Poll regarding unit requests...what do you think?

What is more important to you as a DVC owner?

• Getting into a room ASAP

• I am willing to wait longer (up to 4pm) in order to have my or my fellow guests requests accomodated

Results are only viewable after voting.

ATCMickey

Flying to new highs
Hi all,

I just finished several DVC stays (10/7-9 BCV, 10/9-15 OKW, 10/15-22 DCL, and 10/22-23 BCV). At the beginning of my OKW stay I was given some information from the OKW desk manager that I have never heard (been a DVC member since 1994).

To be brief...here's the background. We usually make unit requests as part of our reservation (not uncommon for members to do). This vacation we reserved a 1 Bdrm at OKW. Before you flame me, I fully understand that all requests are just that...REQUESTS...and nothing is guaranteed. Our requests for this stay were no smoking, non handicapped, and close to the hospitality house. Again, I fully understand that these are requests that may/may not be accomodated. This reservation was made on the exact day we were within 11 months. That is to say, it was made exactly 11 months in advance. Additionally, as we were already on Disney grounds, we arrived at check in relatively early hoping that might help in getting some of our requests (got to OKW front desk at 11:30 am). In short, the unit we were given only accomodated 1 of our 3 requests and wouldn't be ready until 4:00pm.

Now on to the issue...

Since 1994, I've always been told that the request system works as follows: requests are honored in the order they are made and based on availability. I believe this to be true because several years ago we made a booking at the 11 month window (with requests) and then had to change the unit size 5 months in advance. We were told that they would have to re-book us for the larger unit but that our requests would be based on booking 5 months in advance rather than 11. I understood and was perfectly OK with that.

So this trip having booked exactly 11 months in advance, having made no changes to the reservation since, and having arrived relatively early for check-in, I was confused/curious as to what caused them to be unable to honor so many requests. I asked to speak with the front desk manager in hopes that he/she might be able to educate me. I was polite at all times. I spoke with Tatiana. I inquired as to how the request process worked. I told Tatiana that member services had previously explained the process as: assuming such units are available on that day of check-in, that they will be assigned on a first request basis. That is, someone reqeusting a no-smoking room 11 months in advance would be given priority over someone requesting no-smoking 4 months in advance.

Tatiana told me that the policy I described officially changed about 2 years ago based on their guest survey. Having been a member for over 11 years and never having received a written, email, or verbal survey, I asked "what survey?". She said that it was based on feedback from their front desk staff regarding guest preference for unit assignment. Tatiana proceeded to describe the new policy as follows: Guests had indicated that is was more important to them to get into a unit as soon as possible rather than wait to get their requests honored. As a result, getting a guest into a unit ASAP now takes precedent over the fact that another guest might have had a request specified. So to clarify, I asked Tatiana the following: "So let's say I make a request for a non-smoking room 11 months in advance and another guest books 1 week in advance and makes no request for smoking preference. We are both requesting 1 bdrm units and staying the exact same dates. Additionally, let's say that on the check-in day in question there is a non-smoking room that is available. If the guest that booked 1 week ago and made no request shows up at 10:45am and I show up at 11:00am with request in hand, you're going to give the room to the guest that arrived at 10:45am?". Tatiana responded "that's right because our guests have told us that getting into a room ASAP is more important than having their requests honored".

I guess I wonder why even have a request system at all. Moreover, I always thought assignments to rooms were done several days in advance to try to accomodate requests but it would appear that that does not come into play because priority has shifted to getting guests into any room ASAP. On my return I called member services to verify the information Tatiana had given me. I talked to Kevin who forwarded the question to his supervisor, Todd Smith. I was told that two years ago Disney resorts conducted a random survey with a survey pool of all Disney resort guests. The results came back that Disney guests preferred to have their rooms ready more than have their requests honored. As a result, Disney madated that all resorts comply with the policy of giving priority to getting a guest into their room ASAP over any potential room requests that might be on file. ***Understand what I just relayed...Disney conducted a survey with a pool of ALL guests (Carribean Beach, Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, etc.) and the survey results were mandated on ALL resorts (including DVC). Kevin told me that DVC tried to argue that they should not have to comply with that mandate as they were a time share resort and different from the rest of the Disney's resorts and guests. Kevin told me that in spite of that, Disney mandated that DVC comply.

I relayed to Kevin that I would view that policy as a significant change worthy of sending out to members. He stated that he did not view that policy as a significant change as "all requests are just that, REQUESTS". I tend to think we, as DVC owners and regulars, probably care far more about our requests than the 1 time Disney Coronado Springs guest. I also think we stay longer so that the inconvenience of not accomodating requests is more pronounced, but maybe I'm wrong.

What's your take? Would you rather get into a unit ASAP or would you be willing to wait longer (up to the guaranteed 4:00pm availability) in order to have your and/or your fellow guests requests accomodated? I'd like to know if maybe I'm in the minority on this view.

Sorry for the long post. I think this policy is significant (even if DVC does not) and wanted to forward it on to others.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

ATCMickey

I experienced exactly the same thing..Booked 11 months out at 9 AM. Asked for n/s and top floor. Arrived at 11:30 and was given ground floor. I told the CM ground floor was a no go as it was my DD and myself and to me that is not safe. ( I don't feel these resorts supply any security since anyone can hop a Disney bus and wander the resort) They were kind enough to move me. TO THE ONLY STUDIO IN THE ENTIRE VWL WITHOUT A BALCONY!
By then my BP was though the roof and I was moved again but very disgusted! I did report this to the administrative offices at Disney but I am certain for naught! :confused3

We're never in our room so ASAP all the way.

BTW: we just got back from OKW and got our request for top floor, water view. Apparently, to Disney this can also be translated to, Top Floor, Abandoned Sewage Plant View also.

Special Note to Old Key West'ers, STAY AWAY FROM BUILDING 44!!!!!! :crazy2:

Not saying that this poll is flawed, but how many have just gotten off a cross country flight and have not eaten since the Yesterday?

When you arrive at the resort some priorities may not be exactly the same as when posting on DISBOARDS.

I have yet to make a request at any of the resorts I have stayed at so far and I have been happy with what I have. I guess just being there makes me happy and I am easy to please :)

ETA:
Next year we are planning on staying Lagoon view of the GF. I think I will request a MK view for this one! That is something I really want which is the whole reason I am using extra points for lagoon view.

In my case it would depend on which requests I would be giving up.

- I would wait a very long time for a non-smoking room rather than take a smoking room that's ready now.

- Depending on how tired I was, whether I had early dinner ADRs, etc., I might wait a short amount of time to get a higher floor rather than ground floor room that's ready now.

-I would probably accept an available room in a different part of the resort than I had requested rather than wait for a room in the area I preferred.

LisaS said:
In my case it would depend on which requests I would be giving up.

ReREAD the choices in the poll, even if you had no requests Would you be willing to wait hours so other guests can get their requests filled?

I really think it should be split in 2.

Lake Ariel....thanks for the kind wishes about my dd on the other thread.

As far as this thread....I am going to take this one step further. I think people staying at their HOME RESORT ought to get preference over people at non-home resorts, and I think owners ought to get preference over non-owners.

And, just to add to Lake Ariel's story...my mom was a new owner of VWL when, on her first trip "home" she received the one studio w/o a balcony. She went down to the front desk where the CM told her flat-out that members were not able to change rooms after they had entered them (didn't even mention the $25 "change fee"). I am sure this room is a problem for them, but it shouldn't go to an owner at their home resort! I think there ought to be "advantages" to staying at your home resort. SSR people get Congress Park rooms, BCV people get Epcot views, BWV people get sv and bw view preferences, OKW people get near the hospitality house (and upper floors), and VWL owners should get the quiet pool/upper floor rooms with a BALCONY!!!!!

Owners of a really expensive timeshare should be last ones to get the "leftover" rooms, or not have requests met.

And....we should NEVER hear of owners being forced into smoking rooms....that should only be a "renter" thing...if, it is needed to ever happen at all!!!

:wave:

Beca

One more thing....I have NEVER been able to get into a room before 4:30PM, and I have never had all my requests met (I have received n/s, n/ha....but, I have NEVER received a view request)....so, for me the room ready policy seems to be a "bust" all the way around...no requests met, and no "room ready".

Beca

Beca said:
One more thing....I have NEVER been able to get into a room before 4:30PM, and I have never had all my requests met (I have received n/s, n/ha....but, I have NEVER received a view request)....so, for me the room ready policy seems to be a "bust" all the way around...no requests met, and no "room ready".

Beca

We've only checked into DVC three times (only been members that long) and all three times we got our room with preferences at 9:30 a.m.. We stay off site the night before we check in.

I keep thinking that we're just lucky but I have to believe that maybe the earlier the better. All three times it's been a 2-bedroom also. I think they must be vacant the night before. Also, we always check in on Saturday.

Go figure :confused3

New DVC member, but 10-year Disney traveler, just so you have my background.

While I see your point, I guess I come down on the other side of this issue. The ONLY request we've ever made that will make/break a trip for me is a non-smoking room. As my entire family is sensitive to it, a smoking room would really damage my trip. Other than that, I make no requests and am happy with whatever room we get, as long as it is clean. Good views or location is a bonus, but never expected. If I really want a certain location or view, I expect to have to pay for it, and since I don't spend that extra money (I will NEVER pay for or use more points for a "view") it's just gravy if I get it.

What I DO enjoy, however, is being able to get into my room as soon as I check in. I currently travel with a 3-year-old and an almost-5-year-old, so I don't particularly enjoy cooling my heels in the lobby or food court while I wait for my room to be ready. I typically like to unpack and settle in as soon as I arrive. I know I can drop my bags and head to the park, but who wants to get back after an evening or late night in the park, find our room for the first time (hoping it's clean and properly readied), wait for bags to be brought, unpack, all before you can get sleepy kids into a bath and pj's? Not me. I prefer to take any room (non-smoking for medical reasons) that is ready and be able to settle in before heading off to the parks.

While a room "close" to the pool or food courts is a bonus, I really can't see that the distance makes that big a difference over the course of my trip. Either way, my feet are going to hurt by the time I go home, whether my room was right next to the food court or the farthest away!

I guess I'm just happy to be in my happy place and figure since I'm not paying extra I can't assume I'll get any extras.

Happy to wait UNTIL 4:00 for my room request, or to wait until everyone is satisfied. But, our last stay at SSR it wasn't until 6:00pm that our room was ready...completely unacceptable. Even though we did get our request, we didn't have luggage or a chance to change clothes before heading out to Cirque de Soleil that evening.

I've only been to WDW three times...Disney Institute, OKW and SSR. I've been very lucky and thankful to receive non-smoking rooms each time, which I'd wait as long as necessary due to asthma.

Normally non-smoking is my only request. I did request Congress Park on our last trip and received that too. We are flying across the country so we aren't don't check in until around 7PM.

I'd like to be assured of getting my non-smoking request, and I'd like to be in my room at 4 PM. That being said, the last 3 trips it has been closer to 5 when we have gotten our room asignment. I don't mind though, as long as I get the non-smoking.

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, but it sounded like a negative point that you didn't get your room "until 4 pm." Since that's the posted check-in time, I wouldn't expect anything else. If the hotel was full, (sounds like it was busy, due to room ready process) it takes awhile to clean all those rooms.

Personally, I think the whole world has gotten way too picky and expecting too much. The 11 month window is to give you a jump on getting the resort you want, and even that could go away. For me, I just ask for N/S (and half the time, forget to ask, but then MS reminds me), and decide to be happy. You know what? We always get wonderful rooms! Maybe the CM's are relieved there isn't a demanding person there; maybe my expectations are zilch so whatever I get is perfectly acceptable. When we were at VWL last time, the CM even gave me a map and a choice of rooms. Honestly, I think that attitude is everything.

The other part of this problem is the internet and guidebooks. For instance, now everyone at POR requests The Mansions, etc. What used to be accidental pixie dust becomes an expectation...then disappointment. It would be a better place if people tried to keep requests to real issues (ie. close to elevator for mobility, n/s for sensitivities, etc). JMHO

Anewman said:
ReREAD the choices in the poll, even if you had no requests Would you be willing to wait hours so other guests can get their requests filled?

I really think it should be split in 2.
I did READ the choices in the poll. Option 2 states "I am willing to wait longer (up to 4pm) in order to have my or my fellow guests requests accomodated". By "my fellow guests", I thought that meant the others in my party, not other guests of the resort. So perhaps the OP should rewrite option 2 to be less ambiguous so we can be sure what is being asked.

If I had no requests, then I would be surprised if I had to wait hours since I'm not asking for anything special -- just any available room. Seems like in that case I could be accommodated easily and quickly. So I guess if that's what was meant by option 2 then my answer would be "No" I would not be willing to wait hours so that other guests get their many requests filled while I, who asked for nothing, have to wait.

I haven't voted as it would depend on my circumstances. For a short trip - say 2-3 days I think I would sooner be in the room asap. For a longer trip - say 2 weeks - I would definitely wait to get a room I wanted.

Having said that, any DVC room is a good thing as far as I'm concerned :)

Beca said:
Lake Ariel....thanks for the kind wishes about my dd on the other thread.

As far as this thread....I am going to take this one step further. I think people staying at their HOME RESORT ought to get preference over people at non-home resorts, and I think owners ought to get preference over non-owners.

And, just to add to Lake Ariel's story...my mom was a new owner of VWL when, on her first trip "home" she received the one studio w/o a balcony. She went down to the front desk where the CM told her flat-out that members were not able to change rooms after they had entered them (didn't even mention the $25 "change fee"). I am sure this room is a problem for them, but it shouldn't go to an owner at their home resort! I think there ought to be "advantages" to staying at your home resort. SSR people get Congress Park rooms, BCV people get Epcot views, BWV people get sv and bw view preferences, OKW people get near the hospitality house (and upper floors), and VWL owners should get the quiet pool/upper floor rooms with a BALCONY!!!!!

Owners of a really expensive timeshare should be last ones to get the "leftover" rooms, or not have requests met.

And....we should NEVER hear of owners being forced into smoking rooms....that should only be a "renter" thing...if, it is needed to ever happen at all!!!

Beca
That was a horrible "welcome home" for your Mom! I hope she contacted DVC directly. There are those that don't understand why an owner should get preference...After spending almost 18,000 cash for my points at VWL and paying annual dues for maintence each and every month that is ONE entitlement I believe we deserve! Someone paying 70 % of the rack rate renting points should not be getting a prime location at the expense of an owner in good standing who reserved their room 11 months out! Period.

Beca said:
As far as this thread....I am going to take this one step further. I think people staying at their HOME RESORT ought to get preference over people at non-home resorts, and I think owners ought to get preference over non-owners...

... I think there ought to be "advantages" to staying at your home resort. SSR people get Congress Park rooms, BCV people get Epcot views, BWV people get sv and bw view preferences, OKW people get near the hospitality house (and upper floors), and VWL owners should get the quiet pool/upper floor rooms with a BALCONY!!!!!

Beca

I agree 99.999% of the time. The .001% of the time that I DON'T agree is when I want a good room somewhere other than my home resort! :banana:

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I structured the poll the way I did with the following thinking in mind: DVC obviously has to have a policy one way or the other. Either getting a room ASAP is first priority or accomodating requests is first priority. There can only be one first priority.

I feel the same way as others...sometimes it's important to me to get a room ASAP and sometimes I can wait if it means my requests can be accomodated. But for me to ask DVC to have a policy that accomdates me one trip when I feel one way and another when I feel another would understandably be unreasonable. Therefore, I intentionally left it one way or the other. I know DVC needs to set a priority (room ASAP or accomodating requests). Sometimes it will be convenient and other times it won't. I just think the poll question needs to be an all or nothing. To respond to comments, I just don't know how DVC could set up a policy that would give those with no requests one priority and those with requests another. Maybe something could be done to make no-smoking a priority but what is truly important to each person varies dramatically. In any case, I did not mean to wait for the rest of your party, I meant to wait for both our and our fellow DVC members requests to be honored. I would hope no one would suggest a double standard (i.e. one for me and one for everyone else). I certainly could not support an "I'll wait for me to get my requests but not for anyone else" menataility. If requests are to be honored first, then we have to be willing to wait...whether it's ours or someone else's. We're all in this together.

I never EXPECT anything regarding requests as they are just that, REQUESTS. I would just like to understand the ground rules when I'm making reservations. Should the need arise to change those procedures, I would like to be allowed input or at the very least be notified when they change.

I don't think that's too much to ask but maybe I'm being unreasonable. I'm not trying to be negative about the whole experience, it was just the first time I had ever heard of this policy and it supposedly has been in place for two years. Just trying to make others aware of it and solicit you opinions. Fire away and thanks again for your input.

ATCMickey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter