Poll: What would you pay for VDH Resale?

What would you pay for VDH Resale?

• Less than 100 per point

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • 100-110 per point

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • 110-120 per point

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 120-130 per point

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • 130-140 per point

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • 140-150 per point

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • 150-160 per point

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 160-170 per point

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Over 170 per point

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I wouldn't take it if it were free

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
I own at both VGC and VDH. I love the location of VGC, but the villas are in such dire need for a refurb that I am looking forward to staying at VDH more than VGC in 2024 and maybe the first half of 2025. I love the new tower even more after staying there back in Oct. The TOT is a fact of life for any hotel stay for DLR (except VGC) so it doesn’t bother me.
Would I buy resale at VDH? I don’t know. I own resale at RIV as I love that resort. But the inability to use the points elsewhere has become an inconvenience (as in having to borrow a few points on my other contracts because I hate borrowing) so that I am currently considering buying direct with the current incentives and stripping then selling the resale contract.
Maybe if I find I need more points at VDH for 11-month booking then I may consider resale. And it would be for 100 points or less, when there would be no incentive to buy direct. Then maybe I would consider a discounted price of 60% of direct pricing.

I waffled on answer. I wouldn't necessarily pay for it, but if someone wanted to give it to me, I'd probably not say no. Voted I wouldn't take it for free since I'd never pay for it at any amount.

What happened to the consensus though that restrictions wouldn't have much bearing if any on VDH since people would self restrict anyways and only use VDH points at VDH making the restrictions kind of moot?
Flights to Hawaii are relatively cheap and easy from the west coast. As a west coaster, I wouldn’t want to own points I couldn’t use at aulani.

I own at both VGC and VDH. I love the location of VGC, but the villas are in such dire need for a refurb that I am looking forward to staying at VDH more than VGC in 2024 and maybe the first half of 2025. I love the new tower even more after staying there back in
On our last trip we met up with some friends staying at VGC. After seeing our suite at VDH they said they felt like they were staying in a motel 6. Also commented on how dark their room was in comparison to how bright our room was.
VGC is in drastic need of a refurb. I wasn't overly impressed with the room when we stayed there on cash awhile back. We actually preferred the rooms at DLH over GCH. It is a nice hotel, and the location is fantastic, the dining is great, but the rooms left a bit to be desired. Hopefully they fix that in the upcoming refurb.

That’s why we own at both. VDH for VDH and AUL for Aulani. Aulani can be had so cheap as well on the resale market. We recently added on 250+ at around $90 a point.
We own at Aulani too, but I still would have a hard time owning points that couldn’t occasionally be used at Aulani or Disney World (I definitely wouldn’t want more than around a 50 point resale contract). My personal opinion is that it makes more sense for the average owner to buy VDH direct over resale while they have the chance so they can be used for other trips too—these contracts span a lot of years and flexibility for the unforeseen is always nice!

Just curious, would you have chosen VDH resale at $110 a point over your direct VDH?

I was mildly intrigued by VDH, but the TOT and crazy dues increase happening puts me off of even considering it. I buy to keep long-term, so the initial point cost, while not NOT a factor, the TOT and dues are the longer cost that has to be factored in. Seems like more of a headache for a sporadic trip cycle.

We own at Aulani too, but I still would have a hard time owning points that couldn’t occasionally be used at Aulani or Disney World (I definitely wouldn’t want more than around a 50 point resale contract). My personal opinion is that it makes more sense for the average owner to buy VDH direct over resale while they have the chance so they can be used for other trips too—these contracts span a lot of years and flexibility for the unforeseen is always nice!

Just curious, would you have chosen VDH resale at $110 a point over your direct VDH?
If we could have bought 500 points resale at $110 than yes we would have bought over direct. But we also didn’t want to wait however long for that many points to show up on the resale market. Florida is not an issue for us, it just has little appeal. Over the course of a year we make 3-4 trips to DLR totalling 21-24 days all added up. We’ve been staying at CGH or DLH so the cash rooms were adding up.

If we could have bought 500 points resale at $110 than yes we would have bought over direct. But we also didn’t want to wait however long for that many points to show up on the resale market. Florida is not an issue for us, it just has little appeal. Over the course of a year we make 3-4 trips to DLR totalling 21-24 days all added up. We’ve been staying at CGH or DLH so the cash rooms were adding up.
That makes sense! And I’m sure there will be others who share your thought process.

The cost structure is attractive when compared to cash rates. Although, I’m sure you have access to Magic Key discounts for room rates…

The cost structure is attractive when compared to cash rates. Although, I’m sure you have access to Magic Key discounts for room rates…
Yes, we are magic key holders.

Our kids are little, but reality is we have maybe 10-12 years of these trips before they're onto college, so we want to maximize the trips now when they're young. We broke down the VDH points into 150 increments to pass along to the kids (if they want them) or sell them off down the line. Honestly we're just looking at holding these for 20-25 years, we'll have more than recouped our cost by then. I can't see being in my 80s and wanting to spend 20 days a year at DLR (maybe Aulani though, we ran into an older couple there on our last visit who were halfway into a month long stay on points).

I voted for around $100 a point. It would have to be cheap enough to balance out the high dues and TOT. You do have to factor in TOT with resale VDH as you can only stay there with your points.

I’m totally intrigued by the idea of FL families having some points with guaranteed access to CA but only on occasion. Clearly VGC points are way too expensive to use for SAP, but if they were somewhat more reasonably priced we would do that in a heartbeat. We definitely considered VDH because my sister used to live in AZ (she’s temporarily abroad) but decided we just couldn’t get over the location vs. VGC.

Realistically if we wanted 4 days in a 2BD in the summer (for us) or 3-5 days in a 1BD during less crowded times (for my sister) we’d be talking about 200-300ish points per trip. So at a minimum we’d want to buy 150 points just in case.

Man, I wish we could just win the lottery...

I was low just because I'm not super interested at this point. But I do a lot of spreadsheets comparing profitability, and I show that for:
  • $200/point, you're getting a similar value to Grand Cal at average resale of $268/point
  • $170/point, you're getting a similar value to Grand Floridian at average resale of $145/point. I compare to Grand Flo only because I show VDH is a similar distance from Disneyland to the Villas building from Magic Kingdom.
I think people forget that, in general, real estate is more valuable in Cali than Florida. And the hotel rates are higher at Disneyland than WDW, so you're generally getting more 'value' for your points out in Cali.

Good case for direct points, & only use them in CA once in a while, but being able to use them in Orlando as well is nice (without the ToT)

I was low just because I'm not super interested at this point. But I do a lot of spreadsheets comparing profitability, and I show that for:
  • $200/point, you're getting a similar value to Grand Cal at average resale of $268/point
  • $170/point, you're getting a similar value to Grand Floridian at average resale of $145/point. I compare to Grand Flo only because I show VDH is a similar distance from Disneyland to the Villas building from Magic Kingdom.
I think people forget that, in general, real estate is more valuable in Cali than Florida. And the hotel rates are higher at Disneyland than WDW, so you're generally getting more 'value' for your points out in Cali.
When I was contemplating VDH (at $230), I had it equal to around $290 at VGC for 50-100 points.

Also too bad we can't just use WDW points in CA (technically), that's the value everyone is looking for, & currently trying to use while they still can!!

Last edited:
Given the decent cheap options within walking distance (closer than VDH even!) and the pittance of on site benefits at DL, I really need it to pencil out for me to buy it.

At just the dues+tax, it simply doesn’t pencil out for me. I would probably still buy it if it were CHEAP because it’s very nice but it would have to be very inexpensive.

And the hotel rates are higher at Disneyland than WDW, so you're generally getting more 'value' for your points out in Cali.
I don’t agree with this, because the off site options are so much better at Disneyland. They’re just as walkable as the onsite properties and you don’t lose LL priority or a useful EE period like you do at WDW.

Any disadvantage offsite guests had is ending in January when they go back to the parks alternating EE. If you’re offsite, just rope drop on the days the other park has EE and you’ll be with the on site crowd.

Ahead of them, actually, because they’ll all be stuck in the DTD or GCH security queues as you breeze on in from Harbor.

I don’t agree with this, because the off site options are so much better at Disneyland. They’re just as walkable as the onsite properties and you don’t lose LL priority or a useful EE period like you do at WDW.
I’m not an expert on Disneyland, but I’ve read Swan and Dolphin are even better than the Good Neighbor resorts. So, just for comparison, makes me question paying more for Riviera than for VDH when Riviera is competing with Swan and Dolphin, where you can literally walk to two theme parks.

Any disadvantage offsite guests had is ending in January when they go back to the parks alternating EE. If you’re offsite, just rope drop on the days the other park has EE and you’ll be with the on site crowd.

Ahead of them, actually, because they’ll all be stuck in the DTD or GCH security queues as you breeze on in from Harbor.
It’s wild to me how they are doing this and not even extending EE back to an hour. It’s already so hard to get through security from the Grand Californian to take advantage of the 30 minutes—no idea how they plan on handling the volume if they are being funneled into one park.

It’s wild to me how they are doing this and not even extending EE back to an hour. It’s already so hard to get through security from the Grand Californian to take advantage of the 30 minutes—no idea how they plan on handling the volume if they are being funneled into one park.
Not with the Paradise Pier entrance…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter