'll either try the BBQ chicken or just sub out for a cheeseburger and fries off the regular menu.
Thanks for the review! We are doing HB next week and good to know what to order (or what not to order).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter