Poll: Your Riviera Resale price

At what price would you buy Riviera on the resale market (Be limited to staying only at Riviera)?

• $160

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • $150

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • $140

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • $130

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • $120

Votes: 40 10.2%
  • $110

Votes: 28 7.1%
  • $100

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Under $90

Votes: 210 53.4%

• Total voters
That's awesome. I really hope that's the case with the Skyliner. That would be a game changer IMO.

You made me curious, so I went down and asked. Apparently, they only shut them down here if there is lightening within a 3 miles radius. Since the lighting was a ways off, they didn’t shut them down yesterday. She said they rarely shut down because the lightening is usually concentrated further away. Granted, this is Colorado and not Florida, but there you have it.

What inside info do you have??? I'd be shocked if Disney takes it no matter what the price, especially if they really are struggling a bit with Rivera direct sales.

Edited to make some sense!

If I could share it I would. The only thing I'll say is there IS in fact a contract out there that was up for sale, but I can't share the rest. It will become public once it hits the county website.

You made me curious, so I went down and asked. Apparently, they only shut them down here if there is lightening within a 3 miles radius. Since the lighting was a ways off, they didn’t shut them down yesterday. She said they rarely shut down because the lightening is usually concentrated further away. Granted, this is Colorado and not Florida, but there you have it.

So - Disney's Pool and Boat rules are shut down when Lightning is within 6 miles. At this stage it is unknown if the Gondola will be the same, or if they will have more leeway. (To me the hazard is greater for pools and boats.)

Does anyone know what the Monorail policy is? I would think they would run the gondolas like the monorail.

I literally rode a gondola yesterday in thunder, rain, lightening, and wind in Colorado and lived to tell about it. This was going down about 1500 ft too! It wasn’t terrifying, death defying, and uncomfortable. They don’t need to shut them down during this kind of weather even if they choose to do so. Shockingly, we were fine. If they do choose to shut them down during this kind of weather, it’ll be just like WL with the boats. During bad weather, you take the busses. Why is it so acceptable for WL during such weather but such a deal breaker for Riviera? :confused3
Chances are your safer in the gondola cab than walking around on the ground, because your sitting in a cab surrounded by metal, that is connected to a metal cable, that is connected to a tower that is grounded.

https://www.mos.org/live-presentations/lightning
Bigger danger is that lighting hits one of the engines/machines that turns the the cables and is overloaded and shuts down, thus everyone on the system gets stuck.

Chances are your safer in the gondola cab than walking around on the ground, because your sitting in a cab surrounded by metal, that is connected to a metal wire, that is connected to a tower that is grounded.

https://www.mos.org/live-presentations/lightning
But the difference is Disney is liable for you getting struck by lightning on the skyliner. On foot, that’s all you.

it’ll be just like WL with the boats. During bad weather, you take the busses. Why is it so acceptable for WL during such weather but such a deal breaker for Riviera? :confused3

There is a difference in that WL already operates both bus and boat to MK so if there is a change there is no wait for transporation to keep up with it. If for example you've ever been to another resort such as PVB or VGF when the monorail is suddenly shut down and they need to bring buses into service you know that is not an instantanous reaction. What is a 10 minute or so trip turns into an hour or more. If Riviera is going to operate buses along the routes along with the Gondola then it should be a non-issue there too.

$150. Resale restriction is overstated. You always hear buy where you want to own. Many people on this board have not seen the rooms at the preview center in person. I bet if they did, even though the resort is not finished yet, some opinionS would change. Skyliner, restaurants, amenities, 50 year life span, 5 different room types (with studios sleeping 5). There will be plenty of people that will want to own here.
I've seen it, and it doesn't appeal to me. Maybe a one time trip, but definitely not committing to it for the entire life of the contract. That's the opposite of what attracted me to DVC in the first place

What inside info do you have??? I'd be shocked if Disney takes it no matter what the price, especially if they really are struggling a bit with Rivera direct sales.

Edited to make some sense!
It was sold by Buy and Sell DVC and was listed at 130 a point December contract. However, the broker was putting it on Facebook it sold well under 130. However, she quickly started saying because of the sale not being finalized she can't share more (any sharing of the sale info from her or the company would have been violation of the client's trust likely, perhaps someone knows the actual seller or buyer). However, we shall see what well under 130 is. If I was listing with them I would have been upset with even the "well under 130" comment being made public before finalizing the sale (I mean sales do fail). Once it records we will have a better idea if the comment was "smoke and mirrors" or more true to the actual situation.

It was sold by Buy and Sell DVC and was listed at 130 a point December contract. However, the broker was putting it on Facebook it sold well under 130. However, she quickly started saying because of the sale not being finalized she can't share more (any sharing of the sale info from her or the company would have been violation of the client's trust likely, perhaps someone knows the actual seller or buyer). However, we shall see what well under 130 is. If I was listing with them I would have been upset with even the "well under 130" comment being made public before finalizing the sale (I mean sales do fail). Once it records we will have a better idea if the comment was "smoke and mirrors" or more true to the actual situation.
My first thought was I wonder if Pete bought it!

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a resale purchase for Riveria unless it's at least $20 - $30 less per point than what SSR is going for, and even than I would probably just buy SSR over Riveria. So, in today's market, I would say that's $70 a point at best.

For anybody willing to pay more for Riveria, more power to them. That's why it's a free market, and I don't always get what want to pay :).

Great3
This exactly.

I'm personally surprized they didn't list the contract for something substantially higher. List price of $165 would have drawn interest and maybe a buyer who knows...

I'm personally surprized they didn't list the contract for something substantially higher. List price of $165 would have drawn interest and maybe a buyer who knows...
Why would you buy resale with the booking restrictions at $165 when direct is $188 with full benefits and no booking restrictions, and with the incentives it can be much lower than $188.

Why would you buy resale with the booking restrictions at $165 when direct is $188 with full benefits and no booking restrictions, and with the incentives it can be much lower than $188.

I know it is kinda like selling a used car but... You always list an item with really limited supply higher than you'd actually accept. At least I would.. If you asked for $165, who knows maybe you get it. Or maybe you get offers in the $150 range.

I also think one factor that may influence hw people vote on the resale prediction is whether you a are a direct only owner versus some resale owner. People who have bought resale have been through the analysis and determined resale was worth it even with the old limitations. I can tell you personally, even though I bought resale with the intent to own until the end of the contract, "knowing" if I ever needed the cash I could always sell my contract impacted my decision. The track history gave me confidence to pay what I did. Also, resale prices (not list prices, but actual sale price) are "set" by resale buyers, by definition. The current owner, whether obtained direct or by resale, sets the list price, but the person buying the contract sets the resale price. It really comes down to a simple case of Supply and Demand. The resale buyers are the Demand. At some level the Supply is a mix of L14 and DVC2 contracts, if resale buyers place a premium on the contracts without the one resort restriction, that will drive down the Demand for those contracts. And thus, it would drive down the price. Time will tell, but I can tell you my personal interest level would be around $100-$110 and I would only do a <=75 point contract. I would bank and borrow points and only stay there every 2-3 years. A larger contract would impact my ability to experience different resorts. I think the actual price may settle a little above that, but not much. That will put DVC in the nice position, once sold out, of being able to just watch the rofr contracts floating by them, and if they have a demand from someone to buy RR from them, they can just grab the next one going by and make the margin they need. They will let some pass, just because they have a limited demand, but they will have great margin on the ones they can "flip". I see them like a big grizzly in the river during a salmon run. Lots of juicy contracts swimming by, they just can't eat all of them, so some pass by.

I know it is kinda like selling a used car but... You always list an item with really limited supply higher than you'd actually accept. At least I would.. If you asked for $165, who knows maybe you get it. Or maybe you get offers in the $150 range.
Well, we know that new resorts (CCV) are getting 150s-160s resale and they have no restrictions on trading. So, the question is how much is trading worth. I say at least $30/pp. Could be worth even double that.

I say this about all contracts with a lot of life in them (CCV, PVB, VGF): to me, it doesn't make sense to buy those resorts resale if you intend to hold them for a long time. The difference in price between direct and resale is negligible if you need an AP. Not to mention 12...24 months after you purchase direct, the resale price will have risen close to if not past your direct purchase price. It becomes a wash (but then again the 2019 direct price increases may change that, though I still maintain 45-50 years is so long that you will still come out ahead long term on a direct purchase under certain circumstances).

My guess is the Riviera market is going to be weird and erratic. Especially before it is sold out when DVC/DVD isn't exercising ROFR on sales.

Or it just sits. If this was listed at $130 and still sold much lower there’s no way the offers would come in around $150.

I also think the people selling Rivera so soon after purchase also are probably very motivated sellers with a need to sell so they probably can’t afford to let a contract sit for a few months with no offers at a high price.

So cats out of the bag with Pete's most recent blog post on DVCfan - so since it's not longer "insider" knowledge I can share. The Riviera contract that went up for sale was posted at $133 but it SOLD for $100. No idea yet if it passed ROFR yet. Now this is one single contract and we have no idea how stressed the seller was - but it is NOT a good sign for Riviera resale market to start. I honestly don't think the price will start this low, but I could really believe that the price settles that low in few years.

Understand that Disney is selling to those that are asking that the reason for the resale restrictions is that "Members are demanding further differentiation from resale buyers." which is IMO complete BS. This does NOT help the direct buyer at all, and in fact it PUNISHES the direct buyer that has the misfortune of having to sell. In addition, in 10-15 years when there are a lot of resale contracts at the resort, those owners will all be booking at 11 months with no other options, making direct owners having a harder time booking at their own resort.

I do hope the sales are slow and that Disney rolls back the restriction "due to Member Demand".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter