Portabella Mushroom recipes

stamper

Sammy smiles!
does anyone have any portabella mushroom recipes? I have never tried them, but would like too. Thanks for your help!

so he brushes olive oil on the big mushroom and grill it.....then he adds his to his bun with tomatoes....onions...lettuce and he loves it......they served this to him in Planet Hollywood in Disney......
we also put them on sticks and shiska bob those with other veggies......yummy...also marinade them in flavored sauces of choice.....

Thanks Pumba! I had thought of the shish kabob idea - cause I love todo kabobs!! Any others?

I use Portabello mushrooms when I make and Italian cold cut calzone. My kids love it!

I used to love the portabella mushroom burgers at Ruby Tuesdays! Yummy! They would marinate them in some kind of sauce (Maybe terriyaki or something along that line), grill them, and then serve it on a bun like a burger, with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion! They were THE BEST! We were just there last night and they no longer have them on the menu. :( I'm going to try to attempt to make them at home. Sorry this really isn't a recipe, just an idea.

Thanks - sounds yummy! I want to try the burger idea, but it is about time to put the grill away for the winter.

My grill has been put away. I tried cooking them in a frying pan and they came out pretty lousy. Can anyone offer any cooking suggestions?

I don't have measurements, but here are a couple of ways I do them in the oven:

saute chopped onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms.

cool and add a bit of breadcrumbs, egg and percorino romano cheese (or any cheese you like)

I scape out the gills of the portabella, put in a piece of provolone (again or whatever you like), then stuff with the above mixture.

Coat the out side of the cap with just a bit with oil, put a bit of wine and chicken stock in a baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes at 350º.

The other way I do them is to make a crab cake mixture and stuff the mushrooms with it. I do the same thing with the wine and stock.

I baste them a few times during cooking.

Sometimes I serve them with oven roasted bliss poatoes and a nice salad for a meatless meal.

I remember DH having Portabello mushroom fajitas somewhere. He loved them. They had all the usual ingredients as well (onion, green pepper, tomato, cheese, etc). Guess you'd fix them in a similar way to regular fajitas?

meeshi: I often make a portobello sandwich at home, but it does require the grill. Just cook it until it gets a bit tender and top as you like. I like mine with roasted peppers and provolone or swiss cheese. YUMMY! And I'm not a vegetarian!

d.kurz, I'm not a vegetarian either but I do love those portabella mushroom burgers! I could make them on my George Forman grill. Do you marinate them in anything before you grill them?

No, I don't marinate them. And I cook them underneath side down (does that make sense?) first otherwise the cap part gets a bit tough. Still perfectly delicious, though. Good luck!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I will definately give these a try at home! :)

a good marinade before grilling the "burger":p is balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing. Yum!

We had a portabella mushroom appetizer on a Disney Cruise last year and it was awesome! We're going on another cruise in a few weeks and I'm going to try my hardest to get the recipe. If I'm successful, I'll post the results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter