Pop up ads on these boards... WAy more obnoxious than in the past??

Stinasmom

DIS Veteran
I have lurked or been quite active on these boards since 2005... and I am a capitalist with an Economics Degree from a major university...
And I understand Pete and the owners of these boards seeking the opportunity to make back the investment it takes to run the boards.

But even after I sign in these HUGE ads cover my entire screen! Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 5.53.40 PM.png
Even when you scroll a bit you are luck to get a view of 1/3 of the screen that is not ad!
Not liking this change.
Just sayin' :sad2:

I have lurked or been quite active on these boards since 2005... and I am a capitalist with an Economics Degree from a major university...
And I understand Pete and the owners of these boards seeking the opportunity to make back the investment it takes to run the boards.

But even after I sign in these HUGE ads cover my entire screen! View attachment 714069
Even when you scroll a bit you are luck to get a view of 1/3 of the screen that is not ad!
Not liking this change.
Just sayin' :sad2:
Do you have an ad blocker? They're wonderful for eliminating ads.

I used to have that problem and stopped posting for awhile. When I decided to try again, I don't see any ads anymore so I'm guessing I have an ad blocker now. LOL

Yup, adblocker works great on every website I use. Eliminate those annoying ads for things I would never buy anyway.

Ad blocker works great on my desktop, using Chrome. Mobile device is a different story. So many ads, blocking what I am trying to read, jumping in the way when I go to touch a link (makes me click the ad instead. The ads on mobile are nauseating. They are nasty for sure.

I have and adblocker however i have noticed a few times in the past 5 weeks or so when I come here there are ads. Not every day, and most strangely, ONLY in the morning. After noon, no more ads.

Ad blocker works great on my desktop, using Chrome. Mobile device is a different story. So many ads, blocking what I am trying to read, jumping in the way when I go to touch a link (makes me click the ad instead. The ads on mobile are nauseating. They are nasty for sure.
Do you have an adblocker on your mobile device? I have one there too and have no problems. If you do have one, make sure it's activated.

This topic comes up like every other week. And over and over many of us keep saying to download AdBlock Plus. It's a browser add-on.

Maybe some of you don't believe it works so you don't download it? :confused3

This is what the top of my DISboards page looks like. I have NO banner, no ads:

disboardstop-jpg.703990

This is what the bottom looks like:

disboardsbottom-jpg.703991

I was able to figure out how to personalize & configure AdBlock Plus on my computer to block even MORE stuff on a page. :cheer2: I have been able to get rid of ads on the DIS completely and even the section of Disney Headlines on the bottom of the page. Essentially the extra 3 inches of stuff that shows up at the bottom of every page. The more stuff that is blocked, the faster a page loads.

To configure and personalize:
Once AdBlock Plus is installed, there will be a little red icon in the toolbar (address bar) at the top of the browser page. Click on that. A pop-up box for AdBlock Plus shows up. Scroll down and click on the blue box saying "Block element." Then use your cursor (mouse) to scroll around the page. You will see sections of stuff turning pink. (Sometimes it's huge sections and sometimes you can refine it further to just exclude a little section within the bigger section. Click on the pink area you want blocked. (You can later undo it if you want it back.) Repeat for every section/item you want blocked. :thumbsup2

Sometimes you have to click on the same item and block it a second time before it disappears, as maybe there is an extra code or something that needs to get blocked. For the DIS ads at the bottom of the page, I had to click on each ad box separately, and possibly the larger section too, to finally remove them all.

I did this for YouTube too. There are usually suggestions for other videos to watch that appear near the end while watching a video. Those boxes often block the view of what's going on in the video. I blocked each suggestion box and now, they only appear as an outline of a clear box, to show there was something there and I can watch the whole video unobstructed.

Do you have an adblocker on your mobile device? I have one there too and have no problems. If you do have one, make sure it's activated.
Adblocker makes its own browser for Android. I prefer to continue using Chrome. There are no Ad block apps for Android. There are for Apple phones though as I understand it.

I started using Firefox on my Android device because it does have an adblocker you can install unlike Chrome. It's worked excellent for me so far.

This topic comes up like every other week. And over and over many of us keep saying to download AdBlock Plus. It's a browser add-on.

Maybe some of you don't believe it works so you don't download it? :confused3

This is what the top of my DISboards page looks like. I have NO banner, no ads:

disboardstop-jpg.703990

This is what the bottom looks like:

disboardsbottom-jpg.703991

I was able to figure out how to personalize & configure AdBlock Plus on my computer to block even MORE stuff on a page. :cheer2: I have been able to get rid of ads on the DIS completely and even the section of Disney Headlines on the bottom of the page. Essentially the extra 3 inches of stuff that shows up at the bottom of every page. The more stuff that is blocked, the faster a page loads.

To configure and personalize:
Once AdBlock Plus is installed, there will be a little red icon in the toolbar (address bar) at the top of the browser page. Click on that. A pop-up box for AdBlock Plus shows up. Scroll down and click on the blue box saying "Block element." Then use your cursor (mouse) to scroll around the page. You will see sections of stuff turning pink. (Sometimes it's huge sections and sometimes you can refine it further to just exclude a little section within the bigger section. Click on the pink area you want blocked. (You can later undo it if you want it back.) Repeat for every section/item you want blocked. :thumbsup2

Sometimes you have to click on the same item and block it a second time before it disappears, as maybe there is an extra code or something that needs to get blocked. For the DIS ads at the bottom of the page, I had to click on each ad box separately, and possibly the larger section too, to finally remove them all.

I did this for YouTube too. There are usually suggestions for other videos to watch that appear near the end while watching a video. Those boxes often block the view of what's going on in the video. I blocked each suggestion box and now, they only appear as an outline of a clear box, to show there was something there and I can watch the whole video unobstructed.
I have Adblocker Plus and those ads like I said, have slipped through a few times in the past month or so. But also as I said, not every day, and only in the morning. So it does work, most, but not all the time and this is a recent development.

Adblocker makes its own browser for Android. I prefer to continue using Chrome. There are no Ad block apps for Android. There are for Apple phones though as I understand it.
That's what I found to be the case when I had an android and was looking for a blocker. Need a new browser. I now have Apple and have an ad blocker.

I started using Firefox on my Android device because it does have an adblocker you can install unlike Chrome. It's worked excellent for me so far.

::yes:: I have both Chrome & Firefox on my Android phone. I prefer to use Firefox.

Dan, how often are you reading the DIS on your phone that using Firefox just for the DIS would be more annoying than seeing constant pop-ups? You can still use Chrome for everything else.

I have a few apps that were created just for that one thing on my phone. Just think of Firefox as your app dedicated for reading the DIS.

Last edited:
::yes:: I have both Chrome & Firefox on my Android phone. I prefer to use Firefox.

Dan, how often are you reading the DIS on your phone that using Firefox just for the DIS would be more annoying than seeing constant pop-ups? You can still use Chrome for everything else.

I have a few apps that were created just for that one thing on my phone. Just think of Firefox as your app dedicated for reading the DIS.
Okay, I installed Firefox. Still a plethora of ads. What now, Imzadi.

Okay, I installed Firefox. Still a plethora of ads. What now, Imzadi.

Open Firefox. In the upper right corner, click on the 3 dots.

Scroll down and click on Add-ons.

It will give a list of suggestions. I have AdGuard Adblocker installed as they don't have Adblock Plus. (Some others use uBlock Origin, which I heard works too.) You should be good to go once one is added. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter