• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POFQ disabled access room frustrations

dclfun

DIS Veteran
Well, I've just discovered another resort where I can no longer stay...Port Orleans French Quarter. First, after calling three times to confirm that my reservation was for an accessible room with a tub and handrails, I received first a non-disabled access room. After going back to the front desk, a tiring task when you drive with a joystick and have to get in/out of a ramp van, I was then assigned to the room which I had requested. Unfortunately, this room wasn't accessible either! There was a toilet and tub, very close together, and a wall right next to the toilet. If someone needs to transfer they'd have to go headfirst into the tub and not be able to get a chair next to the toilet for a sideways transfer either. After calling back again I was told that this type of room is "basically for someone who is ambulatory but just needs rails for stability". There was no other room to move us to on property, so I had to leave the resort, drive home exhausted, and miss the Very Merry Christmas party also, leaving my adult daughter to entertain our out of state relatives at another resort and her younger siblings. To follow up I called Special Services reservations who thought the room was accessible because the doorway was wider but as most of us know, that doesn't necessarily meet the needs of all disabled guests. The reservations agent also said that in their opinion, it was not supposed to be merely for ambulatory guests but also for those confined to a chair-in opposition to the information given by the resort manager. For anyone needing one, they do have rooms with roll-in showers there, but since I cannot risk moisture to my equipment this type of room was unacceptable to me. The next day we checked into Old Key West which is my all-time favorite and easiest for me to maneuver in so I finally joined my family and guests after driving back to WDW. This now brings the total that I know of to six resorts that aren't accessible to someone with similar needs- Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Boardwalk Inn, POFQ and POR ( I was told those rooms are the same). Just thought I'd pass along this information since it certainly wasn't available to me prior to arriving and having to check out- thank goodness I live an hour away! Kathy

Kathy, could you rent a shower chair and use that in the roll-in showers? I can't remember your specific circumstances but maybe that is an option.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am attached to a ventilator and feeding pump and am not stable enough to sit in a chair other than the custom one I have. It really makes it challenging to find accomodations that "work". Fortunately we are DVC members which is why I had the stay booked at Old Key West, where I know I won't have a problem. I like to try other resorts though so I often book a short stay at a different, non-DVC resort prior - fortunately the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs, and Contemporary work out well for other choices. I guess my point is that everyone's needs are different and I wish Special Services was better able to answer specific questions about the resort rooms, such as space between the beds, height of the beds, turning radius space available in the bathroom, etc. which for some folks is an essential to know beforehand. Kathy

It's really in-ecuseable (I'm sure that's not spelled quite right, but I can't locate spell check) that the Special Reservations people can't give more guidace on this.
In a perfect world, they would be able to tell you exactly what was in each room and email pictures and floor plans (with measurements of all the things Kathy mentioned) so you could tell whether or not the room could accomidate your needs. It would be pretty easy for them to set up a database for their operators so that they can tell with a keystroke exactly what is in a particular room.
Even with the exact same room, it sometimes matters whether the space is on the right side of the toilet or the left side. And I know there are people besides Kathy who are not ambulatory but want or need a tub.

Our favorite is OKW because even if the setup isn't perfect, you've got all that extra space to work with.

SueM in MN said:
In a perfect world, they would be able to tell you exactly what was in each room and email pictures and floor plans (with measurements of all the things Kathy mentioned) so you could tell whether or not the room could accomidate your needs. It would be pretty easy for them to set up a database for their operators so that they can tell with a keystroke exactly what is in a particular room.
Even with the exact same room, it sometimes matters whether the space is on the right side of the toilet or the left side. And I know there are people besides Kathy who are not ambulatory but want or need a tub.

I have attempted to get such information but the Special res. people say such information is not available because of security concerns....AWWWWWWW...I couldn't believe it!

videogal1 said:
I have attempted to get such information but the Special res. people say such information is not available because of security concerns....AWWWWWWW...I couldn't believe it!
Now, that's interesting!!!
I can see not giving out specific room numbers (although just because Disney doesn't give them out doesn't mean they are not available).
I'd like to know how much less secure you would be if you had a picture of the bathroom so you could see whether or not the bathroom set up will work for you! :confused:

Lynda- I've had the same response, which I truly don't understand. I'm trying to find someone in that department that I can speak with to let them know why this information is helpful and why specific details should be made available. Don't know how far I'll get, but I really want to help with these issues so none of us ever has to face such a scenario. Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter