Pop Century Room Renovations

Re: cockroaches. I lived in the tropics, and there is really no way to avoid them completely. Exterior corridors in values and moderates simply mean they can't avoid all bugs in Florida. We had bugs in a suite at the Ritz in Kapalua (Maui) even; we just had them spray a bit (also geckos on the balcony, but we had them at home too).

Yeah, it really is different living in the south/tropics. I mean, before I moved south, I would've never imagined having to try to catch a salamander off the wall of my apartment but yet that happened. I mean, it's still not Australia, since you don't have to worry about the creepy crawlies that sneak inside killing you, but yeah, I can see how it can put off the uninitiated.

Ugh. I just added roach spray to my packing list.

Palmetto bugs = American cockroach

I've stayed at Pop many times and never saw a roach.

I did see some at Polynesian though. You have more chance of seeing them by water.

They can flatten themselves and crawl right under the door.

I would never move to Florida because of them. Nothing freaks me out more than those things. They are huge, and they fly!!!

I've never seen a cockroach at pop (or AS Sports) but there was a HUGE rat near the RAC desk at pop one year. We watched it zigzag around luggage for a few minutes, hoping it would encourage people to jump out of the long line so we could move. No such luck ;)

We've seen lots of palmetto bugs at Pop when we go in August. They seem to come out at dusk. There were quite a few at CSR last August too. Maybe they are plentiful that time of year. One did get into our room at Pop a few years back. We just scooped him up in a glass and brought him back to his friends outside. Lol.

I was doing laundry at 3am the other night and the curtins were open on several rooms. I took these pictures. View attachment 238620 View attachment 238621

Thanks so much @StrwLady!! Do you happen to remember any details about the second to bottom pic that appears to have a normal table? Was it possibly a king room as they won't have a Murphy bed?

Excited to see plugs and USB ports by the night tables!

@StrwLady

Well done on the refurb recon mission!

Super happy to see easy access plugs and USB outlets!

I can't wait for someone to actually get into one of these rooms. I really want to see the dressing/bathroom area setup. Sliding doors on the shower? What's the storage like behind the wall? What kind of coffee maker will we have? It's all a mystery!!:D

Thanks so much @StrwLady!! Do you happen to remember any details about the second to bottom pic that appears to have a normal table? Was it possibly a king room as they won't have a Murphy bed?

Excited to see plugs and USB ports by the night tables!

If you look at the last photo it appears that the beverage center might be next to the bed, which would make me think it is a king room. The room with the table is also a connecting room. Do king rooms usually, or ever, have connecting rooms?

Am also happy to see plugs/USB ports on the night table although those tables do look awfully small. Hopefully that means there are more Plugs/USB ports in the room. Sadly, I don't see any built into the dresser, which would be an ideal spot for them. Hopefully the beverage center, which would also be an ideal location, will gets some also

Last edited:
If you look at the last photo it appears that the beverage center might be next to the bed? The room with the table is also a connecting room. Do king rooms ever have connecting rooms.

Am also happy to see plugs/USB ports on the night table. Hopefully that means there are more of them on the room.

I think you're on to something. I do think that's the corner of the beverage center that we see next to the bed in that picture. And the more I look at it and compare it to other pictures of the mock-up rooms as well as the refurbished rooms, I'm pretty sure that's a king bed. I've been trying to compare the width of the headboard to the width of the lighting fixture/artwork above the bed. In this particular picture, it looks like the headboard is several inches wider than the lighting fixture/artwork. In the pictures where we know we're looking at a queen bed, the headboard doesn't seem to extend quite as far on either side (though that could be an illusion due to the angle of the picture). And if it's a king room, it would make perfect sense that there's a free-standing table in the room since there's no murphy bed table.

And yes, there are some King rooms that connect to a standard double. And I think that's what we're looking at in that picture.

If you look at the last photo it appears that the beverage center might be next to the bed, which would make me think it is a king room. The room with the table is also a connecting room. Do king rooms usually, or ever, have connecting rooms?

Am also happy to see plugs/USB ports on the night table although those tables do look awfully small. Hopefully that means there are more Plugs/USB ports in the room. Sadly, I don't see any built into the dresser, which would be an ideal spot for them. Hopefully the beverage center, which would also be an ideal location, will gets some also

I think you're on to something. I do think that's the corner of the beverage center that we see next to the bed in that picture. And the more I look at it and compare it to other pictures of the mock-up rooms as well as the refurbished rooms, I'm pretty sure that's a king bed. I've been trying to compare the width of the headboard to the width of the lighting fixture/artwork above the bed. In this particular picture, it looks like the headboard is several inches wider than the lighting fixture/artwork. In the pictures where we know we're looking at a queen bed, the headboard doesn't seem to extend quite as far on either side (though that could be an illusion due to the angle of the picture). And if it's a king room, it would make perfect sense that there's a free-standing table in the room since there's no murphy bed table.

And yes, there are some King rooms that connect to a standard double. And I think that's what we're looking at in that picture.

From looking at the bed platform, I too believe that is a King room.

I did see some at Polynesian though. You have more chance of seeing them by water.

I would never move to Florida because of them. Nothing freaks me out more than those things. They are huge, and they fly!!!

Every time I think we should just pack up and move to Florida, I stumble across stuff like THIS and realize there's a reason I live in a colder climate! ICK!

I am at the pop now and was talking to one of the front desk CMs and asked her about the roll in shower King Double room. That category is going away. She said there will be the room categories are changing. There will be rooms with tubs but a lot of rooms with showers only. She also said there will be fewer king beds available now.

Yay for more showers. I don't know why, but I do not like hotel rooms with tubs unless it is a legit soaker tub.

I don't take baths but after a long day on your feet in parks I got in habit of filling tub ankle deep adding ice and soaking before bed - last trip we got a king HA room and I missed my soaking at night - ice bucket doesn't quite work

Every time I think we should just pack up and move to Florida, I stumble across stuff like THIS and realize there's a reason I live in a colder climate! ICK!

Yeah, and we're likely moving back to Hawaii, but this time I insist on a condo! We had a house (on a Marine base), and there you had to vacuum daily due to yard roaches that get in under the door (and die, thanks Raid) and ants in the bedroom. I had a friend who lived in a condo (high up) and never had geckos.

I also don't take baths at Disney ever, but the roll in shower (one kid needs, can't stand in the shower due to POTS, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome which means passing out). And we can't share a bed, so need two beds.

I don't take baths but after a long day on your feet in parks I got in habit of filling tub ankle deep adding ice and soaking before bed - last trip we got a king HA room and I missed my soaking at night - ice bucket doesn't quite work

I do the same thing. I take advil every 4-5 hrs and then at night soak my feet. It is so relaxing. If the rooms don't have tubs then maybe bringing a small tub will work, probably more so if you're driving though.

Just booked for Christmas. I'm assuming the renovations will be done by then? We stayed at POP when it first opened and loved it. This was a surprise booking as I just hopped on the site to see the deals and it was too good of a price to pass up.

Just booked for Christmas. I'm assuming the renovations will be done by then? We stayed at POP when it first opened and loved it. This was a surprise booking as I just hopped on the site to see the deals and it was too good of a price to pass up.

Renovations are scheduled to be finished in Spring 2018 (I believe the permits go through April). I doubt they will be finished by Christmas of this year. They started in early March and still haven't (to the best of our knowledge) completely finished any rooms -- though based on pictures, they're very, very close. The construction work checklist indicates a 3-week turnaround on rooms, though it's been over 2 months since they started. The first refurbished rooms are rumored to be going in to inventory in June.

I actually hope we DON'T get a refurbished room. I need to add a air mattress and found pics only of air mattress fitting beside the TV stand. With the beverage center that won't be possible. I have a teen boy and teen girl, they need separate beds. Fortunately renovations won't be near finished in Sept so I can politely request an old room ;)

:scared1: Oh no they can flatten themselves ? Ugh.

We had a gecko and a bug in our offsite room last time.

It's life sometimes.

Living in Oklahoma, I've had brown recluses in my bed, black widows in our carport, snakes in the yard, scorpions caught in glue traps....it's just life in the south.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter